• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Water Filters

UFF

Trying to get some filtration as cost effective as possible on our 310RL. Here’s a pic.

Attachments

• IMG_4244.jpeg
    IMG_4244.jpeg
    752.5 KB · Views: 70

UFF

Update, 26 nights in camper. Drank the water out of the sinks, made coffee with it. I have not bought bottled water. Tastes great and no issues.

UFF

Bought everything from Lowe’s. Cheap sediment filter 20 microns and cheap charcoal 5 microns. They come in a two pack.

Grassjohn

I’m using a similar setup from Lowe’s, but mounted it behind the water panel. I’m running a 5-micron sediment filter into a 1-micron charcoal filter. I have pressure gauges at the regulator (hose bib) and after the filters so I can monitor pressure drop when the filters start to clog. I set my regulator to 45 PSI and as long as the campground can provide it, there’s no appreciable drop in flow or pressure. We also drink from the faucet.

UFF

Wow thanks for sharing. A picture of your setup would be great. Your set up is the way I’m wanting to go, just wanted to be sure it would work properly.

Grassjohn

Okay, just got all set up and here’s what I did. I will eventually clean up the factory plumbing and route mine with more clearance for the filter canisters. I did leave a filter bypass loop in the system, primarily for winterizing.

Oh and throw away the plastic canister wrenches and get the leather strap one and the same a half at Lowes. Ask me how I know…

Attachments

• IMG_7563.jpeg
    IMG_7563.jpeg
    459.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7561.jpeg
    IMG_7561.jpeg
    409.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_7560.jpeg
    IMG_7560.jpeg
    476.8 KB · Views: 46

BryanValRox

I really like the concept of on board filtration, taking the lead from some of you, I was able to find a convenient spot behind the basement panels to install the Clear Source System. Installed shut off valves for filter changes and found a spot that allows for no spill change outs! Plumbing was very easy using standard PEX fitting and tools.

Attachments

• E89ECCEF-D593-42FF-B9EC-D21E28884B06.jpeg
    E89ECCEF-D593-42FF-B9EC-D21E28884B06.jpeg
    743.9 KB · Views: 34

tjbristle

Here is my version. I liked having the filters behind the panel where they are out of the way and warmer in my cold weather camping. (Forgive the overkill on the heated hose. I was staying in temperatures solid in the single digits to teens for a couple weeks and didn't want to take a chance). So back to the triple filtration. I put a piece of aluminum angle iron up top (may add a second piece on the front to make it more solid. Then ran pex to the front. There is a shutoff valve on my pex going to the filters. The front has quick has 3 quick connects so it can all be taken down no harm no foul. The water comes into the rig as usual and connects via a 90 degree and quick connect to the pex. On the return side I, again put quick connects, but also 2 shut offs in case I wanted to run the water to either port. That way I never have to disconnect and reconnect to the other port. Thoughts? Other then the factory mess in the back that all of this could have been done to without modifications? By the way, anyone else have issues with those connections in the back of the factory panel coming loose and leaking??? Triple Filter 2.jpgTriple filter 1.jpg

Attachments

• Triple Filter 3.jpg
    Triple Filter 3.jpg
    593.3 KB · Views: 15

BryanValRox

Here is my version. I liked having the filters behind the panel where they are out of the way and warmer in my cold weather camping. (Forgive the overkill on the heated hose. I was staying in temperatures solid in the single digits to teens for a couple weeks and didn't want to take a chance). So back to the triple filtration. I put a piece of aluminum angle iron up top (may add a second piece on the front to make it more solid. Then ran pex to the front. There is a shutoff valve on my pex going to the filters. The front has quick has 3 quick connects so it can all be taken down no harm no foul. The water comes into the rig as usual and connects via a 90 degree and quick connect to the pex. On the return side I, again put quick connects, but also 2 shut offs in case I wanted to run the water to either port. That way I never have to disconnect and reconnect to the other port. Thoughts? Other then the factory mess in the back that all of this could have been done to without modifications? By the way, anyone else have issues with those connections in the back of the factory panel coming loose and leaking??? View attachment 1789View attachment 1788
Hi there, you asked for thoughts so respectfully, here are a couple to think about.
I see you installed a shut off on your fresh feed to the Black Tank Rinse connection, I would highly suggest that you either rethink that connection or at very least install a back flow preventer between the panel connection and the shut off valve. With only the shut off, you risk contamination under certain circumstances when you open the valve.

It would also be my humble opinion that you added more complexity to the system then is needed.

On my system, I didn’t tie into the Black Tank Rinse, but kept all(2) of my connections to and from the filter on the back side of the panel. Originally the fresh feed comes thru the panel and routes directly into the panel manifold. So I just removed that short jumper connection and ran PEX from the panel feed to the filter and PEX from the Filter outlet back to the manifold inlet.
I did include shut off valves, for filter change outs if needed while hooked up.
Also, the front of the panel and tank pulls, remain unobstructed.
Respectfully, I am concerned about your safety and would highly suggest you either disconnect the Black Tank Rinse or get a Back Flow preventer installed. I see no need to triple filter the water for the tank rinse and would suspect that your flow and pressure could be reduce by the additional connections and quick connects reducing the effectiveness of the tank shower head.
Best regards,
Bryan

tjbristle

Thank you for your direct and detailed response. Points well taken. I will take into consideration.
On a side note. You didn’t respond about the factory connections question. I assume you have not had that issue? I have also had leaks under the kitchen sink and bathroom sink. All due to loose connections.

BryanValRox

Thank you for your direct and detailed response. Points well taken. I will take into consideration.
On a side note. You didn’t respond about the factory connections question. I assume you have not had that issue? I have also had leaks under the kitchen sink and bathroom sink. All due to loose connections.
You are very welcome! Sorry I missed commenting on the rear panel connections. I haven’t experienced any leaks there at this point with our driveway camping! I had to wait 6 months for my truck to come in, so we could only driveway camp, so the 310 RL has only traveled from the factory to the dealer, and to our driveway. I will certainly keep an eye on that area as we start traveling.

UFF

Thanks for sharing your system. I too have had one leak on the panel and one leak on the water pump. Both easy fixes. I always check every time I hook it up to water and daily there after. I also always shut off my water if I leave my site. Don’t want to come back to a surprise. I figured they gave me a door so I use it. What micron filters are you using.

tjbristle

Hi UFF. I installed the filter with a few things in mind (in no specific order). #1 Out of the way installation, #2 can be removed without cutting into existing system, #3 quick connects for easy removal, #4 Shutoff valves for quick ability to divert. I took Bryan's suggestion and did put a check valve on the black tank side (behind the panel). I also put a pressure gauge on just to make sure leaks weren't due to excessive pressure in the campground.
I bought this 3 filter system (probably overkill but I am living in camper right now). It has a PP Sediment filter, GAC filter (for odor, chlorine, spore, lead, & microorganisms, & a CTO filter (similar purpose as the GAC filter.) It seems to work very well on the system. I didnt notice any change in pressure until I put the pressure gauge on.

UFF

Sounds well thought out. I’m pulling out my 310rl today to prep for the year and put her into service. Moving my water filter to the inside is on my project list.