• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

2022 Avenue 32rls HOT unused wire behind water heater.

Emills

Has anyone else run across an extra 14-2 wire bunched up behind water heater that is live but not connected to anything? Comes out of underbelly behind furnace. Just cut flush at the end.

Emills

Yes. Water heater has a feed and works. Everything seems to be accounted for? It’s not really long enough to reach anything else. I just crimp nutted and wrapped it for now.

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Have you tested all the plugs in your bedroom? Romex wire is not cheap these days, so I can't imagine it was connected to distribution panel (ie..it is hot with 120v) and then it just does nothing. Check outlet at washer/dryer area?

Emills

Have you tested all the plugs in your bedroom? Romex wire is not cheap these days, so I can't imagine it was connected to distribution panel (ie..it is hot with 120v) and then it just does nothing. Check outlet at washer/dryer area?
Yes. Everything has correct power and functions. Dryer receptacle has 12-2 supply.

Emills

man that is a head scratcher for sure. Last ditch effort (I love a good mystery)....what about the plug in the wet bay?
Wired and working. That and the water heater are about the only thing it could reach. I have a call coming from service and if they can’t explain it I’ll just trace it to wherever it’s fed from and eliminate it. Just not something you want hanging out near the plumbing.

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Wired and working. That and the water heater are about the only thing it could reach. I have a call coming from service and if they can’t explain it I’ll just trace it to wherever it’s fed from and eliminate it. Just not something you want hanging out near the plumbing.
I'd just put in box and wire up an outlet. Ya never know when/why you might want to plug something in there. Like the cord to a DeWalt battery charger that you mount on the pass-through wall.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
@Emills - using a non-contact voltage tester, then switching breakers off one at a time, can you determine what branch circuit controls that wire?

I spoke to our team and this seems likely a production error. That said, could be an error in your favor depending on what circuit it's on and if you want/need another AC receptacle in your bay.

Emills

@Emills - using a non-contact voltage tester, then switching breakers off one at a time, can you determine what branch circuit controls that wire?

I spoke to our team and this seems likely a production error. That said, could be an error in your favor depending on what circuit it's on and if you want/need another AC receptacle in your bay.
Jim, planned on doing that next. Thanks for the suggestion.