• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

12 volt fridge falling out of cabinet

Hotrodjohn

We have a 2023 340RL. The fridge had completely come loose from cabinets and was bouncing along for the ride. 8 screws,4 per side hold the fride inside of the cabinet. All 8 screws were broken off and stuck in the metal sides of the fridge with the rest of the screw stuck in the cabinet. The original install was basically screwed to some 3/4" strips stapled to the back of the face frame of the cabinet. The fridge measures 35.75" but the opening was 36.3125" so there was a lot of "wiggle room" for the fridge to work on the screws rolling down the road. The fridge also sits on a .5" piece of OSB with just some furring strips attached to the perimeter of the cabinet but there is no support where the actual legs on the fridge sit accept for the OSB. The fix- Build a 7" 36" x 25" platform so you can remove the fridge and slide it out of the way. I used 1" MDF to build the temporary base. Then remove the OSB. Install 1" thick by aprox 24" x 7" uprights right under the foot area. Screw to floor and cabinets with pocket screws. Re install OSB this time attaching it to the perimeter supports and the MDF uprights (original was not attached just sitting on perimeter and turning into a banana shape). Now to address the 8 screws into "nothing". Left side gets a 2x4 ripped to 1.125" and left 3.5". Pocket screw to backside of faceframe and screw to the furring holding the cabinets in place. Right side gets 2x4 cut to 3.1875". Pocket screw to the slide out box and screw to backside of faceframe. Drill out broken screws on fridge and open holes to .1875". Re install fridge and use #10 x 2" stainless steel pan head screws to reattach the fridge. Voila Better than new Just have to fix cabinet below where I had to cut it to get fridge legs on the temporary platform :)(y) Couple snap shots (sorry they suck) and now on to remove underbelly (Corplast) to fix broken gate valve :(

Attachments

• IMG_3413.jpeg
    IMG_3413.jpeg
    612.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3414.jpeg
    IMG_3414.jpeg
    384.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3415.jpeg
    IMG_3415.jpeg
    468 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG-3417.jpg
    IMG-3417.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 29

Bozo

I, too, am unimpressed by the refrigerator mounting in my valor. It walks around but hasn’t escaped yet. It is on my to do list though.