• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Delta 294rk changes already!

daemonic3

I'll be taking delivery of our 294RK in 3 days and I stopped by the dealer to take a hitch coupler height measurement (so I can build my shank to the right height).

Well, they already had a new 294RK on the lot, and I noticed a change in the TV slide out! The external TV doors are now a single flip UP door with magnet holders! This door is far better, as we noticed that the swing out doors and weak latches are a water intrusion risk. I want the new door!

Then inside the external TV center, instead of a recessed cabinet with a flip up counter (and storage) like every video has shown, now it is top to bottom open cubbies! I definitely prefer the flip up counter, but I want the solid door :(

I did a very quick internal scan for anything noticeable and the only thing I found is there is now an outlet between the bar seating and sink. I felt this would have been a good place for one and was surprised it didn't exist in the one we bought. Makes sense to add it.

Attachments

• 20240109_141829.jpg
    20240109_141829.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240109_141907.jpg
    20240109_141907.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240109_142145.jpg
    20240109_142145.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 18
We just ordered a 294RK ourselves. I am trying to determine what kind of drop I will need for my hitch. I was told the tongue was 16” when camper was level but it wasn’t stated if that was to the bottom of the coupler. Trying to get that info.

We are hours away from the dealership so the salesman is going to call the rep tomorrow but 25” would be better. 16” like he first told me would mean close to a 10” drop if I understand their formula for determining the drop amount.

daemonic3

Exactly! I had to know whether to order a 6" or 8" drop shank, so that I have enough variability to reach the height in the rise position, and also so my tailgate won't hit the shank! A 10" rise would ruin my tailgate if it ever came down on it. 16" feels awfully low for any travel trailer...

I just checked the other thread you mentioned. If your measurement of 25” is to the top of the coupler, what would you say is the measurement to the bottom of the coupler? 20” or 21”? The Weigh Safe formula works off the distance of ground to bottom of the coupler.

daemonic3

Hmm. Do you have the middleweight or heavyweight? The middleweight never asks for bottom of anything, it only asks horizontal distances relative to spring arms. The only heights I remember were: 1) Set up your shank so the ball is ~1/8" higher than top of coupler for every 100# of hitch weight, and 2) the spring arm platforms should be ~9" below top of coupler.

For 1) I prebuilt my shank before arrival to about 26.0" of height (the holes give about 1.25" of adjust each so this was closest).
For 2) You do that at time of assembly onto the frame. It looks like mine ended up with 1 empty hole down from the top.

Attachments

• 20240209_131416.jpg
    20240209_131416.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 6
I don’t have the hitch yet but will most likely go with the middleweight although I do have concerns about being able to drop the tailgate with the newer version. The instructions from Weigh Safe for determining which drop amount I would choose references the bottom of the coupler.

1707845340877.png

daemonic3

Where did you get that screenshot?? I have searched both installation PDF files, checked the instructions in the app, and checked both install videos on the web. I can only find references to the top of the coupler in all instructions. I'm very curious where that image came from!

I just got a call from a dealership. The woman who checked for me said the clearance was 20-21”. She said the reason for the variance was the campers on the lot may not be level.

daemonic3

Absolutely! That's why I decided to stop trying to ask them and just swung by when I had the chance. I needed to check the levelness with my own eyes and tape measure. I had to compensate by roughly 1/2" due to the frame being about 1" higher in the front than the rear.

Anyway, NOW I see where you got that instruction! That is the guide for picking what to *order* not how to install. I never did that step, I looked at how my previous Reese shank was setup in the rise position and estimated I need the 8" in rise.

I don't know what truck you have but I have a 2021 4x4 F150. So I needed to put mine in the rise position, and there are 4 visible holes above. In this pic you can see a handlebar I put through the top hole, but there are 4 empty holes.

Attachments

• 20240209_131100.jpg
    20240209_131100.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 4
Wish I could run down and measure for myself here. Closest 294RK is three hours away and not the dealership we are buying from. Just purchased 2024 Ram 2500 4x4. Top inside of the truck receiver is 26.25” so need to go with a drop. Only question is 6” drop hitch or 8”.

daemonic3

Oh! That RAM receiver is nice and high! Honestly you should have tons of ground clearance with the receiver so high, and I would get the 8" for the drop position. Look at this image. Your 26.25" is already perfect height you want the ball, and to keep the ball same height as receiver look how it lines up here:1707867137565.png

There are still extra holes at the bottom so you can probably get the 6" but why risk it? Just get the 8" and call it a day! You can trust me that your ball should be about ~26" when unloaded.

That was my train of thought also. To go with the 8”. They say all of them are actually 3” longer than the advertised drop. That would be 11” to the bottom of the hitch which still gives me 15” of clearance.