• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

5th Wheel Hitch Position

exps01

I just got the B&W Companion gooseneck to 5th wheel hitch and will be installing it to be able to tow our new 310RL. Is there a preferred setup position for this for these RVs? This is my first 5th wheel and see there's a few different height options as well as positions from the gooseneck post. I have a 2020 GMC Sierra 3500 DW, standard suspension (no lifts, etc.).

Thanks!

Mazboy

exps01

I think my wording was a little confusing looking at it. The gooseneck is already pre-existing and set up. I'm talking about the positioning of the arms on the hitch itself. With the tonneau cover with box at the front of the bed, my initial thought process was to go high and back to ensure clearance of the rails along the bed and the box at the front of the cab. Just wanted to see if anyone else had experience with this and could say "this setup worked." Here's what I'm talking about:

Attachments

• 5th wheel hitch arm position.jpg
    5th wheel hitch arm position.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 19

TamRick

I think my wording was a little confusing looking at it. The gooseneck is already pre-existing and set up. I'm talking about the positioning of the arms on the hitch itself. With the tonneau cover with box at the front of the bed, my initial thought process was to go high and back to ensure clearance of the rails along the bed and the box at the front of the cab. Just wanted to see if anyone else had experience with this and could say "this setup worked." Here's what I'm talking about:
I have a Ford longbed, with a toolbox that is flush with the bed rails. I installed the hitch with the arms in the forward position. There seems to be clearance if a toolbox above the bed rails but it would have to be a short height. I used the forward location solely to prevent weight transfer off the front end when hitched. I actually gain about 40lbs. I’ve never tried with arms in the center location; that would give me more room when the tailgate is open while hitched.

Tgrfan2

I would definitely recommend the forward position. I have a Ram 3500 short bed with the puck system. I tried mine forward and as with the Ford it put about 40-60# on the front axle. I have a large toolbox which interferes with the Companion lever. I have to slide back before disconnecting. I have changed mine to the rear position and it took 60# off the front axle. Mine is a 385FL with 3350# pin wgt.
I am going to change mine back to the forward position since I have to slide it back anyway. Back in my old farming days, we always tried to attach our gooseneck balls 2-3 inches in front of the rear axle center line which gave about 200# of wgt on the front axle if I remember correctly. I wish I could get this pin that far up.