• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Considering a Generator

Gord&Cindy

Hi All,
I have been thinking about adding the generator that our 295MK came prepped for. I really know nothing about generators so any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

I believe the generator that would come with the RV (if it had one) would be the Onan 5500, is that correct?
I was looking at the 3600 just because it's a bit lighter and doesn't burn quite as much fuel, not sure if it is quieter. There is also another Onan that is even smaller but I'm not sure that would be a wise choice. Would the 3600 fit in the place reserved for the generator? Would a generator from some other manufacturer fit and would the wiring work with it?

Has anyone installed one of these generators in a Paradigm and if so, how do you like it?

LuckyDog23

Hey guys, never got a reply, eh? After a huge amount of debate we decided on the 310 but it’s about the same. I just wish we could find answers. I’m seeing a generator as a backup not a be all solution. We’d almost bought a GD Solitude but I was deterred after reading a few problems experienced with what’s on inverter and what is not and apparently that includes the bedroom tv. DH thinks three panels, three batteries and an installed generator instead of one in the truck bed. I hope we can find some answers.

ETA Aug 11: after actually enjoying some companionship in a fellow camper’s 310 I came to realize my short 5’4” stature and those way high cabinets over the coffee bar are a no fit. So we’ve been seesawing back and forth but ultimately changed our plan to the 295 instead.

Last edited:

Mike in North Wales

Hi all
We installed a generator in our prepped 310RL soon after delivery. We went with the Onan 5500, which is what Alliance would have installed if we ordered it. So far, we've only used it twice. Both times it was to run the AC on the road. Gotta keep the dogs cool while we're in a diner!

We were able to run 2 AC units at the same time. We ran it to cool the coach while driving to a campground last weekend. No, the dogs were not in it that time! Sometime in the 1.5 hour trip, the genset shut down. I'm not sure, but I think it may have something to do with the GasStop valve in the line. I've heard a genset can draw more than they can handle. I will troubleshoot and try to remember to report my findings.

The prep in the floor of the compartment is for a 5500. I don't know if the bolt pattern and cooling holes will line up with a 3600. You should look into this before you decide. Cooling is critical.

Good luck!

Gord&Cindy

Hi all
We installed a generator in our prepped 310RL soon after delivery. We went with the Onan 5500, which is what Alliance would have installed if we ordered it. So far, we've only used it twice. Both times it was to run the AC on the road. Gotta keep the dogs cool while we're in a diner!

We were able to run 2 AC units at the same time. We ran it to cool the coach while driving to a campground last weekend. No, the dogs were not in it that time! Sometime in the 1.5 hour trip, the genset shut down. I'm not sure, but I think it may have something to do with the GasStop valve in the line. I've heard a genset can draw more than they can handle. I will troubleshoot and try to remember to report my findings.

The prep in the floor of the compartment is for a 5500. I don't know if the bolt pattern and cooling holes will line up with a 3600. You should look into this before you decide. Cooling is critical.

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply.
We just got back from a short trip and were camped in a park for three days with no hookups and really wet, cloudy weather so no solar. I had to run our little Champion 2500 generator for several hours each day just to charge up the battery. I really like the residential fridge but it sure takes a lot of battery power to run it.
Anyway, I was not really thrilled with the noise level of the Champion even though it is an inverter generator. How would you rate the noise level of your Onan generator? I know I can read the numbers but real life often is different than the published numbers. Also, did it use a lot of propane? How long could you run it before it used up a 30# tank?

Mike in North Wales

Mike, do you have solar as well?
We have the standard 320w panel. We did not upgrade to super solar.

Buying the coach was an impulse buy, almost, and I wasn't well versed in the solar equipment at the time. I wasn't comfortable spending the amount that super solar required without research. Now that I've learned more, I think I would go with Victron equipment if I was to build an off-grid type system.

Mike in North Wales

Thanks for the reply.
We just got back from a short trip and were camped in a park for three days with no hookups and really wet, cloudy weather so no solar. I had to run our little Champion 2500 generator for several hours each day just to charge up the battery. I really like the residential fridge but it sure takes a lot of battery power to run it.
Anyway, I was not really thrilled with the noise level of the Champion even though it is an inverter generator. How would you rate the noise level of your Onan generator? I know I can read the numbers but real life often is different than the published numbers. Also, did it use a lot of propane? How long could you run it before it used up a 30# tank?
This is the 2nd coach we have had with an Onan 5500. The last was gas powered, in a toy hauler with a 40 gallon fuel cell. No worries about running out there! This is the same genset set up for propane. Overall, I think it's pretty quiet. Onan does a good job keeping the noise level low on their Quiet series RV gensets. I could sleep with it running, I believe. We only ran it for about 1.5 hours, but it barely moved the gauge needle on my GasStop. I don't have a good answer for propane use.

I plan to buy a Camco exhaust kit that will route the exhause above the roofline when stationary, so that will help reduce the noise at ground level, as well as move the exhaust away.

LuckyDog23

Gord, we have a predator from Harbor Freight and it weighs about 100 lbs. - not my idea of portable. It’s a 3000 if I recall correctly. I want to find something a bit more moveable. But it is propane capable as well as gas. We have a little propane tank for our Weber grill that is about 1/2 the size of a big grill version.

Mike, we attend frequent events that have banned contractor generators for the most part. We have a required Genturi and they have it at Camping World and on Amazon. It really works for the gasoline exhaust but I don’t see the point for propane. It muffles some sound.

I think we will order trailer with the single panel system. Dealer says they provide two LA batteries. We just will need to swap them for Lithium.

Last edited:

CornCrib

Portable, made not so.....8' flexible exhaust can be directed where we want. Not as quiet as an Onan, but not bad. Dual fuel, but have only used gas.F1F9716E-711E-470D-B2DD-90AF5715A56F_1_105_c.jpeg

Attachments

• 4B869677-1157-420A-9164-010A2ADB8F33_1_105_c.jpeg
    4B869677-1157-420A-9164-010A2ADB8F33_1_105_c.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 27
  • E583EC3F-A4AB-4711-A641-6271E4BE195C_1_105_c.jpeg
    E583EC3F-A4AB-4711-A641-6271E4BE195C_1_105_c.jpeg
    241.2 KB · Views: 28

LuckyDog23

Hey @CornCrib — brilliant idea. We are tentatively getting a Paradigm 310. Will that slide out tray fit just about any trailer? The Harbor Freight Predator we have is as follows:
20 in high
17.3 in wide
22.75 in long
Weight is 102 lb.

I’m not 100% sure on this but after I downloaded and read the owners manual for Paradigm I realized that unlike our Class A 5500 Onan behemoth coffee pot and microwave killer there’s no Generator Start switch in the trailer. In our Class A there are two inside, one in the control panel midship and one on the dash. That dash one has been a godsend since the Chevy factory air is not nearly close to being able to cool the whole coach. We can turn it on and off while driving. My hubby used the ‘dog-o-meter’ LOL. If the dog got hot and started panting in his bed on the couch we’d turn on the AC. Keeping the coach at a decent temp in 100° weather (I-5 transitting Redding in August) also kept the gas electric Norcold fridge temp at about 45. We never got it lower than that in ten years. So I said that conversationally but looks like factory installed generator still needs a person to go outside and start it. There’s no real advantage to that as I see it. Just costs way more.

I also notice that you got the game changer instead of two separate batteries. That’s a real space saver! Did you keep any of the renogy electronics?

Husband want to know with the single Solar panel what gauge wire did they use? I don’t want to pay for that huge super Solar which I believe is 4 total panels.

All these questions are one we want sorted before we dump $100K or more…

Last edited:

CornCrib

You might have to find one that is the correct dimensions for your unit. I got lucky. This is the Kwikee Tray we used ... almost the exact footprint of our Gen. My biggest hurdle was a generator/tray combo that was low enough to fit thru the reduced height of the Avenue front storage door. I wanted the Predator or Onan 4500, but the door opening I have didn't allow the clearance. This Firman just squeaks in.
You won't have the same limitations as I in the Paradigm.

LuckyDog23

You might have to find one that is the correct dimensions for your unit. I got lucky. This is the Kwikee Tray we used ... almost the exact footprint of our Gen. My biggest hurdle was a generator/tray combo that was low enough to fit thru the reduced height of the Avenue front storage door. I wanted the Predator or Onan 4500, but the door opening I have didn't allow the clearance. This Firman just squeaks in.
You won't have the same limitations as I in the Paradigm.
Any idea where I can get specs for the paradigm opening? Maybe someone with a 310 can chime in? Don’t ya just love eTrailer!

Gord&Cindy

Hey @CornCrib — brilliant idea. We are tentatively getting a Paradigm 310. Will that slide out tray fit just about any trailer? The Harbor Freight Predator we have is as follows:
20 in high
17.3 in wide
22.75 in long
Weight is 102 lb.

I’m not 100% sure on this but after I downloaded and read the owners manual for Paradigm I realized that unlike our Class A 5500 Onan behemoth coffee pot and microwave killer there’s no Generator Start switch in the trailer. In our Class A there are two inside, one in the control panel midship and one on the dash. That dash one has been a godsend since the Chevy factory air is not nearly close to being able to cool the whole coach. We can turn it on and off while driving. My hubby used the ‘dog-o-meter’ LOL. If the dog got hot and started panting in his bed on the couch we’d turn on the AC. Keeping the coach at a decent temp in 100° weather (I-5 transitting Redding in August) also kept the gas electric Norcold fridge temp at about 45. We never got it lower than that in ten years. So I said that conversationally but looks like factory installed generator still needs a person to go outside and start it. There’s no real advantage to that as I see it. Just costs way more.

I also notice that you got the game changer instead of two separate batteries. That’s a real space saver! Did you keep any of the renogy electronics?

Husband want to know with the single Solar panel what gauge wire did they use? I don’t want to pay for that huge super Solar which I believe is 4 total panels.

Our 295MK came prepped for a generator with all the wiring and piping to the propane tanks as well as a remote start/hour meter in a cabinet on the inside of the trailer.
I'm just not sure whether we should get the 5500 or the smaller 4000/3600. I like the fact that the smaller one is lighter and uses less propane but I'm not sure it would have all the power we would need.

LuckyDog23

I just re-read that section in the manual. It doesn’t say there’s a start switch inside - it doesn’t say there isn’t, either. Sheesh. It does specifically say the Control Panel is on the inside of the generator. But I’m sure glad you pointed that out! On the bright side it looks like we can install any generator we want that uses propane. Since we already bought one…

Where can I find info in various generator options - was that furnished after you bought the trailer or did your dealer tell you there were options?

Attachments

• IMG_0461.jpeg
    IMG_0461.jpeg
    279.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Gord&Cindy

I received absolutely no information from our dealer about the generator. The only info I have is what I've learned on this forum and the Onan website.
So if you learn more, please share! ;):D

CornCrib

It would be hard to not go with the Onan 5500, especially if you already own one and can take it from one unit to another. If the GenPrep on the Alliance came with the remote switch and an auto transfer switch, that would be nice also. As we didn't have one to move over, the $599 vs $5000 for the Gen, 110# vs 250#, and the option of not taking it with us if not needed, or if we changed our mind .. plus option of Gas/LP vs LP only, it was worth having to go outside an plug into the Gen when needed.

We went with 2 GC3 batteries, 540AH total. The solar from the factory came with a 2000w inverter, 20amp solar charger and 1 320w solar panel. On my own, I bought 3 more of the panels to match from Renogy, a Victron MPii to replace the inverter and a 150/100 Victron MPPT to replace the Renogy solar charger. So all that will remain after I'm done is the single 320w panel. Installing myself will save a few bucks.

10ga. wires from roof to solar controller. Will be able to leave that in place for my setup.

LuckyDog23

More to muse over. Yes we own a gas powered Onan 30 amp technically but it’s part of the class A it’s installed in as OEM equipment. What we bought for our house here to keep our freezer running during frequent power shut offs is the Predator from Harbor Freight and it’s a 30 amp dual fuel deal, a tad bit bigger than yours but the correct tray will work for us. After running all this past hubby, he suggested ordering the Paradigm with gen prep but not the gen set itself. That leaves option to buy later if need be. Based on what @Gord&Cindy said, their 495 came with remote and transfer. I’m assuming a 310 would also.

I’m in agreement that the cost and weight deltas are significant. It’s becoming apparent it’s worth going outside to plug it in.

My shopping list will likely exceed the cost of the genset but probably not by much. Add a pair of Hunter boots and a rain slick and we are good to go.

Mike in North Wales

More to muse over. Yes we own a gas powered Onan 30 amp technically but it’s part of the class A it’s installed in as OEM equipment. What we bought for our house here to keep our freezer running during frequent power shut offs is the Predator from Harbor Freight and it’s a 30 amp dual fuel deal, a tad bit bigger than yours but the correct tray will work for us. After running all this past hubby, he suggested ordering the Paradigm with gen prep but not the gen set itself. That leaves option to buy later if need be. Based on what @Gord&Cindy said, their 495 came with remote and transfer. I’m assuming a 310 would also.

I’m in agreement that the cost and weight deltas are significant. It’s becoming apparent it’s worth going outside to plug it in.

My shopping list will likely exceed the cost of the genset but probably not by much. Add a pair of Hunter boots and a rain slick and we are good to go.
Yes, a 310RL will have a transfer switch and remote panel if ordered with gen prep. It will also have the sheet metal enclosure required to isolate the genset from the rest of the compartment. This may impact your space (height), as the enclosure doesn't go all the way to the top of the compartment.

Coco

Thats a looking setup Corncrib! What exhaust pipe are you talking about? We are soon going to mount our gen in a similar fashion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk