• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Considering a Generator

LuckyDog23

Yes, a 310RL will have a transfer switch and remote panel if ordered with gen prep. It will also have the sheet metal enclosure required to isolate the genset from the rest of the compartment. This may impact your space (height), as the enclosure doesn't go all the way to the top of the compartment.
Hi Mike — hadn’t considered that until last night when I happened upon a video of the new 2024 model of the 310 and they showed the compartment opened with the enclosure clearly visible. I sure wish Alliance was more forthcoming with specs. We have a Winnebago Class A and the parts book for it has very specific sizes for everything, dimensions etc. plus a full wiring diagram.

So gen prep will def impact our decision making. Glad you confirmed what I suspected.

LuckyDog23

Here’s an insane system. No generator at all!
We won’t be tearing our AC units off the roof or putting in a mini split but this guy’s design is awesome. I’m wanting merely to leverage the cost savings on the Onan generator into splurge on solar. I did see a video of a guy who put a Predator in a Moreryde sliding tray in his Cougar right next to the wet bay. Seems like a bad choice of location. He also rigged up an exhaust pipe that looks pretty sketchy. After looking at your setup and his and pricing solar components and GC batts, we probably will keep the Predator at home for its intended purpose which is house backup to save our bacon (and 300 lbs of grass fed and finished beef ). Every time there’s a bit of wind or tiny grass fire, our utility turns off our power.

So the current plan for future 310 is definitely pullout tray, plus a small manageable light generator that one person can lift into the back of our truck. I saw a couple that can be used in this manner and will power the fridge and some LEDs as needed.

RichieW13

Here’s an insane system. No generator at all!
We won’t be tearing our AC units off the roof or putting in a mini split but this guy’s design is awesome. I’m wanting merely to leverage the cost savings on the Onan generator into splurge on solar. I did see a video of a guy who put a Predator in a Moreryde sliding tray in his Cougar right next to the wet bay. Seems like a bad choice of location. He also rigged up an exhaust pipe that looks pretty sketchy. After looking at your setup and his and pricing solar components and GC batts, we probably will keep the Predator at home for its intended purpose which is house backup to save our bacon (and 300 lbs of grass fed and finished beef ). Every time there’s a bit of wind or tiny grass fire, our utility turns off our power.

So the current plan for future 310 is definitely pullout tray, plus a small manageable light generator that one person can lift into the back of our truck. I saw a couple that can be used in this manner and will power the fridge and some LEDs as needed.

They have six 270Ah Battle Born batteries. I think those bad boys retail for about $2,500. So they have about $15,000 invested in just the batteries for that rig!

LuckyDog23

A bit of follow up on the not-Onan generators. We were at an even where Camping World had some RVs in the parking lot on display and one had the newer Next-Gen smaller unit installed and running. It was very quiet - Honda quiet. It’s lighter by about 100 lbs according to the rep which sounds significant if accurate. It has the advantage of having a pull cord in case the battery is dead. Here’s a link to the manufacturer site.

We will get one of these when we order our trailer. Circumstances have us postponing it to late fall or even next year. I need shoulder surgery, we are trying to sell our house and I’m really slowed down due to a tear I sustained pulling myself up into our F250. And our house we are moving to is delayed by a broken foot (it’s family). It’s been one of those years.

Gord&Cindy

A bit of follow up on the not-Onan generators. We were at an even where Camping World had some RVs in the parking lot on display and one had the newer Next-Gen smaller unit installed and running. It was very quiet - Honda quiet. It’s lighter by about 100 lbs according to the rep which sounds significant if accurate. It has the advantage of having a pull cord in case the battery is dead. Here’s a link to the manufacturer site.

We will get one of these when we order our trailer. Circumstances have us postponing it to late fall or even next year. I need shoulder surgery, we are trying to sell our house and I’m really slowed down due to a tear I sustained pulling myself up into our F250. And our house we are moving to is delayed by a broken foot (it’s family). It’s been one of those years.
Thanks for the info. It's always good to have alternatives. I suspect we won't be getting a generator until next year now and I would be very interested in your experience with this generator should you decide to get one.