• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

2024 Ave 32RLS Bedroom Cable Slide

DB Family

The 2024 32RLS I saw yesterday was using a cable slide for the bedroom. Any speculation why they changed? Do you think it will be installed in all Avenue and Paradigm ?

Mike in North Wales

They are no longer using the Schwintek slide mechanism. I assume they have too many claims/repairs/failures, as many manufacturers have experienced.

Hrkdrivr

We are soon to take delivery of a 2024 Alliance 395DS and the smaller slides are cable-driven. The bigger one is hyrdraulic rack and pinioin (?).

The maintenance tech said the cable drives were more reliable and easier to adjust and/or fix. We’ve never had an RV with slides so I don’t know enough to have an informed decision, but I did notice the difference between the ’23 and ’24 models.

arigel

What brand of cable slide is it? Rigor -rv repair tech - flat states BAL cable slides are 'evil' and don't buy a trailer with them.

Watch his video on slides - he also reviews a couple Alliance trailors

Turfengineer

I have heard very bad reviews for cable slides, but I also had to get the Schwintek bedroom slide on my brand new 32rls. I’m not sure there is a reliable option at this point.

arigel

The Rigor RV tech guy clarified in a later video that while the BAL 'accu' slide was bad/don't buy, but the BAL 'exact' slide fixed the issues and was ok in his opinion.

Found a post on the Alliance group FB page that the sticker on a trailer at a show referenced the BAL exact slide. But haven't read any one from Alliance confirm they use one or the other.

Gonna have to call and clarify...

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
The Rigor RV tech guy clarified in a later video that while the BAL 'accu' slide was bad/don't buy, but the BAL 'exact' slide fixed the issues and was ok in his opinion.

Found a post on the Alliance group FB page that the sticker on a trailer at a show referenced the BAL exact slide. But haven't read any one from Alliance confirm they use one or the other.

Gonna have to call and clarify...
In place of Schwintek slides, we switched over tothe BAL Exact Slide across most of our 5th wheel lines.

Here's a link to some documentation on the BAL Exact-Slide.

ChrisBair

I just looked at a 2024 Avenue 37MBR - it has a BAL Accu-slide, not the Exact-slide, at least that's what was under the master bedroom slideout.

Attachments

• 20240302_124813.jpg
    20240302_124813.jpg
    497.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 2024-03-02 15_45_54-Insta360 Studio 2024 4.9.2 - D__2024-03-02 Alliance RVs_Source_VID_2024030...png
    2024-03-02 15_45_54-Insta360 Studio 2024 4.9.2 - D__2024-03-02 Alliance RVs_Source_VID_2024030...png
    1.6 MB · Views: 17

chrsbrq

Here is the response I got from Alliance. I also specifically asked for a review of the negative feedback from Rigor RV Repair video on YouTube.

"The bedroom slide mechanism that we use is the Accu-Slide system with the motor location below the slide box. We use this mechanism because the slide box has very little weight to it and it sits above the floor and it has shown to be much more reliable than other slide mechanisms such as Schwintek, etc. Our main slide outs in the living area are rack & pinion slide mechanisms which are the most trouble-free in the industry. They are needed because those slide outs support a lot more weight and these slide out mechanisms are tied directly to the frame area to support the weight of the slide out from below. Hope this information helps to clarify things for you.

In regards to the slide out. Cable slides first got a bad reputation when they were used with large heavy slides. This is not the best use for that mechanism. We only use it in smaller shallow lightweight applications and it performs well for us. The cable slide has been quite dependable for many customers and manufacturers when installed properly and used for non-weight bearing applications in a smaller shallow slide. There are literally thousands of them out there in use today without any issues. One service tech’s opinion from only the units he has personally seen is hard to counter the thousands of units that are operating in a trouble-free situation. (Remember he is only seeing those units that have a problem) If any service is needed, the panel inside the bed storage under the bed can be very easily accessed by a service technician. "

Bozo

Here is the response I got from Alliance. I also specifically asked for a review of the negative feedback from Rigor RV Repair video on YouTube.

"The bedroom slide mechanism that we use is the Accu-Slide system with the motor location below the slide box. We use this mechanism because the slide box has very little weight to it and it sits above the floor and it has shown to be much more reliable than other slide mechanisms such as Schwintek, etc. Our main slide outs in the living area are rack & pinion slide mechanisms which are the most trouble-free in the industry. They are needed because those slide outs support a lot more weight and these slide out mechanisms are tied directly to the frame area to support the weight of the slide out from below. Hope this information helps to clarify things for you.

In regards to the slide out. Cable slides first got a bad reputation when they were used with large heavy slides. This is not the best use for that mechanism. We only use it in smaller shallow lightweight applications and it performs well for us. The cable slide has been quite dependable for many customers and manufacturers when installed properly and used for non-weight bearing applications in a smaller shallow slide. There are literally thousands of them out there in use today without any issues. One service tech’s opinion from only the units he has personally seen is hard to counter the thousands of units that are operating in a trouble-free situation. (Remember he is only seeing those units that have a problem) If any service is needed, the panel inside the bed storage under the bed can be very easily accessed by a service technician. "
If true, why then is schwintek used on the tv, outdoor entertainment slide on the valor? I wonder. As a reference, even the bed slide on my old 5er, was hydraulic. I found those systems easy to adjust as needed.

chrsbrq

@Bozo Are you sure about that? Here's a picture of a 2024 Valor and 2024 Paradigm. Those sure looks like a cable slides.

If they made the change universal across all of their models It makes me feel better that it was a calculated move away from the Schwintek.

1000015718.jpg1000015717.jpg

Bozo

@Bozo Are you sure about that? Here's a picture of a 2024 Valor and 2024 Paradigm. Those sure looks like a cable slides.

If they made the change universal across all of their models It makes me feel better that it was a calculated move away from the Schwintek.

View attachment 1857View attachment 1858
I wasn’t arguing the cable slides being used, just the excuse because of the lighter slides reasoning. My bedroom slide has the cable, but the tv/outdoor entertainment slide is schwintek. I would think the bed slide would be the heavier of the two with the storage, bedding and mattress, but I could be wrong.

chrsbrq

Sorry I thought you were talking about the Bedroom slide on Valor. Just a guess but maybe they use it on the Entertainment system slide because Schwintek allows for near flush-floor when extended but cable will always have a "step up" (I learned that yesterday watching Josh the RV Nerd talking about different slides). I don't think it would look as good if your entertainment slide was a few inches above the ground.

Fishfnatic

I have the exact slide on our 310 rl. Cables have been adjusted twice and top front cable still slack. I guess we are one of the customers who have cable slide problems.Alliance has been working with us so hopefully we get fixed.