• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Looking for Inverter sizing guidance

7ACMike

Thank you. Our camping is never over 3 days boon docking and as far as devices, phone chg, lights, TV and possibly furnace when below 50. Wife did tell me she would like real toast in AM for a change so that would only be once per day. The pics I have found of the actual battery box it comes with shows it sits above the drop down area. Mike

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Thank you. Our camping is never over 3 days boon docking and as far as devices, phone chg, lights, TV and possibly furnace when below 50. Wife did tell me she would like real toast in AM for a change so that would only be once per day. The pics I have found of the actual battery box it comes with shows it sits above the drop down area. Mike
If you install 2 Lithium batteries (100 amp hours each) and a 2000 watt inverter, you should be fine. Quick search on Google says the average toaster can pull 1,100 watts, so the 2000w interverter will cover that. If you ever think about running an AC unit on invertere power, you will need 3000w inverter and at least 400 amp hours of lithium batteries....plus a "soft start" on the AC units.

BTW...the heater runs solely on 12v power. Any inverter you add will have zero impact on the heater.

7ACMike

Thank you, I appreciate the info. Most of our camping is spring, fall and 2 months in the winter in the south. From what I am finding the 12 volt fridge will take about 40-50 Amp daily but with 2 batteries and a little sun should be OK. Do keep a small Gen for backup if needed. Thank you again, Mike

CornCrib

Thank you, I appreciate the info. Most of our camping is spring, fall and 2 months in the winter in the south. From what I am finding the 12 volt fridge will take about 40-50 Amp daily but with 2 batteries and a little sun should be OK. Do keep a small Gen for backup if needed. Thank you again, Mike
Mike: Not sure which 12v fridge you have, so my #s may vary from what you'll get.
I have a 16 cuft Norcold in my 32RLS. Specs say it runs at 12amps/hr. I think that's when the compressors are fully running. Once cold, I've observed them to run at about 4.5amps/hr .... so a little over 100 amps per 24 hours. Your solar panel will compensate for that while the sun is shinning. This time of year, we get no solar from 5pm to 8am. So, we'd consume just under 60 amps overnight, until the sun comes up and we start recharging batteries again. Just some rough real world numbers we've observed to assist in your planning.