• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Dodge is considered > reliable than / Ford / GMC / Chevy for a dually platform ?

johnda98

Reliability takes a second seat to whether a given truck can safely pull the load as well as payload. For example, the 382RK is over 19,000 lbs fully loaded and I'd want to have at least a few thousand above that for a safety margin. I don't want a dually so it seems to limit me to a F350 SRW, although I need to research the other manufacturers further, the marketing info for all of them can be contradictory. The problem with the F350 though is all of the dealers in my area don't have any 2023 allotments left and that was back in early Dec 2022 or so.

thanks.. well yes.. reliability and the attribution of within capacity limits are separate 'aspects'.
For a larger hauler 42-13, our intent, .. yes its what DRW .. sounds like the Ford 350 DRW or the 450 (thirstier) are both more pricey than a Dodge RAM 3500 DRW 5.9 or 6.7 to work on.. as the diesel v8.. injectors etc are more buried on the V8 than the 6 of the dodge

I'll try to get my old 5.9 2007 6-speed XLT dodge ram 3500 DRW 4x4 flatbed back from the chap I sold it too a year ago.. before we decided to go 5th wheel.

darrell

I'll try to get my old 5.9 2007 6-speed XLT dodge ram 3500 DRW 4x4 flatbed back from the chap I sold it too a year ago.. before we decided to go 5th wheel.
Just make sure that older truck has the payload for it. Some of the older trucks are a ways behind current models with regard to payload and towing capacity. The different between a 5.9 cummins and the 6.7 cummins was significant when I made that switch in 2014.

johnda98

I would never buy a older truck because the newer 2020 and above have higher gvw and more horsepower and have trany and exhaust brakes and hill assist.
valid point .. will add to my thoughts as this will be a serious OTR move

johnda98

I would never buy a older truck because the newer 2020 and above have higher gvw and more horsepower and have trany and exhaust brakes and hill assist.
true.. what year Dodge ram 3500 DRW diesel would be best for a valor 42-13 ? any votes ?
hate to have to buy new or lease.. want to pay cash for best bang for the $.. margins and capability for that 42-13 .. prob with +4K lbs MAX .. toys and stuff in it.

johnda98

looks like a 6.7 HO diesel drw 3.73 or 4.10 rear ratio - is the safe threshold minimum for a loaded 42-13 .. so 20Klbs gvwr max towing. the payload weight of 3KLb is fine

darrell

looks like a 6.7 HO diesel drw 3.73 or 4.10 rear ratio - is the safe threshold minimum for a loaded 42-13 .. so 20Klbs gvwr max towing. the payload weight of 3KLb is fine
I think the 3.73 gears are fine. I pull heavier than the 42-13 and have no issues with mine.

johnda98

I think the 3.73 gears are fine. I pull heavier than the 42-13 and have no issues with mine.
thanks Darrell.. I'm begining to think that my old 07 dodge 3500 5.9 DRW LB mega cab.. as its a 6speed box and has airbags in rear... for calculated routes and light loading.. 2 motorbikes and freshwater only + a knife and fork etc.. it might be just fine towing a 42-13 .. hitch weight 3.5klbs fine and just above dry weight 16.5klbs.. under 20Klbs gvwr.. tow. will be at limit of that pull.. mercedes box .. so can manage any grades en-route.. maybe 1K or so over the OEM spec pull weight.
rotors as option on the camper - brakes.. might be a plus.

dhcolesj

I've had Fords and now have a RAM 3500 HO 6.7 Cummins, and I think you'll find that they'll both have issues, but there seems to be a leaning toward the RAM because of the Cummins Engine. The Tranny is hard shifting in the RAM, and softer in Ford/Chevys (due to the 8 or 10 speed).
I used to be a a brand bigot, but with things being the way they are now, I have a RAM because Ford decided it would be a year before I could expect a delivery, and I needed something sooner. However, I'm quite happy with what I bought so far.

Mjgodz+3

I see a ton of Rams pulling trailers on the freeway. We just went from Class A to Fiver and needed a Tow Vehicle. A Chevy dealer tried to find us a 3500 on a dealer trade up to 750 miles away and couldn’t make it happen. We needed a Tow Vehicle and I found a Ram 3500 SRW in our state and bought it. It meets the weight requirement, for tow capacity AND payload.

Bellem99

I have a 2015 RAM 3500 DRW with 4.10s and 215k miles on it. I bought my RV (42v13) and truck as a package deal. I wanted a GMC at first, but had to beat the convience of the package deal. That being said I was a little skeptical of the RAM side of the truck, but for towing you cannot beat the Cummins engine. As others have mentioned look at what transporters use, their livelyhood depends on thier truck. Also if you look at comercial trucks they all have inline 6 cylinder engines, it is a superior design.

johnda98

excellent inputs..

looks like a 40Kish used 150K+ miles on a semi-commercial no-leather.. used dodge drw 4500 or 5500 with a flatbed or just rails - not pretty.. will be my choice.. lower mpg but thats ok, its the higher RAWR and HO/Asin for the $.... even with airbags on my old 5.9 2007 and 6 speed... AND new front brake system... wont cut the English not-yellow-sauce mustard with a loaded up 41-15 garage n tanks etc.. pref bigger garage over the side patio on the 42-13.. no dog no kids.. no use for side patio really.. pref the 15ft garage .. OHVs and road bike.