• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Towing Vehicle Help - Ram Diesel 2500 vs 3500?

Are there any Ram Diesel 2500's out there towing an Avenue 30RLS or even 32RLS? Payload is just under 2k on the 2500 with the Cummins (4X4 Laramie trim). Would love to hear your feedback on towing experience and the so called "wiggle" on the 2500 vs 3500 (as the 3500's have leaf springs and the 2500 does not). I would prefer the drive quality of the 2500, but still trying to understand the wide varying opinions/interpretations on payload/towing capacity. Lastly, I am in California and hear that the 3500 has extra fees vs the 2500...anyone know about this?

Steve

Been towing my 32rls with 2500 diesel, no problems, I installed air bags on truck to eliminate the sag when hooked up to 5th wheel, only need to put like 15lbs in bags, works out great

Great thank you Steve! I officially took delivery of my Ram 2500 Diesel this week with rear factory air suspension, and your response confirms making the right decision! I am going to be purchasing some Thuren suspension and tracking bar upgrades (it will take 8 months to build/receive) to improve the ride quality, have a bit more off-road ability (but I am not raising the truck), and reduce greatly the "waggle" concern. I am also strongly considering the Reese Gooseneck Hitch system. Further, I found a 50 gallon fuel tank option for the Ram short bed (by Titan Fuel Tanks). A new twist is we really like the new Avenue 26RD, so now torn between the 30RLS and the 26RD...sorting through the pros and cons of the RV world ;-)!

JWalker

The Ram 2500 is a tricky set up. You can get them in all sort of payload configurations. I stopped at my Ram dealer a few weeks to look at a new 2500 that just arrived. Beautiful truck. Almost exactly what I wanted. But…only a 1900 payload. That couldn’t even handle the pin weight of our 30RLS. Let alone passengers, gear, aux. fuel etc.
Also, the 2500 is only available with the lower powered Cummins with the 68RFE trans. The HO and Aisin is only available in the 3500. But either Cummins has more than enough grunt to handle the weight of an Avenue.

Good luck with your choice of trailers. We love our 30RLS.

Donzi98

Are there any Ram Diesel 2500's out there towing an Avenue 30RLS or even 32RLS? Payload is just under 2k on the 2500 with the Cummins (4X4 Laramie trim). Would love to hear your feedback on towing experience and the so called "wiggle" on the 2500 vs 3500 (as the 3500's have leaf springs and the 2500 does not). I would prefer the drive quality of the 2500, but still trying to understand the wide varying opinions/interpretations on payload/towing capacity. Lastly, I am in California and hear that the 3500 has extra fees vs the 2500...anyone know about this?
New to the forum. We just bought a 2023 32RLS. Have not taken delivery yet. I own a 2018 Ram Laramie 4 X 4 with a Cummins. My payload is stated as 2350 Lbs. the Alliance has a pin weight of 2000 lbs. Will I need air bags? I know hitch weight fuel etc all factor into this But I really don‘t want to buy them.

darrell

@Donzi98 - You will be over your weight rating of your truck. Airbags do not increase payload, they really just help keep your truck level and might stiffen the suspension a little. Everything you have added to the truck since it was built comes off your payload. Plus, you will likely find your pin weight is over 2350# by the time all is loaded for camping. But 150# fifth wheel hitch, you have 200# payload available. Propane tanks, lose another 50#, battery, another 20#, food, clothes, tools, whatever, you are over weight based on your truck specs. But it is still your decision to tow with it of course.

Donzi98

@Donzi98 - You will be over your weight rating of your truck. Airbags do not increase payload, they really just help keep your truck level and might stiffen the suspension a little. Everything you have added to the truck since it was built comes off your payload. Plus, you will likely find your pin weight is over 2350# by the time all is loaded for camping. But 150# fifth wheel hitch, you have 200# payload available. Propane tanks, lose another 50#, battery, another 20#, food, clothes, tools, whatever, you are over weight based on your truck specs. But it is still your decision to tow with it of course.
Thanks Darrell. I have done the math and that is why we bought the 32RLS instead of many heavier trailers. While we were camping recently (2 months), I observed many, many 2500 or 3/4 ton trucks pulling heavier trailers. Are there that many guys overweight? Some quite a bit actually I have concluded. I don’t want to be unsafe so I will be looking to upgrade the suspension.

darrell

Many people towing fifth wheels are likely overweight (based on the payload and rear axle weight rating) on 3/4 ton trucks, especially on diesels as they are heavier and eat into the payload pretty significantly on a 3/4 ton. Some people argue that a 3/4 and a 1 ton SRW are mostly the same truck with the same frame, brakes, suspension, etc.. As you know, the Ram 3/4 ton uses coil springs vs the heavier leaf springs (with overload) on the 1 ton.
Bottom line, you are going to be fine with a 1 ton, you will be overweight with a 3/4 ton. You may be better with a 1 ton DRW, but it is not necessary for your trailer imo. For me, given both my last trailer and current one would be overweight on a SRW, I really like the stability the DRW provides. But my current pin weight is nearly 5000# when loaded for camping, so I don't have an option for any SRW really anyway.

Donzi98

We took delivery of our 32RLS. We have pulled it on several occasions. The truck is level while hooked up. It pulls great with no wiggle noted. Granted when we moved from our old trailer to our new one we got rid of many items that we never used. I know were are bumping the max Ram 2500 limit.

Mike in North Wales

You should weigh the rig, each axle and total. You may find that you are overweight for your tires. Or just on one axle, most likely the rear axle on the truck due to pin weight. Overloaded tires run hot, then blow. Tires are an easy fix, but new tires won't increase your capacity over what's on the door sticker. Maybe you just need to move some things around in the coach.

We had our rig weighed at the National Rally. It was an eye-opening experience. We have a 310RL and a Ram 3500/Cummins. We were actually overweight on the truck rear axle by 250lbs, and the trailer was 700lbs over. It went on a diet when we got home!

Bozo

I towed my 16k 5th wheel for a year or two with my 2500 ram diesel, yes it was over payload. I upgraded tires and added bags to compensate until I upgraded to my 3500 dually knowing I would upgrade accommodations. The move to the dually was money well spent. No worries about truck ”being barely enough”. In fact, the dealer I bought the toy hauler from, 1st question was , “what’s your toy vehicle” make model year, etc.” Kudos for that. Buy the truck for the trailer or the trailer for the truck.