• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

How cold is too cold?

Turfengineer

I am planning to use my 32rls the week after Thanksgiving but the temps may be a little lower than I had hoped. How cold is too cold for the plumbing system? Assuming I will be actively staying in it, are 20 degree nights a concern?

dwcfish

We have a 32RLS and have camped as low as 14 degrees. We do cover the windows with reflectex at night when it is below 30 degrees. You do need to be running the furnace and tank heaters.

TJJ

If your 32RLS is like ours the heating system is pretty anemic.I straightened out the kinked ducts but still very little heat is produced.We have resorted to using space heaters and buddy heaters.

dwcfish

I also have a 32RLS. Have previously posted that I removed a substantial amount of excess duct work. I also added a new duct/vent that runs directly from the furnace to a spot by the door. This is it's own run. The volume of hot air that comes out of it is huge. There is a spot on the furnace to attach an additional run. Best improvement in the heating of the rig. Took about an hour to install this.

DanNJanice

I also have a 32RLS. Have previously posted that I removed a substantial amount of excess duct work. I also added a new duct/vent that runs directly from the furnace to a spot by the door. This is it's own run. The volume of hot air that comes out of it is huge. There is a spot on the furnace to attach an additional run. Best improvement in the heating of the rig. Took about an hour to install this.
Did you bring the duct out under the stairs or another location?

dwcfish

I have it coming out the side of the cabinet. Used a round vent the you can turn to have the air blow a certain direction.PXL_20231215_005057181.jpg

CornCrib

I have it coming out the side of the cabinet. Used a round vent the you can turn to have the air blow a certain direction.View attachment 1562
did you build a wall in the cabinet to section that off? How much room from the cabinet does it take up? ... and sorry, but I don't recall ... have you posted more pics on this in an earlier post?

Thanks!

dwcfish

No, I ran flex ducting from the furnace behind the cabinet, brought the duct through the space where all the wiring is behind the fuse panel. The vent just had to be below the drawer. I think I spent about $35 doing this. The air flow coming out of the vent is remarkable. The hardest part of this is getting the knockout out of the furnace case -i did not want to pull the furnace out. Accessed this through the back of the pantry cabinet. You can order the collar on Amazon Suburban 050715 4" Duct Collar, Grey https://a.co/d/4uSknre

CornCrib

No, I ran flex ducting from the furnace behind the cabinet, brought the duct through the space where all the wiring is behind the fuse panel. The vent just had to be below the drawer. I think I spent about $35 doing this. The air flow coming out of the vent is remarkable. The hardest part of this is getting the knockout out of the furnace case -i did not want to pull the furnace out. Accessed this through the back of the pantry cabinet. You can order the collar on Amazon Suburban 050715 4" Duct Collar, Grey https://a.co/d/4uSknre
Forgot about the fuse panel being there .. makes sense.

Found your previous post .... forgot it was there.

32RLS Heat Duct Fix

Last edited:
I also had significant problems with the heating performance in my 32RLS. Under warranty, the tangle and excess duct lengths were fixed, a second dedicated duct was added to the kitchen island plenum and an additional dedicated duct and outlet was added at the toe kick below the coffee bar. Problem solved!

The spec for the Suburban 35,000 BTU furnace requires the equivalent outflow air volume from at least four 4” ducts. The factory installation in my 2022 32RLS only have three 4” ducts. This strangled airflow frequently triggered the furnace limit switch which turns off the propane burner.

I now have five 4” ducted outlets and that actually works!

Likin' Bikin'

How about cold weather travel days? Currently sitting in Ohio (and in use) but heading south in a week and wonder about transporting? Doubt if it's a great idea to run furnace in closed-up configuration, but don't want to go to use of anti-freeze. Turn tank heaters on and put 'er in Drive? Thanks for your thoughts on this one!