• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Balance your trailer tires (My experience)

RockDr896

I own a 370FB and took it on it's first 400 mile trip. I purchased the 8,000ln axle upgrade and the disk brake option. The brakes on 2 tires fell off and damaged the rims. Dexter did a great job making it right and I had to order 2 rims from Alliance. What people need to know, is any manufacturer that sells something with tires on it, do not balance the tires. When I put the new rims onto the tires, one rim needed 5 1/2 ozs! So I am suggesting that one should consider balancing the tires to reduce stresses on bearings, frame, ect ..... If you have a 17.5" tire, take it to a truck center. The automotive places usually can't handle the larger tire.

RockDr896

The Brake work was performed via a Dexter picked Mobile mechanic, since I couldn't pull it safely. The Tire and rim work were performed by a goodyear "Cooper tire" dealer, that also had a commercial side. I took the rims off and ran them up to dealer. All my expenses were paid by Dexter, including the rims provided by Alliance. Approximately $1,900. I had to replace 1 tire as well.

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
The Brake work was performed via a Dexter picked Mobile mechanic, since I couldn't pull it safely. The Tire and rim work were performed by a goodyear "Cooper tire" dealer, that also had a commercial side. I took the rims off and ran them up to dealer. All my expenses were paid by Dexter, including the rims provided by Alliance. Approximately $1,900. I had to replace 1 tire as well.
I think I am reading this as none of the failed issues were installed at the Alliance factory. All work was done after the purchase by 3rd party?

RockDr896

Nope, I misunderstood your question. The 8,000lb axle and brakes were all installed at Alliance. I took delivery 12/23/22, so maybe it was the holiday spirit. ...LOL

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nope, I misunderstood your question. The 8,000lb axle and brakes were all installed at Alliance. I took delivery 12/23/22, so maybe it was the holiday spirit. ...LOL
oh... :( Guess I will be doing a very deep inspection. thanks for the heads-up

RockDr896

The bolt that holds the pads together "at the top" backed out. Which then proceeded to do machine work on the rims. I guess you can check to make sure the Bolts have a nylon Nut or thread lock on them. Either that, or they were not torqued correctly. I mean it did make it from the factory to NC to be delivered. Looking at the factory tour video, I noticed that the drum brakes are pre-assembled. I don't see a way for the disk brakes to be per-assembled, since the rotor hub is held on by the tire. Disk Brakes are a new offering and the parts for my setup wasn't even in the system yet. I attached a picture of what I think I have on mine and the part that failed is highlighted. Here is the link ........

Attachments

• Brake info-Maybe.jpg
    Brake info-Maybe.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 12

Trent Mills

The bolt that holds the pads together "at the top" backed out. Which then proceeded to do machine work on the rims. I guess you can check to make sure the Bolts have a nylon Nut or thread lock on them. Either that, or they were not torqued correctly. I mean it did make it from the factory to NC to be delivered. Looking at the factory tour video, I noticed that the drum brakes are pre-assembled. I don't see a way for the disk brakes to be per-assembled, since the rotor hub is held on by the tire. Disk Brakes are a new offering and the parts for my setup wasn't even in the system yet. I attached a picture of what I think I have on mine and the part that failed is highlighted. Here is the link ........
Clarification. Disk brakes for the standard 7K axles have been offered as an option from the first units. The 8K axles and disks are a new offering.