• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Ice Maker

Utah Kid

Can anyone tell me if the Paradigm Norcold 12 volt 19 cubic foot refrigerator has an ice maker. When I looked at it I see nothing there. Model N20DCX.
Thanks

LuckyDog23

Spoke to Brandon in Elkhart. He said they are shipping with Furrion side by sides. Can’t find out if they have ice maker. We use a lot of ice. Cranberry and Tito’s require ice.

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Spoke to Brandon in Elkhart. He said they are shipping with Furrion side by sides. Can’t find out if they have ice maker. We use a lot of ice. Cranberry and Tito’s require ice.
Which model? We just got our 340RL at the end of May and we have the Norcold frig (French doors...freezer on bottom)

LuckyDog23

Brandon is on the Avenue line and he was talking about 2024 model year. Since we are ordering from dealer rather than buying off a lot that may make a difference - maybe? We have decided on the 295.

Last edited:

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Brandon is on the Avenue line and he was talking about 2024 model year. Since we are ordering from dealer rather than buying off a lot that may make a difference - maybe? We have decided on the 295.
Ahhh...from your first post "Can anyone tell me if the Paradigm" I thought you were getting a Paradigm not an Avenue. I saw the side-by-side in the Avenue units while at the National Rally back in May

LuckyDog23

Sorry for confusion. I’ve wavered a lot on the two. Because I had some many Avenue-related questions I send in an email. About three days later Brandon called me and I asked my questions and threw in a few on Paradigm. I asked what fridges they were shipping with and he said Furrion. Now that I think back on the conversation, I can’t say for certain if he said both lines or not. But we want options not on Avenue so we are getting the Paradigm. We’ve been back and forth, that’s for sure.

Oh btw there’s a few 2024 sneak peak floor plans added to the alliance site. All too big for us but one with a bunk house looks just like the North Point with the rear living mid bunk with a desk and office workspace. Very nice for the not retired full timer.

CornCrib

We have the 12v French Door Norcold, no ice maker. We have an $80 Frigidaire countertop ice maker from Costco. Works very well, and quick. In thinking about the built in ice maker, I was not looking forward to dealing with winterizing/dewinterizing a small line .. having to flush out pink ice and such, risking a leak in a small line behind the fridge that is not easily accessible, etc, etc. The countertop seemed much easier, as so far, we're very pleased. At this point, even if we had the built in, we'd probably use the countertop instead. In a few hours, we can make enough ice for a few days, then put it away and out of site, if needed.

Also, if you're so inclined, you can plunk down some more $ and get the highly desired rabbit pellet ice.

LuckyDog23

I also have a portable ice maker and it’s not without problems. It’s too heavy for me to move it so it falls on DH. It has to go in basement storage on our class. It’s great for making ice to put in an ice chest, but cubes are very wet and when added to a freezer they clump together. We don’t have a water line to our fridge in our house so I tried using the ‘portable’ one to make ice and transfer it to the ice bin in my Whirlpool but it got stuck together and the ice dispenser was not happy. I wish it was like grocery store ice which seems to maintain individuality. Our friends have the Itasca version of our rig and have a 10 cu ft Norcold propane / electric fridge it has an ice maker. It’s not a total deal breaker to not get an rv with a fridge and ice maker but I’m going to be very disappointed. I know you can’t get everything on your list because no rig is perfect but with a DH refusing anything over 33’ there’s not much out there that meets all our (my) requirements.

What is the rabbit pellet ice?

Bozo

We have the 12v French Door Norcold, no ice maker. We have an $80 Frigidaire countertop ice maker from Costco. Works very well, and quick. In thinking about the built in ice maker, I was not looking forward to dealing with winterizing/dewinterizing a small line .. having to flush out pink ice and such, risking a leak in a small line behind the fridge that is not easily accessible, etc, etc. The countertop seemed much easier, as so far, we're very pleased. At this point, even if we had the built in, we'd probably use the countertop instead. In a few hours, we can make enough ice for a few days, then put it away and out of site, if needed.

Also, if you're so inclined, you can plunk down some more $ and get the highly desired rabbit pellet ice.
What’s this rabbit pellet ice you speak of? Tell us more.

LuckyDog23

More confused than previously. Looks like no ice maker in the side by side. My counter top ice maker is good for dumping ice into an ice chest with beer and soda, where there’s a lot of water also. But the ice it makes is unsuitable to put in a bin inside the freezer due the nature of how it’s made - first of all the cubes are small hollow cylinders, full of water and they freeze into a solid lump. We have to use this ice maker at home because we have no hookup for the refrigerator. It’s such a hassle that I just buy bags at the store. Our home fridge has a French door pull out tiny freezer. There are no places to put trays since it has no place for them and it sloshes when you shut the freezer drawer. So I pour bagged ice from the grocery store into the ice bin at the top of the refrigerator door. The rest I keep in my chest freezer. Not having an ice maker after having had one before is a huge inconvenience.

As far as pink ice and winterizing — our rig will be inside a storage facility in an area where it never freezes. I just feel that a countertop unit is very impractical and as I said before, I cannot move it myself, it’s too heavy.

A rv with no ice maker might be a deal breaker. That said, a GE Opal would work if there is a permanent place for it with water supply. It makes nugget ice.https://www.geappliances.com/appliance/GE-Profile-Opal-Nugget-Ice-Maker-OPAL01GENSS

CornCrib

What’s this rabbit pellet ice you speak of? Tell us more.
No rabbit pellet ice. They are small oval shapes, about the size of my thumb. I found that the ice makers that produce rabbit pellet ice go up in price pretty quickly ... the law of demand kicks in, I guess.

Mike in North Wales

There is a trick to using a countertop ice maker. It will sound like alot of work, but it's not-
Make a batch of ice.
Dump it in a gallon ziplock bag.
Put it in the freezer, flat if possible.
After it freezes the rest of the way, bang it on the counter to break it up and dump it in your ice bin.
Make a drink. You deserve it.

The hardest part is dumping it in the bag.

Buckeyedan

Our '24 Paradigm 370fb Norcold does have an icemaker. It came factory plumbed with a shut off in the island. Our dealer even had it making ice during our PDI.

LuckyDog23

There is a trick to using a countertop ice maker. It will sound like alot of work, but it's not-
Make a batch of ice.
Dump it in a gallon ziplock bag.
Put it in the freezer, flat if possible.
After it freezes the rest of the way, bang it on the counter to break it up and dump it in your ice bin.
Make a drink. You deserve it.

The hardest part is dumping it in the bag.
You left out “Repair / replace counter. Been there done that, sort of. Before remodeling kitchen I actually broke a bullnose tile off doing that.

LuckyDog23

lol no it was the dripping wet ice from the Igloo ice maker. It gets dumped into a little basket and that basket doesn’t drain well. So when I scoop the ice into a baggie it is very wet ice and I don’t have a shelf in my freezer. It’s a French door with a big drawer and a smaller one that pulls forward. Usually full of lumpy food since we don’t buy thing that come in boxes - it’s irregular shaped meats.