• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Winterizing

John G

Active member
I have a 2023 295MK. I have moved to a colder climate and this will be my first time having to winterize my 5th wheel. How many gallons of antifreeze does it take? Do you need to put antifreeze in the gray tanks if you have drained them or should you put water into them and turn on the tank heaters? After draining the hot water heater should you leave the anode rod out until you get ready to use it again or run some antifreeze through the water heater? Do you need to add antifreeze to the p-traps and toilet during the winter so they don’t dry out? If there’s anything else please let me know. I will appreciate any info.
 

Flyer32RLS

Well-known member
I have a 2023 295MK. I have moved to a colder climate and this will be my first time having to winterize my 5th wheel. How many gallons of antifreeze does it take?
How many gallons depends on the unit. My 32TLS took right at 4 gal but I tend to over kill a little.
Do you need to put antifreeze in the gray tanks if you have drained them or should you put water into them and turn on the tank heaters?
I just drain them. Not sure where you are but in N Texas, it gets really cold (10-20) about 2-3 days a year. I just drain them good. From my understanding, what burst pipes is the water freezes and expands breaking the pipes. If you drain the grey and black for that matter there should not be enough water to esxpand and do any damage. I run the pump syphoning the antifreeze fluid through out the RV. I run enough to ensure that the P traps are full plus some. That little extra fluid goes into the grey tanks and prevents water ever water happens to be there from freezing. I do the same to the toilet. Flush good to insure the lines to the toilet are protected and the extra fluid that I allow to run goes into the black tank and covers that. I run all the low point drains til pink comes out and also the shower ports. The 32RLS has 2, wet bay and on the rear.
Pretty much covers everything. Don't have icemaker so no worries there.
After draining the hot water heater should you leave the anode rod out until you get ready to use it again or run some antifreeze through the water heater?
I'd leave it out. No reason to put it back in. I replaced mine every year, that way I know and not have to worry about if it was getting low. They aren't very expensive. I would insure that you have the hot water tank by-pass turn on so that the anti-freeze doesn't get wasted by your open hot water tank being open.
Do you need to add antifreeze to the p-traps and toilet during the winter so they don’t dry out? If there’s anything else please let me know. I will appreciate any info.
Yes, see above. With the process of putting anti-freeze through out your RV pipes, you will run all the taps till pink fluid runs out. I always run more to insure the P traps are protected. Also. I use Plumbers paste. Its a paste that you coat the seal at the opening to the tank to keep it in good shape and not dry out. I always try to keep some fluid in the toilet to help. During winter, just lub it and let the water drain and your a GTG!!

Over all, it is a pretty easy process. Takes about maybe 30 minutes to get all the piping protected.
And to de-winterize, just the reverse. Run fresh water through each outlet till pink stops and them some. There are a few that it is not that important to get all the anti-freeze out such as the outside shower ports. The black tank(s) and the grey tank(s) don't matter either. The fresh water tank I put 20 gal and flush a couple of time using the pump to clean that system out. The fluid is not toxic. After that, it is a good time to sterlize your fresh water tank. I think is was 1oz bleach for every 10 gals. Let sit for a day the flush again.
We don't frink from the fresh tank as we normally are connected to city water so no biggie for us. But if you do, it is a good time to sterlize the tank. We do just as a matter of attemptingh to keep things clean.

hope this helps. i'm sure others will pipe in and offer more help.

Happy Glamping!!
 

Midnight Rider

Prominent Member
I have a 2023 295MK. I have moved to a colder climate and this will be my first time having to winterize my 5th wheel. How many gallons of antifreeze does it take? Do you need to put antifreeze in the gray tanks if you have drained them or should you put water into them and turn on the tank heaters? After draining the hot water heater should you leave the anode rod out until you get ready to use it again or run some antifreeze through the water heater? Do you need to add antifreeze to the p-traps and toilet during the winter so they don’t dry out? If there’s anything else please let me know. I will appreciate any info.
I have the same rig just a 2024 295MK. We love it

-buy a case of antifreeze. I use 4-5. Yes put it in black and grey, all P Traps, through all lines.
-DO NOT PUT ANTIFREEZE IN WATER HEATER. USE WINTERIZE SETTING AND THAT BYPASS WATER HEATER
- Water heater: pull the rod and chuck it, drain tank, flush out tank. Your done.
 

John G

Active member
Thanks to everyone for your answers. I moved from Las Vegas to Sparks Nevada so it gets a “little cooler” here than Las Vegas. I appreciate all the advice. Alliance folks are the best.
 

Flyer32RLS

Well-known member
-DO NOT PUT ANTIFREEZE IN WATER HEATER. USE WINTERIZE SETTING AND THAT BYPASS WATER HEATER
Not sure I get the emphatic statement above. I see the not putting anything in your water heater as it should be drained anyway and activate the bypass for a WH with tank but I run it thru my tankless and during winterizing then drain the tank via pressrue relief valve. Don't see how it can hurt anything.
 

Midnight Rider

Prominent Member
Not sure I get the emphatic statement above. I see the not putting anything in your water heater as it should be drained anyway and activate the bypass for a WH with tank but I run it thru my tankless and during winterizing then drain the tank via pressrue relief valve. Don't see how it can hurt anything.
I have a tank, so I don’t want it in my tank.
🎩
 
Top