• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Black and grey tank gauge accuracy?

castore357

How accurate are the tank gauges? I can't seem to get them to read empty on all tanks (4) on 36v11, even tho nothings coming out.

Bozo

No tank gauges that I have ever dealt with are very accurate. You have to get to know your unit with respect to what the gauges are telling you. Always flush when possible as well.

CornCrib

They will be as accurate as they are clean inside. If the black tank has been emptied, flushed and a nominal amount of water put back in (5-10 gallons for instance), but a piece of debris is hanging on the top sensor, the tank will read full. I find it best to use a combination of thorough tank cleaning and keeping debris out of tanks as much as is possible (no food down the kitchen sink, for instance), and math. How much fresh water have you used since last dump, and in what manner (showers?). That, along with reading the sensors will tell you how full you are.

There are solutions out there that provide more accurate readings, but I haven't felt compelled to pursue or spend on them based on my experience, as of yet. Mopeka makes a sensor that is supposed to give a much more accurate reading of your fresh tank, but not recomended by the manufacturer for tanks that contain debris. Some are using for these anyway and initial reviews are good. I'm keeping my eye out for their experiences over time.

No tank gauges that I have ever dealt with are very accurate. You have to get to know your unit with respect to what the gauges are telling you. Always flush when possible as well.
I agree, the last camper I had the black tank would go from empty to full and back to 1/3 full in the course of a few days. My black water tank would always last 5 days and we never camp for more than that. The 2 gray tanks would fill up in 3 days and I would drain them for about 45 seconds but maintain 2/3 full so as to have enough gray to clean up after the black tank flush. We will take out Delta 262RB out for the first time this Sunday for 5 nights. I'll have 50% greater capacity than my last camper but I don't thing I'll change my routine at all. One thing I always do after draining and flushing the black tank is to add 3 or 4 gallons of water to the black tank before leaving to the next destination to help clean any leftover debris.

Bozo

I agree, the last camper I had the black tank would go from empty to full and back to 1/3 full in the course of a few days. My black water tank would always last 5 days and we never camp for more than that. The 2 gray tanks would fill up in 3 days and I would drain them for about 45 seconds but maintain 2/3 full so as to have enough gray to clean up after the black tank flush. We will take out Delta 262RB out for the first time this Sunday for 5 nights. I'll have 50% greater capacity than my last camper but I don't thing I'll change my routine at all. One thing I always do after draining and flushing the black tank is to add 3 or 4 gallons of water to the black tank before leaving to the next destination to help clean any leftover debris.
i do the same thing…make poop soup.lol!

castore357

Thanks for the insight. Well noted.👍