• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Grey water tank overflow valve

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I don't think so. Once the grey tanks get full, they will start to back up into the drains (ie..in shower will stay full)

Fishfnatic

I don't think so. Once the grey tanks get full, they will start to back up into the drains (ie..in shower will stay full)
I had full tank and gray water came out of underbelly . This is what I was told. I have an email from alliance and this is the quote “For the tanks, if they are overfilled, they absolutely will leak as there is an overflow valve on the top of the tank for this purpose”. Just FYI

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I had full tank and gray water came out of underbelly . This is what I was told. I have an email from alliance and this is the quote “For the tanks, if they are overfilled, they absolutely will leak as there is an overflow valve on the top of the tank for this purpose”. Just FYI
1708039571413.png

BryanValRox

So, personally, I would press harder on this response. For sure the freshwater tank has an overflow pipe. That overflow pipe extends down out of the underbelly for a purpose. That purpose being, to prevent water from collecting within the underbelly. If they have included overflows for gray tanks, then why would they not take the same strategy and allow that gray water to vent below the underbelly? (Water on the ground either way)

Additionally, this forum just recently helped one of our valued members work through a gray tank that would not drain. And the observations were a Kitchen sink that won't drain and water backing up within the vent pipe when looking down inside it from the roof. There was no mention of water in the underbelly.

I would ask for additional proof and challenge them why they would vent fresh to the ground and vent gray to the underbelly. I would also be requesting that the vents be extended outside of the underbelly as a warranty claim if this is truly the case and some sort of running change was made to take this approach.
Why in the world would they risk overflow to the underbelly and allow saturation of things enclosed inside of there. (Ducts work, insulation, wiring etc.
Also, why would they vent gray tank odor to the underbelly? The overflow would have to be equipped with some sort of low psi check valve to prevent odor venting into the cavity.

Something just doesn't ring true hear!

Maybe @Jim Beletti could reach out directly to the factory for further comment.

Perhaps this would be another opportunity for @Bill Martin to do a ”Whatcha know Wednesday short” on this topic.

Just offering my "The World According to Bryan Theory" and applying basic logic here.

If my thinking is wrong and they do vent gray overflow to under the under belly, I humbly stand corrected.
I would also ask that they consider making the vent extend below as the next customer driven feature!

Best regards to all!

Fishfnatic

At least it wasn’t black tank😳This is not everything. I have been very reserved about this and very frustrated. I will not let tank get full again but it does not seem right . I have had other campers and never had this happen. Researching other forums I have seen other people have similar problems. But no specific answer. I was told by dealer that collar going into tank where pipe is flexible and that is where water came from when over full.

Fishfnatic

At least it wasn’t black tank😳This is not everything. I have been very reserved about this and very frustrated. I will not let tank get full again but it does not seem right . I have had other campers and never had this happen. Researching other forums I have seen other people have similar problems. But no specific answer. I was told by dealer that collar going into tank where pipe iis flexible and that is where water came from when over full.
So, personally, I would press harder on this response. For sure the freshwater tank has an overflow pipe. That overflow pipe extends down out of the underbelly for a purpose. That purpose being, to prevent water from collecting within the underbelly. If they have included overflows for gray tanks, then why would they not take the same strategy and allow that gray water to vent below the underbelly? (Water on the ground either way)

Additionally, this forum just recently helped one of our valued members work through a gray tank that would not drain. And the observations were a Kitchen sink that won't drain and water backing up within the vent pipe when looking down inside it from the roof. There was no mention of water in the underbelly.

I would ask for additional proof and challenge them why they would vent fresh to the ground and vent gray to the underbelly. I would also be requesting that the vents be extended outside of the underbelly as a warranty claim if this is truly the case and some sort of running change was made to take this approach.
Why in the world would they risk overflow to the underbelly and allow saturation of things enclosed inside of there. (Ducts work, insulation, wiring etc.
Also, why would they vent gray tank odor to the underbelly? The overflow would have to be equipped with some sort of low psi check valve to prevent odor venting into the cavity.

Something just doesn't ring true hear!

Maybe @Jim Beletti could reach out directly to the factory for further comment.

Perhaps this would be another opportunity for @Bill Martin to do a ”Whatcha know Wednesday short” on this topic.

Just offering my "The World According to Bryan Theory" and applying basic logic here.

If my thinking is wrong and they do vent gray overflow to under the under belly, I humbly stand corrected.
I would also ask that they consider making the vent extend below as the next customer driven feature!

Best regards to all!
i emailed the question about the grey tank venting into belly and not out like freshwater. Still haven’t heard back from them. Also if it leaks out when overfill, would it do the same with partial tank full when traveling because of sloshing?

BryanValRox

In my mind it certainly could slosh out while traveling with a partially full tank.
Your point is very likely a fundamental reason why they vent the fresh overflow below the under belly.
Hope you get to the bottom of this soon for the benefit of all of us.
Knowledge is power as they say!

CornCrib

I agree with @BryanValRox, doesn't make sense, and I think you got a false answer. Also, while I don't have the same 310 model, I have same layout and tank config (32RLS) and all my drains are solid (not flexible) into the tanks. Only thing I can think that would explain it is one of those connections are not sealed tight, allowing a leak when the tank is full and backs up past the top of the tank and toward the sinks or shower, but does not leak when water normally flows into the tank. Or ... a crack or hole at or near the top of the tank....

Perhaps you asked the correct question, but they misinterpreted, and inadvertently gave you the answer based on the fresh water tank.

Fishfnatic

If I am understanding correctly what you are asking, your black and grey tanks should never overflow, therefore traveling with them 1/3 full is not going to cause them to overflow. Should you ever truly fill them over capacity, there is a small overflow grommet on the top that some may ooze out of, but it can also then begin to back-up through the plumbing lines as well as the vent pipes. This is wuote from alliance. Trying to be civil. I will not let tank get full again but does not explain amount of water we drained out of belly. Dealer filled tanks but would not overfill as I asked them too to find leakage. I guess it is ok for me to overfill but not them🤬

Many places (National and State parks among them) do not allow discharge of gray or black water. I can't imagine any type of overflow valve or leaking. In previous RV's I have found vent stacks where couplings were not glued.