• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Crack appeared over front door.

Todd F

Hello,

I was recently washing our RV and found a small crack 2" or so that has appeared over our front door. The crack is only on the outside and does not follow through to the inside as of yet. We have a 2023 Valor 43v13. My wife has said she has seen a similar problem posted on the Facebook Alliance Group.

Has any one had a similar issue? I have placed a clear piece of Gorilla Tape over the crack to prevent water from entering for now and have contacted Alliance.

Attachments

• PXL_20240320_221658161.jpg
    PXL_20240320_221658161.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 43
  • PXL_20240320_221756233.jpg
    PXL_20240320_221756233.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 39
  • PXL_20240320_221805728.jpg
    PXL_20240320_221805728.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 34
  • PXL_20240320_222254067.jpg
    PXL_20240320_222254067.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 39

darrell

Any chance that the trailer was moved (like leveled for instance) with the stairs down and the door closed?

darrell

Sorry to reply again, but also, look closely at the first picture. One, are those cracks or scratches on the trim? Two, it looks like there is an abrasion on the paint of the edge near the crack. Did something hit there?

Bozo

Hello,

I was recently washing our RV and found a small crack 2" or so that has appeared over our front door. The crack is only on the outside and does not follow through to the inside as of yet. We have a 2023 Valor 43v13. My wife has said she has seen a similar problem posted on the Facebook Alliance Group.

Has any one had a similar issue? I have placed a clear piece of Gorilla Tape over the crack to prevent water from entering for now and have contacted Alliance.
Usually not a good sign, please keep us valor owners posted.

Todd F

Sorry to reply again, but also, look closely at the first picture. One, are those cracks or scratches on the trim? Two, it looks like there is an abrasion on the paint of the edge near the crack. Did something hit there?
I didn't notice the mark on the trim. I'll have to get out the ladder and inspect to see if that is a scratch or crack?

BryanValRox

I didn't notice the mark on the trim. I'll have to get out the ladder and inspect to see if that is a scratch or crack?
Looks like that top radius trim piece needs a close inspection. To me it doesn’t look to be seated properly indicating it may have moved for some reason. Also, about what appears to be an inch down from the end of the RH side of the same trim piece, there is a “ witness” mark from something. Take a good look around that entire door frame , keep an eye out for loose, missing or sheared screws, inconsistent gaps, dents, scratches etc. These clues may help you understand what is happening or has happened. From my lense, root cause is unknown.

Todd F

Looks like that top radius trim piece needs a close inspection. To me it doesn’t look to be seated properly indicating it may have moved for some reason. Also, about what appears to be an inch down from the end of the RH side of the same trim piece, there is a “ witness” mark from something. Take a good look around that entire door frame , keep an eye out for loose, missing or sheared screws, inconsistent gaps, dents, scratches etc. These clues may help you understand what is happening or has happened. From my lense, root cause is unknown.
Bryan, After looking at this more closely i have found the the upper trim piece appears to have not been installed correctly compared to the one on the rear door. The outside edges on that piece are not seated properly on both the right and left sides of the door. There is what looks like a very light scratch on the paint on the upper trim piece. The witness mark referred to is a blemish in the plastic.

I repeatedly opened and closed the door back and forth about 5"-6" while holding my hand on top of the crack and could feel and hear what sounded like creaking in that area. The friction hinge has always seemed pretty tight. I guess it is possible that there is a little flex in that area from opening and closing the door? We do full time so it does get a lot of use. I sprayed some silicone lubricant on the friction hinge to alleviate some of the tightness of the hinge and will do so until we can get it in for repair.

Attachments

• Blemish on Plastic.jpg
    Blemish on Plastic.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Front Door Improper Installation of Upper Trim Piece.jpg
    Front Door Improper Installation of Upper Trim Piece.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Missing Silicone.jpg
    Missing Silicone.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Rear Door Upper Trim Piece Installed Correctly.jpg
    Rear Door Upper Trim Piece Installed Correctly.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Scratch Paint.jpg
    Scratch Paint.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 17

darrell

Based on your pictures, that is all I really have to go on. From my perspective, in the Scratch Paint.jpg picture it looks like something hit (and caused a rub mark in the paint) right on frame/trim nearly perfectly in line with the crack. From that photo, it is hard to tell, but it also looks like that might not be a true radius any longer. It could just be the perspective of the photo. In any case, I will stop guessing at it now. You have a handle on it.

Bozo

Not for sure what caused the crack, all causes are not good, but I would 86 those friction hinges on both doors to start…..hopefully they figure out the cause Of the crack. Mine goes into dealer tomorrow….well we shall see what comes of the extra issues I have found, most are minor but it is under warranty.