• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Hoping it gets better...

Hilldweller

Member
Hi, I'm Bill. Better known for overlanding but I've been heading down the glamping path for a few years now. We just bought a Delta 262RB last Saturday the 19th --- it's still at the dealership but that will be the topic of a separate thread.

Our trailer journey, me, my wife Mirtes, and first dog Jessi, second dog Suzi

Transitioning from hiking/tenting, our first trailer was a South African military trailer, a Conqueror Compact. A very very robust item, tankish, big rooftop tent on a box on wheels. Went anywhere the Jeep could go.


But we live in the southeast and it rains here. Often. Lots of rain. And wet canvas sucks, especially if you have to put your trailer in the garage when you get home and the garage roof won't allow you to open the tent fully to dry out. So you have to open it slightly, very creatively, and place fans all over the place at strategic angles to dry the canvas for three days...
...heavy sigh...
We both decided no more canvas. Ever.

So we bought a teardrop. An offroad teardrop. No canvas. Skid plates made of steel. Same tires and wheels as the Jeep. grunt grunt It was too heavy for the little Jeep so I bought a Power Wagon (and then a bigger Jeep).
We loved that thing and used the heck out of it for 10 years. But, our aging bodies forced us to look for something we could stand up in.


So we looked for a trailer that would fit in the garage, have hard sides (bear country), residential length bed (I'm 6'5"), plenty of headroom. Added bonus of having a cassette toilet.
Chalet wasn't happening anymore. Aliner was the only thing selling in the area. So we got one.

They're not built very sturdy, not that well insulated, but they sure do tow great and the headroom is amazing. After fixing all the stupid crap I can finally say I love it.
But all of a sudden my wife said it was time for our retirement trailer, an Alliance Delta, even though we're not quite retired.

We had it over 5 years with it and no slideshow yet. I feel ashamed...

img_20230112_092910232-2-jpg.93242
 

Jwtsg

Well-known member
Congratulations & Welcome to the forum from Oregon! Wishing you continued memorable adventures & safe travels w your new rig! Am sure you will enjoy your adventures! Active forum, friendly, knowledgeabl, experienced members,,,willing & able to assist or advise on any questions you may have! Enjoy 👍🌞🍀 !!!
 

M and E

Elite Member
Hi, I'm Bill. Better known for overlanding but I've been heading down the glamping path for a few years now. We just bought a Delta 262RB last Saturday the 19th --- it's still at the dealership but that will be the topic of a separate thread.

Our trailer journey, me, my wife Mirtes, and first dog Jessi, second dog Suzi

Transitioning from hiking/tenting, our first trailer was a South African military trailer, a Conqueror Compact. A very very robust item, tankish, big rooftop tent on a box on wheels. Went anywhere the Jeep could go.


But we live in the southeast and it rains here. Often. Lots of rain. And wet canvas sucks, especially if you have to put your trailer in the garage when you get home and the garage roof won't allow you to open the tent fully to dry out. So you have to open it slightly, very creatively, and place fans all over the place at strategic angles to dry the canvas for three days...
...heavy sigh...
We both decided no more canvas. Ever.

So we bought a teardrop. An offroad teardrop. No canvas. Skid plates made of steel. Same tires and wheels as the Jeep. grunt grunt It was too heavy for the little Jeep so I bought a Power Wagon (and then a bigger Jeep).
We loved that thing and used the heck out of it for 10 years. But, our aging bodies forced us to look for something we could stand up in.


So we looked for a trailer that would fit in the garage, have hard sides (bear country), residential length bed (I'm 6'5"), plenty of headroom. Added bonus of having a cassette toilet.
Chalet wasn't happening anymore. Aliner was the only thing selling in the area. So we got one.

They're not built very sturdy, not that well insulated, but they sure do tow great and the headroom is amazing. After fixing all the stupid crap I can finally say I love it.
But all of a sudden my wife said it was time for our retirement trailer, an Alliance Delta, even though we're not quite retired.

We had it over 5 years with it and no slideshow yet. I feel ashamed...

img_20230112_092910232-2-jpg.93242
Great introduction! Interesting history. Enjoy!
 

Hilldweller

Member
Well then, I'll log the Alliance purchase experience here rather than start a new thread.


The story, my profound disappointment with the dealership, the Alliance trip, etc.

We went way up to this dealership, Blue Compass Chattanooga (actually located in Ringold, GA) in the first place because my wife wanted to look at a used Tiffin class-A. I don't like class-A RVs much and this one wasn't ringing my doorbell at all. So I asked the sales guy to show us an Alliance Delta. It was a 252RL. I liked it; wife liked it. We both liked the sales guy. We told him we'd be in touch.

I went to look at a few Grand Designs that were very close to where I work. I knew the wife would like a rear bath so she joined me to look at one. They don't come with much solar, not a good solar controller, and just didn't impress me too much. Nobody at the dealership knew anything about solar or LiFePo4 batteries. They referred me to a sales guy who had the day off --- he was a bit more helpful but still didn't actually know anything.

But the wife liked the RB alot. I had visited the Buford (GA) location for Blue Compass and knew they had one in stock. I called Gabriel at the Ringold store and asked if we could do the deal with him so he'd get paid for the legwork and then we could pick up the unit in Buford since it's MUCH closer to home. He said that would work. Then the F&I guy from Ringold called me and talked me into having them transfer the unit from Buford to Ringold, that he could insure that they PDI'd the unit properly, that he had complete faith in his team and I'd enjoy the Blue compass experience better that way.
So I agreed.

sigh

They got the unit in Ringold, told me it was ready. We drove up there. Signed the paperwork. Bought their extended warranty and the super-duper graphene spray-on coating. sigh. Went out to the unit for the walk-through and my own PDI. I worked in electronics and also chemical analysis for years, test and measurement under the former HP umbrella of companies. I found two outlets with reverse polarity, two usb-c outlets with no power, a few places where tape was peeling. Then my wife tried to use the countertop extension and it was smashed. The cabinet it was attached to was smashed. The tilt-out trash door couldn't open. The dinette back directly across from it was separated and came off with the seat cushion. The look on the tech's face that was showing us the trailer showed some sincere distress --- I don't think he had any idea the trailer was damaged and was thrust into that position. It was obvious that whoever transported the unit closed the slide with the counter extension deployed in the up position.

So they began the warranty process. A couple of days later I got a text that the trailer was fixed and ready to pick up. Then a few hours later I got a call and they said it was ready (the electrical gremlins) but not the damaged parts, that they needed to order them and it could take a few weeks. They wanted me to come get the trailer and have the repairs done elsewhere; I told them to fix it.
I spoke with the service manager about this. I had previously given them a battery box to install and a LiTime 320 amp hour battery. I asked him to make sure it was hooked up properly and that the solar charge controller was programmed for lithium. He said that it was a common request and that it was no problem. When I dropped off the battery it was sitting at 86% charge. I drove up there on Sunday to check their progress, check the solar set-up and battery, and the battery was at 26% and the solar charger was programmed for a gel-cell battery. Bad. I don't believe it damaged the battery but I changed the program to lithium and waited around to make sure it was charging okay. It seemed to be. I left there with the battery at 30%. It should be noted that the controller was only reporting around 7 amps coming from the panel ---- about what you'd expect from a 200 watt panel that's not in good sunlight. This is supposed to be a 400 watt panel and it was very sunny out (although the sun was sorta on the wrong side of the trailer for full sun). I plan to drive up today and check everything again. The battery should be full unless they've left the fridge running or something.

So, as far as the Blue Compass or Alliance "experience" is going, I'm so full of regret right now I'm nauseous over it. I'm not impressed by the dealership at all. Everyone I speak with there says, "oh, this is the first I've heard about this..." and nothing seems to get done.

I contacted Alliance and Kayla got back to immediately. Then Kevin contacted me and said he'd try to expedite parts if he got the order numbers. I contacted my sales guy and he said "no problem". But then said that he's in the sales end and couldn't really work with service. ?? But eventually he said he got the message over to service. But I don't think they ever got the info to Kevin at Alliance.

I'd really like a new unit. I'll drive the heck anywhere to pick it up. Right from the factory would be nice....

I've got so many camping boondoggles booked already and I'm coming up on them fast. This is the beginning of camping season in Georgia, not the end.

sigh
 

Lantley

Prominent Member
Well then, I'll log the Alliance purchase experience here rather than start a new thread.


The story, my profound disappointment with the dealership, the Alliance trip, etc.

We went way up to this dealership, Blue Compass Chattanooga (actually located in Ringold, GA) in the first place because my wife wanted to look at a used Tiffin class-A. I don't like class-A RVs much and this one wasn't ringing my doorbell at all. So I asked the sales guy to show us an Alliance Delta. It was a 252RL. I liked it; wife liked it. We both liked the sales guy. We told him we'd be in touch.

I went to look at a few Grand Designs that were very close to where I work. I knew the wife would like a rear bath so she joined me to look at one. They don't come with much solar, not a good solar controller, and just didn't impress me too much. Nobody at the dealership knew anything about solar or LiFePo4 batteries. They referred me to a sales guy who had the day off --- he was a bit more helpful but still didn't actually know anything.

But the wife liked the RB alot. I had visited the Buford (GA) location for Blue Compass and knew they had one in stock. I called Gabriel at the Ringold store and asked if we could do the deal with him so he'd get paid for the legwork and then we could pick up the unit in Buford since it's MUCH closer to home. He said that would work. Then the F&I guy from Ringold called me and talked me into having them transfer the unit from Buford to Ringold, that he could insure that they PDI'd the unit properly, that he had complete faith in his team and I'd enjoy the Blue compass experience better that way.
So I agreed.

sigh

They got the unit in Ringold, told me it was ready. We drove up there. Signed the paperwork. Bought their extended warranty and the super-duper graphene spray-on coating. sigh. Went out to the unit for the walk-through and my own PDI. I worked in electronics and also chemical analysis for years, test and measurement under the former HP umbrella of companies. I found two outlets with reverse polarity, two usb-c outlets with no power, a few places where tape was peeling. Then my wife tried to use the countertop extension and it was smashed. The cabinet it was attached to was smashed. The tilt-out trash door couldn't open. The dinette back directly across from it was separated and came off with the seat cushion. The look on the tech's face that was showing us the trailer showed some sincere distress --- I don't think he had any idea the trailer was damaged and was thrust into that position. It was obvious that whoever transported the unit closed the slide with the counter extension deployed in the up position.

So they began the warranty process. A couple of days later I got a text that the trailer was fixed and ready to pick up. Then a few hours later I got a call and they said it was ready (the electrical gremlins) but not the damaged parts, that they needed to order them and it could take a few weeks. They wanted me to come get the trailer and have the repairs done elsewhere; I told them to fix it.
I spoke with the service manager about this. I had previously given them a battery box to install and a LiTime 320 amp hour battery. I asked him to make sure it was hooked up properly and that the solar charge controller was programmed for lithium. He said that it was a common request and that it was no problem. When I dropped off the battery it was sitting at 86% charge. I drove up there on Sunday to check their progress, check the solar set-up and battery, and the battery was at 26% and the solar charger was programmed for a gel-cell battery. Bad. I don't believe it damaged the battery but I changed the program to lithium and waited around to make sure it was charging okay. It seemed to be. I left there with the battery at 30%. It should be noted that the controller was only reporting around 7 amps coming from the panel ---- about what you'd expect from a 200 watt panel that's not in good sunlight. This is supposed to be a 400 watt panel and it was very sunny out (although the sun was sorta on the wrong side of the trailer for full sun). I plan to drive up today and check everything again. The battery should be full unless they've left the fridge running or something.

So, as far as the Blue Compass or Alliance "experience" is going, I'm so full of regret right now I'm nauseous over it. I'm not impressed by the dealership at all. Everyone I speak with there says, "oh, this is the first I've heard about this..." and nothing seems to get done.

I contacted Alliance and Kayla got back to immediately. Then Kevin contacted me and said he'd try to expedite parts if he got the order numbers. I contacted my sales guy and he said "no problem". But then said that he's in the sales end and couldn't really work with service. ?? But eventually he said he got the message over to service. But I don't think they ever got the info to Kevin at Alliance.

I'd really like a new unit. I'll drive the heck anywhere to pick it up. Right from the factory would be nice....

I've got so many camping boondoggles booked already and I'm coming up on them fast. This is the beginning of camping season in Georgia, not the end.

sigh
I appreciate your story and understand your frustration. However consider this a lesson learned. The RV industry as a whole It's not trustworthy and is very shady. Dealers are notoriously bad across all brands, all price points. The quicker you can do without them the better off you will be.. You seem like a capable person able to do things themselves That is the key. Do anything and everything that you can do yourself. Do not rely on dealerships for anything. Do not trust dealerships for anything, you cannot take them at face value.
This may seem somewhat harsh But it is the reality in the RV world. The sooner you understand this the better off you will be.
RVing can be a wonderful hobby and lifestyle but it is not the auto industry, Competent and honest dealer service is rare and hard to find.
Don't be totally discouraged, But understand how the game is played. DIY is the key to the whole experience. If you must use a dealership beware the entire time never let your guard down and Never assume anything will be taken care of promptly. If you are really in a bind To have something serviced that you are not familiar with try mobile RV repair services. They are more competent and more responsible versus dealerships.
Learn to rely on yourself all your RV needs or find a independent mobile service. That should be your biggest take away from the whole experience.
 

2 Allies

Prominent Member
Hilldweller,
Congratulations and Welcome!
The initial disappointment appears to be dealer related. You have made the right decision to notify Alliance and stay with them to keep the process moving(follow-up) The dealer is not going to press forward and Alliance will help you get it done. You will love it after this initial disappointment.
Good luck,
 

Hilldweller

Member
Kevin from alliance just emailed me and asked me for some more direct contact information at the dealership. Hopefully he’s able to motivate them better than I am. But I’ll be at the dealership in a couple of minutes to look over my solar set up again and I’m a big ugly guy
 

jagibson58

Well-known member
Your story sounds all too common. The RV industry is not what it was ten years ago. its unfortunate with what we are paying now a days to get terrible service.
 

Lantley

Prominent Member
I’m with you there.
Your story sounds all too common. The RV industry is not what it was ten years ago. its unfortunate with what we are paying now a days to get terrible service.
Your story sounds all too common. The RV industry is not what it was ten years ago. its unfortunate with what we are paying now a days to get terrible service.
I've been Rving since 2005. I don't think there was ever a time when service was great. However I guess I can agree that the prices have significantly increased and the service has only gotten worse not better.
 

Hilldweller

Member
Thank you for the input, Allies.

I got to the dealership on Wednesday and spoke with a young woman in Service. Jara. Absolutely fantastic -- she actually paid attention to what I was saying and understood me. They fetched the trailer for me from the back 40 and I blutoothed the battery and the solar controller.
Battery was down to 3%. :sick: I dropped the battery off with them with 86% charge on a 320 amp hour LiFePo4 battery. It was sitting outside for a week on cloudless days. I was promised it had 400 watts of solar. When I was there 3 days earlier I found that they hadn't configured the controller for lithium so I did. I left there on Sunday with the battery trending upward at 30% SOC. I didn't think to check if the fridge was running but I found that almost everything else in 12v was. So, on Wednesday, at 3% SOC, I checked the fridge and it was ice-freakin' cold.
sigh
So I turned off the fridge and monitored the SOC for a few minutes. But I was still alarmed by the low amperage coming from the PV. Never got above 8 amps. I have a 200w solar suitcase from my friend Yi Li at Renogy. It's a product that they didn't offer very long, sorta pricey, very efficient. That 200w suitcase routinely puts out 14 amps and I was only getting 8 amps in good sunshine.
1+1 often actually equals less than 2 and that's what was happening. Turns out that my sales guy was not accurate in his Alliance knowledge --- the trailer is only equipped with 200w of PV and not a very good panel at that.
sigh

I got Kevin at Alliance contact info for Nelson Perez (service manager) and they've been in touch. Kevin is going to try and expedite the parts shipment. Nelson says that once he gets the parts the unit will go right in the barn.

I bumped into Graham Grebner, the Sales Manager, and Gabriel confirmed in front of him that I was told the unit had 400w of PV. Graham said he'd speak with the GM at the dealership and see if they'd back up their sales guy and install another panel.
We'll see, right? It sure would go a long way in the healing process for me.

I'm jonesing for a camping trip. Trying to remain optimistic.

This is how we roll when all is working right.

January, 15 degrees, running on solar on my friend's acreage



January again but at a campground with power (and hot showers!)

 

Hilldweller

Member
It's back in the back-40 AFAIK.

In fact, I don't know if it's ever been hooked to shore power after the battery was installed. Interested to see how that goes. If the hidden converter sniffs the LiFePo4 battery and does the auto-detect successfully or if a circuit breaker pops. I've got a pro-series Victron charger that I can use as a supplemental converter if the WFCO every goes pop.

Long ago on my first roadtrip with our teardrop the WFCO converter couldn't handle two Optima D31 batteries and went tits-up in Texas. Scott Hubble, now CEO at Awaken RV, did the right thing and sent me a beefier Progressive Dynamics converter that did the job for the next 9+ years flawlessly.

These are neat if you haven't seen them yet. Too small for us; he plans to make a smaller one next and then a larger one. I tried talking him into doing the big one first and let me buy the prototype but he didn't think that would work as far as sales.

 
Top