• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Can I run 2 ACs on 30 Amp Service

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
We will soon be at a site with 30 amp service here in Texas. Will we be able to run 2 of 3 a/cs on our 24 310 rl at same time? Thanks
Most have found that, yes, you should be able to. Just be sure that your water heater is set to Gas and that you are not using any large AC power devices, such as Microwave, Hair Dryer, Coffee Maker, Induction Cooktop etc. - at the same time you are using 2 ACs. When you need to run 2 ACs on 30A power and also need to run another high current item, temporarily turn one AC off.

Fishfnatic

Most have found that, yes, you should be able to. Just be sure that your water heater is set to Gas and that you are not using any large AC power devices, such as Microwave, Hair Dryer, Coffee Maker, Induction Cooktop etc. - at the same time you are using 2 ACs. When you need to run 2 ACs on 30A power and also need to run another high current item, temporarily turn one AC off.
Thanks Jim. I guess I should start 1 first then start second one if needed? Maybe middle one during day and bedroom only at night?

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Yes to the starting procedure. Wait until the compressor on 1 AC has run for a few minutes, then start the second. Note too that you will benefit by adding Easy Starts by MicroAir or similar to both ACs. This slows the current ramp of the AC compressors and allows them to start easier when you are on smaller power sources (30A shore, inverted battery power, small generator).

darrell

TBH, running two ACs will be a challenge on 30amps either way. If that is all that is running you might be ok. You start turning on any other AC appliances while the AC is running could cause a trip. And without the soft starts, you are always at risk that both AC compressors could cycle on together and trip. I would definitely be concerned about leaving pets behind in this situation if you don't have somethinng to alert you of the event.

CornCrib

General question on SoftStarts and a Victron MPii 2x120:
With power assist, isn't' the need for SoftStarts greatly reduced ... or eliminated? The power assist feature would kick in for the short period of time the need from the ACs exceeds 30 amps....or am I misunderstanding something?

With power assist, isn't' the need for SoftStarts greatly reduced ... or eliminated? The power assist feature would kick in for the short period of time the need from the ACs exceeds 30 amps....or am I misunderstanding something?
We can run all 3 AC units and do all summer on 30 amps during the day because exactly what you said about the Victron Multiplus being able to do power assist via solar and battery bank. We have 1000 amp battery bank so we can run well into the night using power assist from the Multiplus'. We also have SoftStarts on all three units and fell it helps as all three may kick in at once.

To the OP, we ran two ACs on 30 amps the first two years we had our 365 RD. Like said above, turn one on and then the other (if you don't have SoftStarts), and turn off one when you need to run a heavy amp appliance. 12v fans are a really good addition to the AC and don't draw much power.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Hi Paul - Yes, Victron's Assist feature (on a 3K or higher inverter) will make up the additional current needed at startup. That said, the Easy Start / Soft Start will still make smooth out that LRA at startup and some say they may be helpful to the life of the aircons.

darrell

I am not sure how you can run 3 acs on 30amps, but maybe Alliance is running smaller units that my current trailer. Running current for my ACs is about 13a each. So if I had all three running I would be seeing a fairly constant nearly 40amp draw. If I was constantly trying to manage power load when each compressor is running (not starting, just running) then my desired temperature will be affected, possibly more than just running 2. If you are adjusting input power to the ACs a lot, outside of what they may have been designed for, I suspect you are limiting the life expectancy of them, but I have no idea if that is weeks, months, or years of life.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
I am not sure how you can run 3 acs on 30amps, but maybe Alliance is running smaller units that my current trailer. Running current for my ACs is about 13a each. So if I had all three running I would be seeing a fairly constant nearly 40amp draw. If I was constantly trying to manage power load when each compressor is running (not starting, just running) then my desired temperature will be affected, possibly more than just running 2. If you are adjusting input power to the ACs a lot, outside of what they may have been designed for, I suspect you are limiting the life expectancy of them, but I have no idea if that is weeks, months, or years of life.
@darrell - With the inverter providing the incremental current, 3 ACs can be run from 30A shore power for some period of time, based on the SOC of the batteries and the low-voltage cut-off point or a user set cut-off point.
Alliance uses 13.5 K BTU ACs on all of their brands.

darrell

So you are cycling them on and off, and may or may not get better performance than just running 2. But you are also cycling the compressors on and off more often aren't you. My units are 15k btu, so they are a little more power hungry than they were on my 390MP.

darrell

One note about running 2 ACs on 30amps, make sure you run the right two on 30amps if you have 3. 2 of them will be on the same leg on the breaker panel, you don't want to try to run two units on the same side of the panel on a 50amp trailer with a 30amp feed.

Fishfnatic

One note about running 2 ACs on 30amps, make sure you run the right two on 30amps if you have 3. 2 of them will be on the same leg on the breaker panel, you don't want to try to run two units on the same side of the panel on a 50amp trailer with a 30amp feed.
How do I determine which one is on which leg? Will breaker trip to let know or does someone know how 310 a/c s are set up?

darrell

You should be able to tell with the breaker panel. If that doesn't give you a clue, you can watch the amps on each leg with an ammeter (if you have or can borrow an EMS with a display) to see which leg goes up with each AC unit. I am not sure which breaker panel Alliance is using in your trailer, but you can likely look up the documentation and it may tell you which breaker positions belong to which leg.

Terri&KevinGates

We have a 310RL and have run 2 A/C on 30 amps with no issues. Not sure why it would matter if both are on the same leg. The 30 amp adapter combines both legs into one so the weak link is the 30 amp breaker in the power post. As far as which breakers are on which leg when you open the panel in the RV the 50 amp main breaker is installed in the middle. Everything to the left of it is on one leg and to the right is the other. Can’t get in our trailer right now but it seems like the A/Cs are labeled front, center and rear.

darrell

Yes, sorry. You are correct of course. I was conflating two different issues I have seen. My issue came from the side of my generator. I have a 30amp leg and a 20amp leg (Onan 5500), and I try to make sure I run 2 of them on different legs to avoid tripping the generator in the event just about anything else is used in the kitchen. Please ignore my drivel for the last couple of posts lol. I don't even know what to say about myself. I'll put myself in the corner.