• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Humbly Request Helpful tips for towing a 41' Paradigm 380FL

KingDom

Hi FamAlly,
First I want to thank the Alliance members and staff for their helpful guidance provided.
What a great group of folks!

I currently tow a Cougar 1/2 Ton - 33' with a 2020 F350 Diesel SRW.
We will upgrading to Paradigm 380FL soon.
The thought of going from a 33' to 41' (5'er) has me anxious.

1. What are some helpful tips when pulling up and down steep hills of PA, WV, NC and beyond?

2. What has been some of your best practices and recommendations for pulling into tight campground sites.

Thank you for sharing your valuable experiences and recommendations.

RockDr896

I haul with a 2019 F350 Dually and haul a 370FB. I make sure to use the Engine brake (Huge difference) and put the truck in Tow/Haul mode.

About tight sites:
Our trailers are the same length, so just pay attention to how the trailer wheels track, because they do not follow your trucks wheels. I would estimate at least a 6' to 8' difference in how it tracks. I also have limited steering to further compound the issue. You will get used to it. Maybe do some pull through sites until you get the hang off it?

BryanValRox

Hi FamAlly,
First I want to thank the Alliance members and staff for their helpful guidance provided.
What a great group of folks!

I currently tow a Cougar 1/2 Ton - 33' with a 2020 F350 Diesel SRW.
We will upgrading to Paradigm 380FL soon.
The thought of going from a 33' to 41' (5'er) has me anxious.

1. What are some helpful tips when pulling up and down steep hills of PA, WV, NC and beyond?

2. What has been some of your best practices and recommendations for pulling into tight campground sites.

Thank you for sharing your valuable experiences and recommendations.
Hi there KingDom,

I would agree with RockDr896 regarding the use of TOW/HAUL and Engine/Exhaust Brakes.

On another note, without trying to rain on your parade, Have you reviewed your truck ratings to see how they stack up against the weight of your 380FL?

On the surface and without knowing your actual ratings and weights, It would seem to me that the 380FL is a lot of coach for that F350 SWR.

Not trying to be negative here, just wanted to give you something to think about so that you can base your decisions on solid thinking and enter your new adventure with your eyes wide open.

Have a great day!

KingDom

Hi there KingDom,

I would agree with RockDr896 regarding the use of TOW/HAUL and Engine/Exhaust Brakes.

On another note, without trying to rain on your parade, Have you reviewed your truck ratings to see how they stack up against the weight of your 380FL?

On the surface and without knowing your actual ratings and weights, It would seem to me that the 380FL is a lot of coach for that F350 SWR.

Not trying to be negative here, just wanted to give you something to think about so that you can base your decisions on solid thinking and enter your new adventure with your eyes wide open.

Have a great day!
Hi there KingDom,

Have a great day!

Hi there KingDom,

Have a great day!
Hi Bryan, we have confirmed the weight ratings and believe we are good. But I will measure twice and cut once. Thanks for your insights.
i haven’t used tow mode and engine brake at same time. When I was using tow mode only I found that my engine rpm’s would rev high going down hill and I couldn’t figure out how to shift up. When I turned tow mode off and went engine brakes I felt like I had better control. I’ve got to better understand how tow mode func better.
Thanks for your cares and input. It’s valued.

KingDom

I haul with a 2019 F350 Dually and haul a 370FB. I make sure to use the Engine brake (Huge difference) and put the truck in Tow/Haul mode.

About tight sites:
Our trailers are the same length, so just pay attention to how the trailer wheels track, because they do not follow your trucks wheels. I would estimate at least a 6' to 8' difference in how it tracks. I also have limited steering to further compound the issue. You will get used to it. Maybe do some pull through sites until you get the hang off it?
Thanks Rocky.
when you talk about wheels tracking are you referring to how soon they turn? is your limited steering due to dually setup?
I’ll probably practice in the Walmart lot before going out on our maiden voyage.
Do have any issues finding premium camp spots in state or national parks with your big rig?
Thanks for your time and recommendations.

RockDr896

My understanding of how to use the two is this:
When using the Exhaust brake ONLY, a person has to shift manually. When used with Tow/Haul feature, it happens automatically. Tow/haul keeps your transmission in the correct power band of the transmission in case you need to accelerate. I am sure there are better educated persons on this forum who can correct/educate me on this if I am wrong....and please do so! I use both and do experience the higher RPM's. The tow/haul feature ignores the fuel saving feature apparently by design.

BryanValRox

Hi Bryan, we have confirmed the weight ratings and believe we are good. But I will measure twice and cut once. Thanks for your insights.
i haven’t used tow mode and engine brake at same time. When I was using tow mode only I found that my engine rpm’s would rev high going down hill and I couldn’t figure out how to shift up. When I turned tow mode off and went engine brakes I felt like I had better control. I’ve got to better understand how tow mode func better.
Thanks for your cares and input. It’s valued.
Hi KingDom,
Please understand that my intention is NOT to beat the capacity topic to death and I certainly respect everyone’s input to this topic, please take a look at more then just the TOWING capacity.
Think about specific parameters that go into towing the coach.
Breaking it down a bit, are you confident that you will be within your GVWR, GCWR, PAYLOAD, AXLE and TIRE ratings of your SWR? Will you have enough margin for your own “Tummy Comfort”

Below is a copy of my recently previous post on this topic. Give it a read, measure twice, cut once and if your good, your good!

Hi Folks, the answer to your question lies within the numbers.
I would suggest that you look at your door tag on your truck and see what the GVWR, Axle, Tire, Payload, and GCWR numbers are. Then compare to the specs and actual numbers from the given trailer that you are looking at. Specific to the trailer, your are concerned with hitch/pin weight and GCWR and actual trailer weight.
Also, sounds like you have a short bed and the trailer has a rotating pin box so you are aware of possible cab clearance issues when turning.
Please remember that EVERYTHING that goes into or on the truck reduces the available payload capacity. And EVERYTHING that goes into the trailer impacts the numbers to some degree.
As a example, some hitches weight @ 300lbs and that reduces your payload by the same as soon as you install it.

Remember trailer specs are usually listed for base models and if you spec extras, like washer dryer or generator options, they will have a big impact on your trailer pin weight. Don’t ask me how I know;).

So back to less controversial topics of tow haul and engine brakes.

At a very high level, Tow/Haul is effectively preventing the transmission from excessive shifting. It basically prevents the transmission from shifting into the top gear of the transmission. Many transmission in todays truck have at least 1 overdrive gear as the top gear or in some cases 2 overdrives as the top two ratios. These OD ratios are less than a 1:1 ratio and are designed to lower engine rpms to improve fuel mileage. So when the tow haul is engaged, your cruise rpm would in fact be higher at a given speed over the next higher gear at the same speed. The same would apply down hill, you rpms would be higher at a given speed. In most cases Engine Brakes/Exhaust Brakes are in fact more effective at higher rpms than they are at lower ones. Remember this is a high level conversation and there are limits to be concerned with. So it is important to understand the operation of both modes and cause and effect of each on its own and the combination of both in operation at the same time. I am sure this topic would be covered in your owners manual.

Hope this helps!
Best regards.

Last edited:

Grassjohn

When we graduated from a 38 foot Cougar to a 385FL, my concerns were the additional 4,000+ lb dry weight and 13’ 4” height. I ordered the disk brakes, and had to replan my arrival and departure routes at my house, which is on a tree-lined street. If you ever go to Norfolk via the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, the clearance says 13’ 6”, but I called ahead and they assured me there was plenty of margin - I still had a major case of pucker factor and caught myself ducking in the seat.

Steve Dammann

Hi there KingDom,

Have a great day!
Agree 100 percent. What is the hitch weight of the 380 probably going over on your GVWR

Tgrfan2

I can't speak to the F350 SRW except to say I have towed using a F550 with a lot heavier load. I was surprised by how smooth and well it shifted in TH mode. I normally manually shift my Ram when towing on hills etc even in TH mode.
At my last weighing, my 385FL had a pin wgt of 3350#. I carry a Honda 3000 in the gen bay, a Porter Cable pancake compressor and some 20V tools in the front bay. It pulls very well behind my Ram 3500 SRW from the mountains to the sea.

Hotrodjohn

I towed a 340 with a single rear wheel Chevy/Duramax. Did it tow? Yes. Did I like it 100%? No. Dually Duramax now. Rock solid even towing with bad winds…….