• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

370FB - Beware of the back wall to floor attachment

RockDr896

I saw others on this forum talking about the angle iron attachment, which holds the back wall to the floor. So I checked it out this weekend. All my screws were in, however I was able to simply pull out the floor screws without a screwdriver or drill. So, luckily I avoided what could be a bad situation. I STRONGLY suggest everyone take a look. Here is a video that speaks in the greatest detail for even a novice to fix the issue. Good luck!!

dwcfish

Please note that Alliance has issued the attached document related to this. I had this happen to my rig. Alliance has changed how the rear wall is attached so this should not still be am issue. I would like to note that the screws in the floor was originally not thought to be an issue, but I also had them pull out of the floor.

Attachments

• Rear Wall-Floor Repair Process.pdf
    645.6 KB · Views: 38

RockDr896

Thanks for the info.........Where did you find this detailed info? Is it in buried in the alliance support website? Meaning...is there one common place to see where they post these repairs that are not a "recall" ....although it should have been......

BryanValRox

Please note that Alliance has issued the attached document related to this. I had this happen to my rig. Alliance has changed how the rear wall is attached so this should not still be am issue. I would like to note that the screws in the floor was originally not thought to be an issue, but I also had them pull out of the floor.
Thank you, this is exactly the type of information that brings value to this forum, whether or not you need to utilize it or not, it documents a robust fix for the issue.

Last edited:

dwcfish

The info was part of another post on this website...... Since I had this issue I happened to remember it was out there. My suggestion would be to contact Alliance if you are concerned about this issue and see if your rig was built before or after they changed how they attached the rear wall to the unit. It's a pain if it comes loose......

Last edited:

RockDr896

I am lucky my wall hasn't moved, so I want to avoid removing the skirt panel. I am going to check and see if I can substitute the 90 degree bracket, with a piece of angle underneath. Picture of idea attached. It will accomplish the same thing and I can use a thicker/stronger support for the side wall.

Attachments

• Eliminate 90 degree bracket w angle underneath.jpg
    Eliminate 90 degree bracket w angle underneath.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 26

dwcfish

You might consider doing what Alliance did to my rig, at the bottom of the rear wall they ran screws through the rear wall into the frame. Also ran screws on the sides connecting the rear wall to the side walls. This was done under the moldings on the sides and bottom of the rear wall. Probably won't be able to do this, when they fixed mine they disconnected the rear wall and applied adhesive all around the edges before reattaching the rear wall. Also they did leave the angle iron still attached on the inside.

RockDr896

Well men, I waited too long to prevent the floor from moving on my 370FB. I did the inside upgrade and really didn't think the floor would move. I was wrong. I put in an email in to service, so we will see what happens. This is such a blatant example of poor engineering. I can't wait to here why this doesn't fall under the 3 year structural warranty. It should be a recall really. I will update with my experience with service on the issue.
My question to anyone who has corrected this issue is on the second picture. Is this the point I need to strap to, in order to realign the floor?

Attachments

• 1714591529127.png
    1714591529127.png
    463.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 1714591591669.png
    1714591591669.png
    445.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 1714591613266.png
    1714591613266.png
    298.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 1714591633413.png
    1714591633413.png
    403.2 KB · Views: 7

dwcfish

When this happened to me I was unable to use the strap method to get the wall back in place. I secured the wall and made the trip to the factory for the repair. When repairing inside be sure and put larger screws in the floor. I reattached the angle iron to the back wall and it them pulled those dang self tapping screws out of the floor.

RockDr896

When this happened to me I was unable to use the strap method to get the wall back in place. I secured the wall and made the trip to the factory for the repair. When repairing inside be sure and put larger screws in the floor. I reattached the angle iron to the back wall and it them pulled those dang self tapping screws out of the floor.
I did use larger screws on the inside. I was thinking the floor couldn't possibly move, however I was wrong. I will most likely need to remove the inside repairs, before trying to move the floor. Fingers crossed, that I don't have to make a journey to Elkhart. I am parked in a warehouse unit, so I may need to use a bit more convincing. Maybe a come along hooked to a beam? My concern is pulling at one point, creates another problem. To state it mildly, I am a bit mad.
I am wondering if the wind during travel, allows the weight to be lifted and then the floor can move. It's like moving a footer from under a house really. this is a blatant engineering blunder.

Last edited:

dwcfish

Actually it is not the floor that moves, it is the rear wall that is moving. When I took mine to the factory they actually pulled the entire rear wall loose and reset it in the correct spot, then got it properly attached.

When the rear wall is loose your entire rigs structure is moving side to side. This is what causes the damage to the skirting. The floor is attached to the frame and is not moving.

Last edited:

RockDr896

Actually it is not the floor that moves, it is the rear wall that is moving. When I took mine to the factory they actually pulled the entire rear wall loose and reset it in the correct spot, then got it properly attached.
Makes more sense and makes me even madder. It would take less force to move the back wall. Maybe the engineering lesson they are getting is the structural strength of the Azedel walls is not very good. Even after I installed the rivets in the angle iron on the inside, it still moved? I really do appreciate your feedback, but I will need to take some time to compute. If the back wall was moving, wouldn't I see the stress points in the upper corners of the panel? More importantly, if it has moved that much, what condition are the existing fasteners/screws in?

dwcfish

My perception of what was happening is that the sidewalls are moving with the backwall. On the inside you should check the storage areas next to the couch and the cabinets above the couch for damage. They had to replace the storage areas next to the couch on mine since the movement basically destroyed them.

I could never get my wall back to where it was. I ended up installing a piece of 2" angle iron on the floor and connecting this to the rear wall. This gave me enough room to firmly connect to the floor. The Alliance Doc says that they have not seen the angle iron pull out of the floor - I can tell you that this happened on mine after I fixed the connection to the rear wall. The existing screws in the floor are not adequate.

The entire experience was frustrating and frankly a bit scary. It happened to us when we were on the road with our grandkids. I was worried the rig would blow up going down the road.

I would definitely talk with Alliance about this. They know this has been a problem and should fix it.

DanNJanice

Well men, I waited too long to prevent the floor from moving on my 370FB. I did the inside upgrade and really didn't think the floor would move. I was wrong. I put in an email in to service, so we will see what happens. This is such a blatant example of poor engineering. I can't wait to here why this doesn't fall under the 3 year structural warranty. It should be a recall really. I will update with my experience with service on the issue.
My question to anyone who has corrected this issue is on the second picture. Is this the point I need to strap to, in order to realign the floor?
Just the thought of this situation makes me sick to my stomach. I did the recommended fix and so far that has held fine. However, you are right! This should be a recall, plain and simple. The fact that they don't consider this to be covered by the structural warrantee is just inconceivable. I mean, how much more structural can you get than having an entire wall shifting.

Bozo

I am becoming more convinced, by the day, that alliance is no different than most of the rest of the rv industry. I will leave it at that.

dwcfish

I am going to disagree with you. I have never had a company where when I have an issue I can talk with the VP of customer service. There have been plenty of issues, more than there should be. But they have always been responsive to me.

UFF

Does anyone know what years are affected by this? I have a 2023 310rl. Checked my screws and all were tight.