• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Help with Suburban Demand Water Heater

Out for our first trip the water heater works normally when hot water is turned on in the bathroom. In the kitchen we get an error 1 code unless we run the bathroom hot water first, we can then turn the bathroom off and it continues to run. The fifth wheel is a ML22.

Paul Rummler

BryanValRox

Out for our first trip the water heater works normally when hot water is turned on in the bathroom. In the kitchen we get an error 1 code unless we run the bathroom hot water first, we can then turn the bathroom off and it continues to run. The fifth wheel is a ML22.

Paul Rummler
Hi folks, not sure which model you have, but I have found a reference to E1 in a Suburban Tankless Model (IW60) that indicated that this could be an ignition or Gas Supply issue.

In my opinion this seems a bit off base, given that you report normal operation with the bathroom and abnormal operation from the kitchen alone, unless the bathroom is used first.

It would be my opinion that you could have a low flow problem that is causing this issue to happen. Tankless normally need about .5 gallons per minute to operate.

Try measuring the flow output for 1 minute at the Kitchen sink only (one test full hot position and one test full cold position) and then the bathroom only the same way and see what your results are.

Regardless of flow numbers you may what to remove the nozzle at the kitchen sink and let the water free flow from the hose effectively flushing the system. Clean/Backflush the nozzle as well. You might do this to all pumping outlets, just to flush any debris that may be in the system from manufacturing.

If acceptable flow is present, then additional troubleshooting would need completed.

Mike in North Wales

Do you have full flow at the kitchen faucet? Try cleaning the aerator. You will probably find plastic debris in it from production. Ours was so clogged we barely had a trickle from the full-flow part of the faucet. The sprayer worked fine.

The heater does work with the sprayer. Removed the hose nothing in the restrictor haven't been able to get the aerator out afraid I will break it. Looks like I need a spanner of some kind.