• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Main slide brings in water when retracting.

ken48316

I just dropped our 2023 310rl at the dealer for the second time to have this resolved.
We had slide toppers installed at the dealer when we purchased the unit new and the first time we retracted the main slide most of the water that had collected on the topper came into the camper. The dealer is going to replace the top seal on the slide out.
Has anyone had any issues with water coming into the camper when retracting the slide? The volume of water is gallons! If it was a small amount i could understand but this is a massive amount of water. We have had this problem from day one and we are purchased the unit new..

Thank you
Ken

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
@ken48316 - you're on the right track, taking the coach to your dealer to look at. The top seal of the slide box opening acts as a squeegee of sorts to scrape the water and debris off the slide as it rolls in.

That said, the volume of water on your slide is curious as the slide topper generally keeps most of the water off the slide roof. Of course, the angle of rain, duration of rain and wind can contribute to water on the slide roof in spite of having a slide topper.

ken48316

@ken48316 - you're on the right track, taking the coach to your dealer to look at. The top seal of the slide box opening acts as a squeegee of sorts to scrape the water and debris off the slide as it rolls in.

That said, the volume of water on your slide is curious as the slide topper generally keeps most of the water off the slide roof. Of course, the angle of rain, duration of rain and wind can contribute to water on the slide roof in spite of having a slide topper.
As the topper retracts the water on top of the topper flows around and onto the top of the slide.. not over the ends but around the side where the topper rolls up... my 2 previous campers had slide toppers and i did not have this issue.
Thank you for your responce. When i get the coach back i will update.

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Did You order the slide toppers from the factory or was this something the dealer installed?

Seems to me as if your slide toppers are not long enough to fully cover the slide out so that way the water falls onto the slide versus onto the ground.

ken48316

Did You order the slide toppers from the factory or was this something the dealer installed?

Seems to me as if your slide toppers are not long enough to fully cover the slide out so that way the water falls onto the slide versus onto the ground.
They were dealer installed..

Grassjohn

In addition to a possible slide seal issue, the topper may not have adequate tension on the retraction spring when they were installed to avoid water pooling in the first place.

ken48316

In addition to a possible slide seal issue, the topper may not have adequate tension on the retraction spring when they were installed to avoid water pooling in the first place.
It does seem to sag... i asked if it was mounted properly and was told that "that is how it is supposed to look". Ill have a closer look when it comes back from the dealer.
Thank you

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
As a reference, my slide-topper is ~2-3" over the slide, so water that might be on the topper will spill off to ground and not on top of slide

1694733505878.png