• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Driving with refrig on

castore357

Is it OK to drive with refrigerator running? I've heard from some that it's not due to the oil in the compressor. Is this true?

Focker

I have driven in RVs with the fridge on for over 20 years without any failure including my Valor for the last 2.5 years.

Grassjohn

I can only speak for RV refrigerators (propane / 110v electric): they will operate while towing and they don’t have a compressor. The risk I would mention is, you have to tow with the propane turned on (unless you provide 110v power). I towed with the RV fridge running on propane every trip, with the exception being a few tunnels that require the propane be shut off at the tank.

This topic can be debated at every campground, typically around a campfire with adult beverages.

castore357

I can only speak for RV refrigerators (propane / 110v electric): they will operate while towing and they don’t have a compressor. The risk I would mention is, you have to tow with the propane turned on (unless you provide 110v power). I towed with the RV fridge running on propane every trip, with the exception being a few tunnels that require the propane be shut off at the tank.

This topic can be debated at every campground, typically around a campfire with adult beverages.
Lol. Ty

CornCrib

We drive with our 12v compressor fridge on. No issues .. never heard you weren't supposed to.

Mike in North Wales

News to me. Kinda makes it useless to have a fridge if you can't use it while you travel. We've traveled with our 12VDC compressor fridge on for the last year with no issues.