• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Furrion 12v Fridge in a Delta - sounds like a generator?!?

daemonic3

Hello all,

We took delivery Friday of our new Delta 294RK and after 6 years of 2-way gas/electric fridges this is our first 12V fridge.

We were excited for the change and safety of CWD (chilling while driving). However we are SHOCKED at how LOUD our fridge is when it kicks on!

Is it normal for a very bassy hum to be felt throughout the rig? The first night we thought a neighbor kept running a generator. But when it continued into the night we realized it's our fridge! The hum feels like a subwoofer when sitting in the abutted theater seat. My wife in particular has always been sensitive (misophonia) to particular sounds such as fan noises and this is especially bothering her.

I started investigating for any service panels to look for fans or anywhere that may lack noise dampening, or something vibrating against the chassis. I cannot find any vents externally like a classic fridge! There must be hollow space in our slide behind the fridge and I'm wondering if our particular model acts like a sealed subwoofer due to bad luck with the layout?

Since we're completely new to 12V DC fridges I'm looking for if this is normal and if there are standard mitigations. My wife has already been looking at videos and tips but most seem to be fan noise not low vibrations (and we can't find any vents except the internal vent below the fridge).

Any help appreciated!

-T

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Hi @daemonic3 - I have the Furrion 12v refer in my Delta 262RB and like you, have found it to operate very loudly. I had removed my refer to run some wiring behind it, then reinstalled it and at first, I was wondering if I slid it back wrong and contributed to the noise it makes. Now I'm thinking not.

I can't speak for your 294 but in my 262, there's 2 or 3 inches of space behind the refer to the outside wall. There's maybe an inch gap on the 2 sides. Any attempt at insulation would need to be done very carefully so as not to impede the ability for the refer to fit back in.

You could try to add some sections of Constrained Layer Damper (CLD) material (ResoNix, Kilmat, Dynamat, Noico etc.) used in the automotive world - as a test. Note: My advice on this is personal (me to you) and is not from Alliance RV or from Lippert. I do suggest you reach out to Lippert on what you are experiencing.

Last edited: