• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

eBike rack - Rear bumper Class 2 receiver upgrade to Class 3?

I’d like to haul a couple eBikes and have a nice Hollywood RV rider rack built for back of RVs. The rack is spec’d for a class 3 receiver, and our 310RL (like others models I believe) has a factory class 2 receiver installed.

Has anyone upgraded their’s?

Even better question, is there an aftermarket that will bolt up, or would we have to make some frame medications to accommodate a class 3 receiver?

extra details - class 2 receiver on RV has tongue weight of #300 - rack wants minimum of #350….

Whitewolf

It is possible to get an adapter to go from a 2 to a 3. Amazon has several styles. It will move your bike rack back a few inches tho. And I doubt it'll fix the weight problem. :unsure:

Upvote 0
It is possible to get an adapter to go from a 2 to a 3. Amazon has several styles. It will move your bike rack back a few inches tho. And I doubt it'll fix the weight problem. :unsure:
Interestingly - generally ‘class 2’ receivers will have a receiver size of 1 1/4 inches and a class 3, a 2 inch reciever (one way to tell class 2 vs class 3….) the receiver on the RV is already a 2”…. So the bike rack actually already ‘fits’ - I’m OK hauling one eBike, but not going to test two bikes even though the total “static” load is well under 300 pounds (rack ~60 pounds, bikes ~60 pounds) - but you can imagine 180 pounds bouncing around … the dynamic load is another story…. (Another reason you really need a rack built for the back end of an RV regardless of what your hauling!)

Upvote 0

John R

My Paradigm 385FL HAS A 2 “ receiver hitch. I just installed the the rv holiday rack. Hopefully it works. We have a 4000 mile trip scheduled in 2 weeks. I will let ya know the results. 🤞🏻

Upvote 0
Do you know if your receiver is rated class 3? There is a sticker with specs with weight limits to the right of the receiver…. I can almost read it in the pic…

Last edited:
Upvote 0
it has a 2" receiver and is rated at 300/3000
Thank you!!! Seems very consistent class 2 receivers are the standard…. My instinct is to get a true class 3 will require some frame work…. I’ll post an update if i find anything. Fwiw, we are planning our annual fall odyssey to Yellowstone and I’m really getting excited!

Upvote 0
Just made the Yellowstone trip - couple other allies in the park…. Hitch worked great for one RadBike and a ‘standard’ mountain bike. I did fully install it (extra u bolt / hitch tightener) - worked great and very stable - I’ll keep an eye out for fatigue cracks …. But that will be hard to see until failure…. Picture with our Yellowstone (my favorite place by far) camp host below…IMG_8934.jpeg

Upvote 0

Bozo

Just made the Yellowstone trip - couple other allies in the park…. Hitch worked great for one RadBike and a ‘standard’ mountain bike. I did fully install it (extra u bolt / hitch tightener) - worked great and very stable - I’ll keep an eye out for fatigue cracks …. But that will be hard to see until failure…. Picture with our Yellowstone (my favorite place by far) camp host below…View attachment 1396
What campground is this and was it hard to get a spot? Reserve or 1st come first serve? Any issues getting big rigs in there?

Upvote 0

Bozo

It is more muscle involved, but I made a mount for the pin box on my old 5er. Hauled two e bikes up there with absolutely no problems and less worry.IMG_5199.jpeg

Upvote 0

Bozo

My rack tilted down so I could unload on some sites from ground, some sites required me to stand on tailgate.

Upvote 0
What campground is this and was it hard to get a spot? Reserve or 1st come first serve? Any issues getting big rigs in there?
At the risk of it getting busier….Fishing Bridge has a new RV area built for big rigs… it’s fantastic - most are pull through, and the back ins are quite spacious. It’s pretty busy all year, they do reservations (system isn’t the best), but we have also had good luck with last minute bookings/changes. We go twice a year - one always at ‘end of season’ in October because crowds are less and the animals are in rare form (the ‘rut’) The park is HUGE - staying in the park is a big advantage for drive time - (West Yellowstone has a great RV park, Grizzly RV, but the West entrance is the busiest and it takes almost an hour to get to Madison and the grand loop…..) We also like staying in Cooke City, outside NE entrance and Lamar Valley but NOT an RV location…. Picture below was from the Grant Village dining room deck… dinner theater….IMG_8884.jpeg

Upvote 0
hitch information

FYI - good idea to check manufacture’s sticker on your hitch - the receiver size alone does not determine the load rating (its more dependent on how and where the hitch is mounted. The default hitch on my 310RL has a 3” receiver but a tounge weight of 300#.f

Upvote 0
FYI - good idea to check manufacture’s sticker on your hitch - the receiver size alone does not determine the load rating (its more dependent on how and where the hitch is mounted. The default hitch on my 310RL has a 3” receiver but a tounge weight of 300#.f
Here is my sticker at back of rig -

Attachments

• IMG_9015.jpeg
    IMG_9015.jpeg
    320.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9017.jpeg
    IMG_9017.jpeg
    537.9 KB · Views: 11
Upvote 0