• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Looking for advice on buying a ‘24 Paradigm 385FL

KingDom

Hi shipmates!
We are going to walk thru a 385FL tomorrow.
I have a concern for pulling a 40 foot rig up a steep hill and scraping coming up and going down.
Any solutions to prevent scraping on a steep grades where I have to turn in on a 90 degree angle?
I’m scraping now with a 33 footer! Will it be worse with a 41’?
I also value your advice on options for safe operation and mechanical functions.
Where are the best availability’s for camping with a 41’?
We call Pittsburgh Pa area home and have traveled within a a 200 mile radius of home.
But next year is our first year of retirement and plan on stretching our wings.
Copilot wants to visit National Parks.
Thank you,
Dom

CornCrib

Welcome, KingDom .. and yowsa!... 90 degree turn on a steep grade with a 41 footer where you're already scraping with a 33 footer? You're ballasts are bigger than mine. Good luck, and see you out on the road. Lot's of 41 footers out there. You should have plenty of choices for camping ..

KingDom

Thank you, CornCrib. Ya, I'm sweating over being able to navigate up and down our country lane without scraping. Truly, a big concern. I would pay someone to bring there big rig over and either "show me" I can or cannot make it happen. I will find a way! So, how do you like your Avenue 32RLS?

CornCrib

We love our 32RLS ... we're not full time, but long time ... we did 133 nights last year. We'll beat that this year. We're both still working full time, so the floorplan allows us to each have an office space separate from each other.

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Does your current RV have 6 ponit auto leveling? If so...do the back jacks hit? I raised our rear jacks from where the factory installed them, as I was not comfortable with how low they looked.

KingDom

Does your current RV have 6 ponit auto leveling? If so...do the back jacks hit? I raised our rear jacks from where the factory installed them, as I was not comfortable with how low they looked.
Hi Jim,
Thank you for taking the time. My Keystone Cougar has a 4 point auto leveler. Its the bumper that scrapes when i go up or down the hill. It is a steep driveway that flattens out on the road below. I may have an opportunity to cut an angle at the bottom of hill so that I don't have to make a 90 degree turn on to the street. Additionally, I plan to pull a 41' Paradigm 385FL with a F350. I currently has a gooseneck. Don't know if a fifth wheel set up, like Pullrite might help. My grandson just moved back here to WV from Oregan. He loved camping out where you are. Hope to get out your way someday soon. thanks again. Dom

Mike in North Wales

KingDom

I don't know the length of the overhang (tailswing) on a 385FL, but if I had to guess, I'd say you will REALLY scrape if your current 33ft does. Can you reconfigure the lane to a more gradual slope? I think I read in one of your other posts that the current bumper drags. Keep in mind that the Alliance doesn't have a bumper, just a receiver. Potential for damage is high.

Good luck with your calculations. I hope it works out for you.

John R

I have a 22 385fl and I pull it with a 19 f350 dually. It is a lot of a trailer but I have never scraped. I believe the alliance sit up higher than other trailers IMO. I will say that I’ve lost a couple of snap pads when I was in couple areas that I caught myself in that wasn’t desired.

KingDom

I have a 22 385fl and I pull it with a 19 f350 dually. It is a lot of a trailer but I have never scraped. I believe the alliance sit up higher than other trailers IMO. I will say that I’ve lost a couple of snap pads when I was in couple areas that I caught myself in that wasn’t desired.
Hi John, what kind of hitch setup do you have? I was advised to measure my current bumper height and compare it to the height of the 385FL rear section. Thanks

KingDom

I have the B&W Companion in the ford puck system
Just saw a B &W today. Beefy. Do you have the slider? I have a f350 with 6 3/4 bed. B&W specd this on their website. Looks more substantial than Pullrite. Thanks for the recommendation.

TCTW

I have a B&W companion (fixed) 6.75 bed mounts in my ford puck system. Love the hitch. I have turn clearance, but it is tight. Considering replacing it with a slider base. B&Ws are a solid product