• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Generator Storage for Delta 251BH

New Delta 251BH owner here. While the trailer is in covered storage over the winter, I’d like to prepare the trailer for summer travel. I’d like any input and/or advice related to where to store my generator? I originally thought I’d keep is safe in the bed of the truck, but I’ve been looking at a rack for over the propane tanks or in hitch mount on the back. I‘m sure the generator will have an effect on the tongue weight and perhaps cause swaying? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

BryanValRox

New Delta 251BH owner here. While the trailer is in covered storage over the winter, I’d like to prepare the trailer for summer travel. I’d like any input and/or advice related to where to store my generator? I originally thought I’d keep is safe in the bed of the truck, but I’ve been looking at a rack for over the propane tanks or in hitch mount on the back. I‘m sure the generator will have an effect on the tongue weight and perhaps cause swaying? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Hello RamblinRowes, congratulations on your purchase.
Fully disclosure, we do not have a Delta, so I do not have any direct experience with this decision. We have a 310RL and learned a hard lesson in reference to pin/hitch/tongue weight when the factory shared our as built numbers with us.

You are correct that the genset will effect your tongue weight.

Personally, if the decision was mine to make,(on the surface) I would go with the rear mount option over the tongue mount option.
The main reason, being you will be adding “Camping Supplies” and stuff to your front pass thru storage compartment that will be adding to your tongue weight as well.

I would guess, (repeat guess) that very little additive tongue weight would be noticed with it mounted on the rear.
The weight would likely be absorbed into one or both of axle loads if mounted on the rear hitch.

It is entirely possible that this rear mount could result in a cantilever action and even reduce the tongue weight very, very slightly.

I would suggest you consider doing a weighing exercise to make an more informed decision.

Just my random thoughts for your consideration.
Best regards!

Hello RamblinRowes, congratulations on your purchase.
Fully disclosure, we do not have a Delta, so I do not have any direct experience with this decision. We have a 310RL and learned a hard lesson in reference to pin/hitch/tongue weight when the factory shared our as built numbers with us.

You are correct that the genset will effect your tongue weight.

Personally, if the decision was mine to make,(on the surface) I would go with the rear mount option over the tongue mount option.
The main reason, being you will be adding “Camping Supplies” and stuff to your front pass thru storage compartment that will be adding to your tongue weight as well.

I would guess, (repeat guess) that very little additive tongue weight would be noticed with it mounted on the rear.
The weight would likely be absorbed into one or both of axle loads if mounted on the rear hitch.

It is entirely possible that this rear mount could result in a cantilever action and even reduce the tongue weight very, very slightly.

I would suggest you consider doing a weighing exercise to make an more informed decision.

Just my random thoughts for your consideration.
Best regards!
My sincere thanks for the welcome and the response to my question. While planning our first trip a couple of weeks after we purchased the Delta, we signed up for a Harvest Host stay at a Maine Alpaca farm. I did some research on generators and settled on a dual fuel, intending to run on LP only. I’m still not sure if most owners take their generators off the mounts and move them away from the trailers, or simply run them right on the racks? Mounted on the rear bumper will offer some sound deadening for our trailer, but still be pretty close to windows and vents, a safety concern.

I’m going to “that guy” this first year of traveling, hoping to sponge as much wisdom off those experienced owners. I’ll be posting many more questions in the near future, and look forward to all the help you can offer.

Thanks again.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Hi @RamblinRowes - congrats on your Delta! Delta owner here too - a 262RB.

I too will be using a dual fuel generator on propane only. I decided to mount mine on the back, using the supplied 2" receiver hitch with a TorkLift Lock and Load generator platform.
IMG_2374.jpg

I went with the WEN DF452iX generator. I selected WEN for its balance between the features, reputation and value I sought. I wanted dual fuel, and remote start at a nice price from a known brand.

My plan is to plumb the generator into the RV's propane system. I upgraded my dual 20# tanks to dual 30# tanks to give me more onboard fuel storage. I purchased from Alliance, an LP quick-connect that I plan to install at the back of the RV. I plan to utilize an available LP port on the DS LP manifold under the frame. I will be purchasing a long LP hose to connect the quick-connect to the manifold. Prior to purchasing the LP hose, I will be testing the generator without its supplied regulator with the low-pressure side of the Delta's LP system. I'll likely test by plugging it into the DS LP quick-connect for the grill/griddle. My concern is whether I'll have enough pressure as I'm not sure the RV LP regulator set at 11" WC is going to be enough. If it's not, I'll split the 2 tanks and use one for the RV (range, furnace and water heater) and 1 for the generator.

Here's a link to a gallery of images of the generator project. Never mind the video clips there. TorkLift sponsored the Lock and Load platform and I will be documenting my installation and use of the product and supplying that experience, photos and a video with them for their use.

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member

I too will be using a dual fuel generator on propane only. I decided to mount mine on the back, using the supplied 2" receiver hitch with a TorkLift Lock and Load generator platform.

Jim...why all the hassle of adding a second power inlet plug? You could just use a connector (coming off gen) to convert to 50amp cord. I know you MUST have a reason...you don't just jump into a project. :cool:

1705341246394.png

View attachment 1634

I went with the WEN DF452iX generator. I selected WEN for its balance between the features, reputation and value I sought. I wanted dual fuel, and remote start at a nice price from a known brand.

My plan is to plumb the generator into the RV's propane system. I upgraded my dual 20# tanks to dual 30# tanks to give me more onboard fuel storage. I purchased from Alliance, an LP quick-connect that I plan to install at the back of the RV. I plan to utilize an available LP port on the DS LP manifold under the frame. I will be purchasing a long LP hose to connect the quick-connect to the manifold. Prior to purchasing the LP hose, I will be testing the generator without its supplied regulator with the low-pressure side of the Delta's LP system. I'll likely test by plugging it into the DS LP quick-connect for the grill/griddle. My concern is whether I'll have enough pressure as I'm not sure the RV LP regulator set at 11" WC is going to be enough. If it's not, I'll split the 2 tanks and use one for the RV (range, furnace and water heater) and 1 for the generator.

Here's a link to a gallery of images of the generator project. Never mind the video clips there. TorkLift sponsored the Lock and Load platform and I will be documenting my installation and use of the product and supplying that experience, photos and a video with them for their use.
Jim, I'm really pleased to have received your reply to my question. Someday I'll write a general message to the Alliance Owners Forum about the great customer service I received prior to making the final decision to purchase our Delta trailer. Your effort to document your upgrade and to share the details adds to the value provided by Alliance to owners.

A question for you regarding the LP quick-connect. Is this available to owners via the parts department? I do like your idea to bypass the pressure regulator on the generator, however, when considering the potential use of the generator here in Maine for our all too frequent power outages, I'll keep my generator stock for other uses.

Keep up the great work.