• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Converter/inverter

Does the 2022 385FL have an inverter installed? I can't seem to find information on that. You'd think that a unit of this age would have one in it.

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Do you have a residential Frig or propane? If you have residential, then you'll have a factory inverter. If you have propane (and 120v) then most likely you will not have a factory inverter.

It's propane/120V. I wish I understood electronic! Our diesel pusher has both, (I don't know why;) but the 385FL only has a converter...to CONVERT something to something, I suppose! Oh well, thank you for the info.

So here's another question/dilemma/problem/just kill me now issue:
The 2022 Alliance Paradigm 385FL we bought (used) has a macerator toilet which the Camping World People had/have no clue about. I questioned it during our PDI and they said it wasn't one, but the toilet doesn't sit over a hole like a regular RV toilet. The hole is behind the toilet and you can see into the basement, which I also questioned and they said it must have come that way from the factory...I've done SO MUCH RESEARCH on this thing I just couldn't accept that explanation, so I came home and did MORE research and found that it IS a macerator toilet! I called them back and let them know and they said they'd look into it. Can you tell me what company manufactured that year's toilet? (Dometic, etc) I'd like to see what the thing actually looks like so am a bit more 'armed' when I talk with the Camping World people again. I'm also wondering, looking at the waste line that goes from that toilet to the front black tank, if there's an ingenious way to put a residential toilet in that master bath and plumb it straight to our septic system since we are permanently parking the thing on our property. Any thoughts? We've replaced toilets in our house AND our RV's over the years, but I'm wondering if anyone who is PERMANENTLY situated has ever done that. All comments, thoughts, criticism welcomed.

BryanValRox

Hi folks, just to offer some help on the electronics side of things.

Your converter does in fact convert something to something. At a very high level, it takes your 120volt AC input from your shore power and or generator and filters and converts it to 12 volt DC to run 12 volt circuits and charge your coach battery.

I have attached a document on a common unit used in the RV industry for your reading pleasure.

Hope it helps take some of the mystery out of things.

Attachments

• Installation-Operation-Guide-Progressive-Dynamics-PD4500-Series-Power-Control-Center.pdf
    384.6 KB · Views: 17
Hi folks, just to offer some help on the electronics side of things.

Your converter does in fact convert something to something. At a very high level, it takes your 120volt AC input from your shore power and or generator and filters and converts it to 12 volt DC to run 12 volt circuits and charge your coach battery.

I have attached a document on a common unit used in the RV industry for your reading pleasure.

Hope it helps take some of the mystery out of things.
Okee Dokeee, I understand, sort of, your explanation and it helps., thank you. But the document for my reading pleasure looks like this:
Alkdnn okndllmnt nvkdie ntliosndlnlp. I tli sksnein fke klkclkkp.... I see the letters and even words, but it's all way beyond my mental capabilites!! 🤭

BryanValRox

Well, sorry about that, not sure why that happens sometimes. I have taken key points from that document and directly copied and pasted below. Hope this helps !(there is also a link to the document within this forum on the main Forum page under the latest resources section)

Operation Guide for PD4500 Series Power Control Center

GENERAL OPERATION
The INTELI-POWER series converter will supply "clean" power from input voltages that range from 105 - 130VAC.
The INTELI-POWER series of converters are primarily designed for use with a battery, however, the output of the INTELI-POWER converters are a regulated, filtered DC voltage that can power sensitive electronics without the need for a battery or other filtering.
At normal input voltages (105 – 130VAC) the full load rated capacity is available. At input voltages less than 105 VAC the converter may not supply full rated output capacity.
PD4500LI - The full rated load is available for load, battery charging or both. When functioning as a regulated battery charger the converter has a nominal voltage output of 14.6 VDC. The system is designed to sense voltage on the battery and will taper the charging current as the battery becomes charged.
CAUTION
The 4500LI series converter/chargers are designed
to recharge lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries only.
DO NOT USE TO RECHARGE LEAD/ACID BATTERIES!
PD4500 - The full rated load is available for load, battery charging or both. When functioning as a regulated battery charger the converter has a nominal voltage output of 13.6 VDC. The system is designed to sense voltage on the battery and automatically selects one of three operating modes (normal, boost and storage) to provide the correct charge level to the batteries.
BOOST MODE: If the converter senses that the battery voltage has dropped below a preset level the output voltage is increased to approximately 14.4 VDC to rapidly recharge the battery.
NORMAL MODE: Output voltage set at approximately 13.6 VDC.
STORAGE MODE: When there has been no significant battery usage for 30 hours the output voltage is reduced to 13.2 VDC for minimal water usage. When in storage mode, the output voltage will periodically increase to 14.4 VDC to help prevent sulfation of the battery plates.
CAUTION
IT IS IMPORTANT THAT THE FLUID LEVELS OF ANY CONNECTED BATTERIES BE CHECKED ON A REGULAR BASIS. ALL BATTERIES WILL “GAS” AND LOSE SOME FLUID WHEN CONTINUOUSLY CONNECTED TO ANY CHARGING SOURCE

Well, sorry about that, not sure why that happens sometimes. I have taken key points from that document and directly copied and pasted below. Hope this helps !(there is also a link to the document within this forum on the main Forum page under the latest resources section)

Operation Guide for PD4500 Series Power Control Center

GENERAL OPERATION
The INTELI-POWER series converter will supply "clean" power from input voltages that range from 105 - 130VAC.
The INTELI-POWER series of converters are primarily designed for use with a battery, however, the output of the INTELI-POWER converters are a regulated, filtered DC voltage that can power sensitive electronics without the need for a battery or other filtering.
At normal input voltages (105 – 130VAC) the full load rated capacity is available. At input voltages less than 105 VAC the converter may not supply full rated output capacity.
PD4500LI - The full rated load is available for load, battery charging or both. When functioning as a regulated battery charger the converter has a nominal voltage output of 14.6 VDC. The system is designed to sense voltage on the battery and will taper the charging current as the battery becomes charged.
CAUTION
The 4500LI series converter/chargers are designed
to recharge lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries only.
DO NOT USE TO RECHARGE LEAD/ACID BATTERIES!
PD4500 - The full rated load is available for load, battery charging or both. When functioning as a regulated battery charger the converter has a nominal voltage output of 13.6 VDC. The system is designed to sense voltage on the battery and automatically selects one of three operating modes (normal, boost and storage) to provide the correct charge level to the batteries.
BOOST MODE: If the converter senses that the battery voltage has dropped below a preset level the output voltage is increased to approximately 14.4 VDC to rapidly recharge the battery.
NORMAL MODE: Output voltage set at approximately 13.6 VDC.
STORAGE MODE: When there has been no significant battery usage for 30 hours the output voltage is reduced to 13.2 VDC for minimal water usage. When in storage mode, the output voltage will periodically increase to 14.4 VDC to help prevent sulfation of the battery plates.
CAUTION
IT IS IMPORTANT THAT THE FLUID LEVELS OF ANY CONNECTED BATTERIES BE CHECKED ON A REGULAR BASIS. ALL BATTERIES WILL “GAS” AND LOSE SOME FLUID WHEN CONTINUOUSLY CONNECTED TO ANY CHARGING SOURCE
👍So much better! I get the converter concept, thank you!

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Happy new year! Does anyone know what the size and make of the inverter and converter in a 2023 340RL
The inverter in our 2023 was 2000w. Not sure of the exact charging capacity of the connverter. I have removed both (well...converter is there but no longer used) and installed a Victron MulitPlus 3000, that does both (along with 2000w of solar and 810 amp hours of Lithium batteries) Looking to buy another 320w panel? I have the one from Alliance just taking up space in my pole barn....it was removed to make space for the 10 x 200w panels.

Two on the road

Jim

Changing out your 2000w converter to 3000 w multiples, what actually does this mean for the system other then being able to run more 120 units at the same time or what?

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Jim

Changing out your 2000w converter to 3000 w multiples, what actually does this mean for the system other then being able to run more 120 units at the same time or what?

The Victron MultiPlus II is a device that powers the RV's 120v (runs 2 AC's while offgrid) and charges 12v (plus a few more features) It is shown in the upper left of this image of my new power system. I kept nothing from Alliance. ;) 1705022964245.png

BryanValRox

Hi Jim, that is some nice looking work! Neat, clean looking and organized! Congraulations!

Last edited:

Two on the road

Jim what do you want for your 320 watts panel I’m looking to place 3 on the rv to give me 960 watts. I think that would give me enough power to recharge my batteries, because we don’t do much boondocking. What do you think?

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Jim what do you want for your 320 watts panel I’m looking to place 3 on the rv to give me 960 watts. I think that would give me enough power to recharge my batteries, because we don’t do much boondocking. What do you think?
It is a balancing act between battery capacity and solar watts. Here in Oregon, I would invest more in battery power vs solar, simply due to the amount of tree cover, which impacts solar. What is your current battery bank?

I see a 2 pack of these panels on Amazon for $532 (See link) I would sell you mine for $225....picked up at my home in Sisters.

Here is the link to the specs for the panel

Two on the road

Jiim

I’ll buy you panel for $250.00 if you ship it to me in Grants Pass, but we are not back in Oregon until the end of April. At present we have two 200 Amph batteries and one 320 solar panel. I was debating on add one more 200 Amph unit. With 600 Amph and 3 320 panels

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Jiim

I’ll buy you panel for $250.00 if you ship it to me in Grants Pass, but we are not back in Oregon until the end of April. At present we have two 200 Amph batteries and one 320 solar panel. I was debating on add one more 200 Amph unit. With 600 Amph and 3 320 panels
Here is an estimate from FedEx for the shipping cost, but I don't have a box and they might want more based on the unusual size - 65.6 x 39.4 x 1.4 in

1705189337990.png

bhidalgo

It is a balancing act between battery capacity and solar watts. Here in Oregon, I would invest more in battery power vs solar, simply due to the amount of tree cover, which impacts solar. What is your current battery bank?

I see a 2 pack of these panels on Amazon for $532 (See link) I would sell you mine for $225....picked up at my home in Sisters.

Here is the link to the specs for the panel
Word of warning - good luck with getting those panels from Amazon first try. Took them sending me out 3 shipments over 4 weeks to get me a pair of them that were usable. Busted / abused boxes = shattered panels. Just my 0.02 .
/Bill