• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Diesel engine oil shortage?

Todd80

Just wondering if any other DIY vehicle maintenance guys are having a hard time finding synthetic diesel motor oil. I've always used Rotella T6 5W40 and I can't find that stuff anywhere, not even on Amazon. Other brands seem to be in short supply too. I picked up some Motorcraft synthetic 5W40 at my local Ford dealership and the parts manager told me that dealerships are having a difficult time getting Motorcraft diesel oils in.

Whitewolf

I ordered Amsoil a few weeks ago. The only disclaimer on their site was it may take longer to get here due to shipping problems. I got what I needed in a few days.

bhidalgo

Good to know about the Synthetic. I have the Ford prepaid maintenance plan with Synthetic on my '22 F-350. Sounds like I'll need to check with them ahead of time to make sure they have stock available before bringing it in for 7500 mile maintenance. Already at 3300 miles after only 2 months...Love this truck!

Whitewolf

I took my truck to the dealer at 15,000 to get the oil and filters changed. The only reason I did was because I didn't want to lay in the snow to do it. I took my own oil (they don't care). The only problem was the truck takes 2 fuel filters and they were having a problem getting them. Normally I would order from Geno's (Ram truck), but they were also out. I ended up ordering from Amazon a couple of filters that were getting good reviews. Dealer used them and said no problems.

Tgrfan2

Just wondering if any other DIY vehicle maintenance guys are having a hard time finding synthetic diesel motor oil. I've always used Rotella T6 5W40 and I can't find that stuff anywhere, not even on Amazon. Other brands seem to be in short supply too. I picked up some Motorcraft synthetic 5W40 at my local Ford dealership and the parts manager told me that dealerships are having a difficult time getting Motorcraft diesel oils in.
I always used Premium Blue in my '98 but have gone to T6 15W 40 for the 2018 to get synthetic. I needed a gallon for my next OC. My niece works for an oil supplier, and they were out this time. Last December they had six 3 gal cases at another location she said were "accidentally" ordered. I should have gotten an extra case.
I ordered it online for home delivery from Advance along with the Mopar filter. I got an email back shortly after that they were out of the filters. I hope the oil is on the way. The local Autozone did have the filter luckily.
I am wondering if they are switching to 2.5 gal jugs. If I can get this gallon, a 2.5 gal jug will work for me next time.