• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Kitchen Project: Replace Insignia Range with Cooktop only + a Base Cabinet

dwcfish

Manual..... Features, allows 2 20 amp loads to operate on one 20 amp breaker. This was wired to one 15 amp breaker..... Help me with how that will work?
Thanks!

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Jim,

The max on the cooktop is 1800 watts. Yes the fireplace was on and heating.
Thanks!
I completed my cooktop install today following the relocation of the Intellitec AESS.

With the Induction Cooktop on at max (unsure of my unit wattage at the moment), I was able to turn on the Fireplace. After less than a minute of the Fireplace heating element running, the branch breaker tripped.

So a similar result as you had. Which begs the question, is the AESS really working?

I’ll reach out to Intellitec this coming week.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Can I get this as factory option/build? 🤓
Perhaps one day - but not before yours is built my friend.
Once I am done with this, I will present it to the team for their feedback and consideration. I think this and a convection microwave oven is a winner - but that's just me :)

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Perhaps one day - but not before yours is built my friend.
Once I am done with this, I will present it to the team for their feedback and consideration. I think this and a convection microwave oven is a winner - but that's just me :)
I showed your last picture to Melinda and she said "We need that!!" ....and I feel the same way. You're making my mod list longer and longer. :cool:

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Thanks Jim! Let me know what you find out....
Before reaching out to Intellitec, I reached out to our team. Based on their feedback, it was obvious that I had made a wiring error. The cable clamp looking device is actually a current transformer and the 'line' (black hot wire) for the Primary load needs to be run through it. I didn't do that. Check yours and report back. Once I fix my wiring error, I'll retest and report back as well.

AESS.png

dwcfish

Jim - OK. I may not get to looking at this until the weekend. I have not moved mine from below the island. I had tested it at that point. So it may not have been wired correctly at the factory. If you get to it before I do, let me know if this solved the problem.
Thanks!

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Before reaching out to Intellitec, I reached out to our team. Based on their feedback, it was obvious that I had made a wiring error. The cable clamp looking device is actually a current transformer and the 'line' (black hot wire) for the Primary load needs to be run through it. I didn't do that. Check yours and report back. Once I fix my wiring error, I'll retest and report back as well.

So you originally had it wired like this (the red line I added)??

Screenshot 2023-02-27 083530.jpg

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
So you originally had it wired like this (the red line I added)??
Jim - I'm unsure how the factory had it wired originally. When I relocated the AESS and wired it in, I connected it as you drew it. One day soon, I'll contort my body and get back in there and fix it :)

dwcfish

Jim - I got under the island and pulled the cover off the AESS and............it was not wired per your diagram above -this is from the factory, I have not changed anything.

AESS Pic.jpg

So is the black wire just supposed to pass through the loop on the right? The loop is way to big to clamp onto the wire. Let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Jim - I got under the island and pulled the cover off the AESS and............it was not wired per your diagram above -this is from the factory, I have not changed anything.

View attachment 874

So is the black wire just supposed to pass through the loop on the right? The loop is way to big to clamp onto the wire. Let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks!
Yes, the black wire for your primary load should pass through what looks like a loop-style clamp but is in fact, a current transformer.
You'll likely need to add onto the length of that wire to pass it through the CT and to the screw terminal.

Trent Mills

View attachment 870
So this is the way it should be wired? If we want to bypass this, what is the "Primary" or "Secondary" load? Maybe this is a separate topic? Thanks!

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
So this is the way it should be wired? If we want to bypass this, what is the "Primary" or "Secondary" load? Maybe this is a separate topic? Thanks!
Trent - yes, the image in post 31 is how it should be wired. Otherwise, the device doesn't know that the primary load is turned on and consuming current.
For the Paradigm, the Dishwasher outlet and the fireplace outlet are the loads. My guess is that the dishwasher is wired as the primary load. As I don't have a dishwasher, I removed the AESS and splices the line and both loads together in a junction box. Had I not had other plans for it, I wouldn't have needed to leave the AESS installed.

My other plans included relocating the AESS to suit my non-OEM needs. Once I get the AESS wired correctly and tested as functioning as designed, I may indeed create my own thread for the device in the AC Electrical sub-forum. Of you or anyone may feel free to do so and I will contribute to it.

Trent Mills

Trent - yes, the image in post 31 is how it should be wired. Otherwise, the device doesn't know that the primary load is turned on and consuming current.
For the Paradigm, the Dishwasher outlet and the fireplace outlet are the loads. My guess is that the dishwasher is wired as the primary load. As I don't have a dishwasher, I removed the AESS and splices the line and both loads together in a junction box. Had I not had other plans for it, I wouldn't have needed to leave the AESS installed.

My other plans included relocating the AESS to suit my non-OEM needs. Once I get the AESS wired correctly and tested as functioning as designed, I may indeed create my own thread for the device in the AC Electrical sub-forum. Of you or anyone may feel free to do so and I will contribute to it.
Thanks, on my list to look at!

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
So we used the RV this week and I got to use the kitchen remodel stuff. It worked out well. I used the induction cooktop to make an omelet.

Here's what was amazing about it all:
  1. I didn't have to dig the frying pan out of a plastic bin out of a cabinet - I just opened up the middle drawer and grabbed it out
  2. I didn't have to take the portable induction cooktop out of the cabinet above the microwave, remove it from its case and plug it in. It was 'just there' :)
  3. When cleaning up, I didn't have to rebag the portable induction cooktop and put it back in the upper cabinet - it's just remained in place' cause it's part of the permanent cooktop now
Easy peasy now :)