• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Factory Warranty Trip Didn’t Fix a Large Issue

Turfengineer

I wanted to provide an update on our Avenue that we picked up from service on 1/19. We finally had a chance and the weather to open the slides and look through all of the issues that the factory had repaired. The electric issue with the bathroom GFCI outlet appears to not have been fixed. When I first walked into the bathroom the outlet had already been tripped. After pushing the reset, it appeared to be fine for about 2 minutes, then it tripped again. I repeated this another time our two with the same results. Nothing was plugged into any of the outlets. The GFCI outlet controls the kitchen, coffee bar, exterior and basement outlets.

I was able take a short video of this issue while I was connected to my inverter generator, but the issue remained when plugged into a house outlet.

What are my options to get this resolved?

BryanValRox

I wanted to provide an update on our Avenue that we picked up from service on 1/19. We finally had a chance and the weather to open the slides and look through all of the issues that the factory had repaired. The electric issue with the bathroom GFCI outlet appears to not have been fixed. When I first walked into the bathroom the outlet had already been tripped. After pushing the reset, it appeared to be fine for about 2 minutes, then it tripped again. I repeated this another time our two with the same results. Nothing was plugged into any of the outlets. The GFCI outlet controls the kitchen, coffee bar, exterior and basement outlets.

I was able take a short video of this issue while I was connected to my inverter generator, but the issue remained when plugged into a house outlet.

Hey Turfengineer,
Personally, I am very sorry your experiencing this issue after a factory service visit.
I can only offer a suggestion, have you considered purchasing or do you have a GFI outlet tester?
If you are tripping GFI’s you certainly have an underlying issue somewhere.
I would invest in an GFI tester(not really expensive) at Lowes or a well stocked hardware store.
Armed with this, you could plug it into each outlet and see what the tester reports back. It might help you narrow down where and what your issue is. (Short, open, etc)
Personally, while I never tripped GFI’s, I located an open neutral on our 310RL’s bed side outlets when it arrived at our home. I was able to locate a mis crimped Molex connection under the bed head framework. My tester was key to locating this and I was easily able to track it down with some basic multimeter testing.
In reality, this could be a bad GFI outlet or a more complex problem with your wiring.
If it is limited to a single circuit, that certainly helps you narrow it down.
Hope this helps some!

Turfengineer

Thanks for the feedback. I have replaced the outlet in question prior to sending it the factory. I was able to narrow down the leg that appears to be causing the issue. The leg that starts at the GFCI in the bath and powers the two kitchen and outdoor outlets. When I remove it from the circuit the issue goes away.

BryanValRox

Thanks for the feedback. I have replaced the outlet in question prior to sending it the factory. I was able to narrow down the leg that appears to be causing the issue. The leg that starts at the GFCI in the bath and powers the two kitchen and outdoor outlets. When I remove it from the circuit the issue goes away.
No worries, glad to try and help!
You mentioned that the outdoor outlets are involved in your problem circuit. Have you inspected those for any signs of corrosion or moisture?

Fishfnatic

No worries, glad to try and help!
You mentioned that the outdoor outlets are involved in your problem circuit. Have you inspected those for any signs of corrosion or moisture?
Turf engineer I just purchased a 310 rl and when I was doing pre inspection my bathroom outlet was tripped too and would not reset. We had dealer put in new gif I and seems to be working now as my wife used hair dryer. I will keep an eye on mine.

Mazboy

get it back to service or have a warranty claim done and have someone else deal with it. good luck

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
@Turfengineer - sorry to hear that you continue to have issues with your GFCI circuit. While not a fix, I suggest you reach back to our Factory Customer Service team. Perhaps they can look at the record for your service appointment and confirm what action they took on the GFCI issue. Just a guess but they may have changed the GFCI outlet, tested it as functioning and moved on. As you mentioned - the GFCI trips after about 2 minutes.

As it seems you know where the problem is not, you're getting close to a self-diagnosis. If you're comfortable doing this, you might consider removing the wall that separates the pass-through bay from the utility area to expose the space where the outdoor outlets are (DS wall and ODS Nautilus) and look to see how those outlets are connected and where the feed comes from. Once could, if they're comfortable with it, turn the breaker off for that branch circuit and isolate those outlets one at a time.

That said, the outlets are RV/manufactured home style. Meaning the use IDC type connections inside and the back of the outlet is compressed into it's locked position. I've never been able to reuse one, so just be aware, you could break one and be on your own for replacement.
Here's a tool similar to what may be used in the RV industry to terminate the outlets.

Turfengineer

Thanks for the feedback Jim. The Alliance team has already engaged another team to help diagnose and get the issue resolved.

I am totally comfortable doing much of this work myself, but since it’s under warranty and basically brand new, I feel Alliance should make this right… and that appears to be the case.

I had already replaced the GFCI outlet when the issue was first found.