• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

310RL Brake Lights Wiring

bhidalgo

Good morning all,
The driver side brake light on the back of our 310 RL is broken in two places. So I decided to replace both of taillights on the rig with an alternative from eTrailer.

The lens on the currently installed light is cracked on top. And one of the two license plate holder tabs broke off when I replaced my yearly renewal sticker on my plate.
IMG_3466.jpeg

However, the wiring on the new brake light does not match the wiring on the rig, and that’s my main issue here.

The new brake light has three single wires: white, black, and green.
The rig has two white, two red and a white/green striped pair of wires.
The current light has a white, a black and a red wire.
The attached picture will show you the currently wired-in OEM brake light. (White to white, black to white/striped green, and red to red.)

** Sorry about the finger gesture. It was completely unintentional. I realized what I did when I looked at the picture while was putting this post together, and it was too late to go back the 20 miles to the storage where the rig is and take another one.. But really Alliance is number one, right? **
IMG_3544.jpeg

I need to find out what wires go where between the new light and the wiring on the rig. I placed a call with Alliance service yesterday for assistance - from which I haven’t heard back from yet.

The broken light still works.

However, we’re going for a week for our yearly wedding anniversary trip this coming week to Ft Wilderness at Disney World, and I would really like to get this resolved before I get back on the road heading down there. Mind you it’s only about two hours from my house but I still need to make sure that the tail lights gonna work and the license plate won’t break off.

If anyone has any idea how this new light is supposed to wire to the trailer, I would really appreciate it the huge help.

Thanks - Bill

BryanValRox

Hi Bill,
So, you could use a test light or meter, with your truck hooked up to validate which wire is what. Think ground, taillight and brake light/turn signal. Sure wish the A-team would recognize the benefit of releasing schematics to empower their owners to resolve simple fixes like this.

I will offer my best guess assessment below. Keep in mind that the Brake light circuit will provide a much brighter light then the taillight circuit.
So here goes it!(guess only, confirm with meter or test light)

Your 3 plain white wires would be the ground circuit(one to your current light, one jumped to the other side, and one that leads to the 7 pin connection up front at the pin box.

Your White /green strip wires would be your tail light circuit(turn your truck lights on test wire with test light or meter to confirm. You could disconnect that wire to ensure the taillights go out to be sure.(same concept on routing, one to your current light , one to the other side and one to the 7 pin.

Your red wire would be your brake light circuit(Brighter light), (same routing concept)

As far as your new light goes, I would suggest testing on a battery to figure out which is the ground wire, tail, and brake circuits. I would bet, you could use a STD 9v battery to prove out your circuits on your new light before hooking to the coach. Let me know how you make out!

Just an update after further reflection, it is entirely possible that the routing could include the flat trailer pin connector at the rear of the coach. So, in your senerio it is possible that the red doesn’t jump to the other side , but rather to the flat trailer plug at the rear hitch. Again, you would be able to easily figure the wiring strategy out with a test light and or meter and simple testing.

Last edited:

Mazboy

I'm sure there are a few other ways, like stated above, but what I ended up doing when I upgraded my rear lights was just trial and error. Good Luck, you'll figure it out.

I probably should have read what the guy above you said before I installed my lights:)

Last edited:

bhidalgo

Everything has now been replaced, and it all works great. A LOT brighter and a little bigger than the OEM taillights.
I had to end up doing a follow-up with Alliance service since I had not heard anything from them when it came time to swap things out.
In the end, however, I never got any help from them on the wiring issue at all.

Thanks to everyone out there who helped me out with this.

Purchased below lights from e-Trailer:

Low Profile LED RV Tail Light w/ License Bracket - 4 Function - 12 Diodes - Black Base - Driver Side - RVSTLB61
Low Profile LED RV Tail Light - Stop, Tail, Turn - 9 Diodes - Black Base - Passenger Side

The final wiring setup was as follows:
DRIVER SIDE
1702245692756.png

PASSENGER SIDE
1702245673576.png

Thanks again.
Bill

BryanValRox

Glad it all worked out!
Thanks for the follow up post, this is a prime example of information sharing that make us all better educated and further empowered to make repairs to our coaches.