• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Loose trim in Avenue - has this happened to anyone else?

kmac7800

Yes, ours was only held on by "glue". I guess due to the fancy finish. When I emailed service at Alliance and mentioned it, he suggested just nail it. I think he did not know the finish. However, when I get the mobile RV tech to visit me next, a nail is going in it!

And yes, behind where it is now is a nasty strip of the grey adhesive they used. It is still on the back of the piece and it is smeared everywhere!

//KMac

IMG_1164.jpg

Focker

Yes, ours was only held on by "glue". I guess due to the fancy finish. When I emailed service at Alliance and mentioned it, he suggested just nail it. I think he did not know the finish. However, when I get the mobile RV tech to visit me next, a nail is going in it!

And yes, behind where it is now is a nasty strip of the grey adhesive they used. It is still on the back of the piece and it is smeared everywhere!

//KMac

View attachment 950
Mine did the same thing. I removed mine, cleaned it up, used a new strip VHB tape on it and a gloss black screw in the top and bottom.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
@CharlieO - I've seen lots of loose trim in my RVing days across many brands of RVs. How to repair it is a function of how it was attached and confirming the length of the trim.

I've seen trim bow and pop from being cut too long based on the temperature when it was installed, the aggravated by road vibrations and heating/cooling/humidity variables that happen post-purchase/use.

As @Focker and @kmac7800 have found, sometimes, rather than using brad nails, an adhesive is used during installation. I think the use case there is whether a brad nail would have to go into aluminum or wood structure behind the trim.

I love that @Focker used 3M VHB (very high bond) for his reinstallation. So long as the additional thickness isn't as appearance issue - sounds like a good method in some cases.

CharlieO

@CharlieO - I've seen lots of loose trim in my RVing days across many brands of RVs. How to repair it is a function of how it was attached and confirming the length of the trim.

I've seen trim bow and pop from being cut too long based on the temperature when it was installed, the aggravated by road vibrations and heating/cooling/humidity variables that happen post-purchase/use.

As @Focker and @kmac7800 have found, sometimes, rather than using brad nails, an adhesive is used during installation. I think the use case there is whether a brad nail would have to go into aluminum or wood structure behind the trim.

I love that @Focker used 3M VHB (very high bond) for his reinstallation. So long as the additional thickness isn't as appearance issue - sounds like a good method in some cases.
If it's such a known problem throughout the industry, it should have been corrected by now especially by Alliance's designers. No excuses. There are over 30 staples in a line from ceiling to floor attempting to fasten the center of the wall in the bathroom!! Get the feeling that no one gives a damn in the construction of these trailers....

CornCrib

Happened on mine in a couple of places. around the door, along the ceiling. I just used a small screw instead of a nail, pre-drilled a hole so as not to split the wood, put a dab of glue on the backside and reattached. Filled in the small hole with some colored wood patch ... can't see a thing. Very easy, very quick .. carry all the supplies with me as part of my kit, as I'm sure over the years of ownership others will pop up.

JMHO: definately want be prepared to handle simple things like this yourself and not face downtime with the dealer, or cost with a tech. Also, more than likely, my standards of repair are higher than the dealer .. just popping in a couple of brads will mean it will pop out again in the future. Jim had a good point to check that the trim piece isn't a bit too long, causing the issue ... if so, pull it off, cut a hair off the bottom end and reinstall. This is an easy one.

CharlieO

Happened on mine in a couple of places. around the door, along the ceiling. I just used a small screw instead of a nail, pre-drilled a hole so as not to split the wood, put a dab of glue on the backside and reattached. Filled in the small hole with some colored wood patch ... can't see a thing. Very easy, very quick .. carry all the supplies with me as part of my kit, as I'm sure over the years of ownership others will pop up.

JMHO: definately want be prepared to handle simple things like this yourself and not face downtime with the dealer, or cost with a tech. Also, more than likely, my standards of repair are higher than the dealer .. just popping in a couple of brads will mean it will pop out again in the future. Jim had a good point to check that the trim piece isn't a bit too long, causing the issue ... if so, pull it off, cut a hair off the bottom end and reinstall. This is an easy one.
I’ll keep it in mind for the future. Trailer is currently at dealership having over 13 warranty related issues repaired. Again, not even a year old with less than 1000 road miles

AngusCampbell

We just moved to an Alliance Avenue from another brand we lived in for 2 1/2 years (rhymes with “Jayco”) and yeah we saw a lot of this. I agree it is a combination of temperature changes, road vibrations and hurried building. I use clear GE silicone adhesive with great luck. Sometimes I would trim the length of the loose molding for better fit and to allow for expansion. I Also have handy an inexpensive cordless nail/ brad gun; just be careful of what you are shooting in to.

CharlieO

We just moved to an Alliance Avenue from another brand we lived in for 2 1/2 years (rhymes with “Jayco”) and yeah we saw a lot of this. I agree it is a combination of temperature changes, road vibrations and hurried building. I use clear GE silicone adhesive with great luck. Sometimes I would trim the length of the loose molding for better fit and to allow for expansion. I Also have handy an inexpensive cordless nail/ brad gun; just be careful of what you are shooting in to.
Again, a result of poor design, engineering & workmanship. New company, same known problem not addressed.

Delta262

Yepper! The black plastic trim over the slide bows outwards. The light strip on the front cap fell off about 68 miles from the house on our first trip (hung on by the end where it enters the cap); I had some double sided tape, so I taped it down. Reeeeeel guuuuud!

Bozo

If it's such a known problem throughout the industry, it should have been corrected by now especially by Alliance's designers. No excuses. There are over 30 staples in a line from ceiling to floor attempting to fasten the center of the wall in the bathroom!! Get the feeling that no one gives a damn in the construction of these trailers....
I agree, they don’t use glue where needed and staples so short they’re gauranteed to come out. I have found a hot glue gun helps tremendously.

Delta262

When installing our new mattress, my wife found about six staples under the old mattress. Assume they came from the ‘headboard’, but unsure. Also, when I slid off the original mattress that came on the bed, a sheetrock screw that holds the pneumatic lifts in place jutted out of the wood more than ¼”. Ripped the mattress’s underside. Took out the screw; ground it off; then pulled three more barely covered by wood. Unless Alliance employs the blind, whoever tossed on the mattress should have seen it sticking out. That doesn’t forgive the workers and any QA/QC who should inspect the work. Most buyers replace mattresses, but this one was intended for donation to the needy. Don’t know if anyone will accept a damaged mattress, even though brand new.

Delta262

Again, a result of poor design, engineering & workmanship. New company, same known problem not addressed.
Good to see you have a sense of humor.
Not always. The trim over our slide was popped out the first time we saw it. Dealer was supposed to fix it, but didn’t. Supposed to fix it next week along with a long list of repairs. Trim doesn’t excite me….it’s the mechanical, electrical, and plumbing that causes me grief!

raboud

Have the exact same problem. All of the trim in and around the door to the bath is popping loose. I opened a ticket with Alliance but haven't heard back yet on their standard recommendation.