• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Tow Vehicle - Hitches

Neil & Debbie

We're "almost" new owners of a Paradigm 385. Almost because the ink is not yet dry on the contract but will be tomorrow. A few months ago we purchased a 2021 RAM 3500 HO DRW Megacab short bed. The bed is equipped with factory pucks. I've been reading about hitches and short bed trucks. I've had an RV dealer tell me that I don't need a slider and that a regular hitch will work just fine. I'm new to towing a 5th wheel and would prefer to purchase one hitch that will last for many years. I like what I see in the B&W Companion and would be interested in anyone's thoughts on the slider vs fixed and cab clearance.

This doesn’t directly answer your question but I have the same truck and switched the pin box on my Valor to a Gen Y goose box and can handle most any situation

Upvote 0

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
@Neil & Debbie - I haven't had a short bed before but my sense is that with the standard pinbox on the Paradigm combined with the shortbox truck, the slider hitch is probably the smart play. I'm not familiar with any brand of slider hitch but I suggest you consider the automatic models that will slide back when needed. I've heard many stories over the years from owners who kept theirs locked until they felt they needed it to slide - only to smack the back of their truck cab and knock out the window and/or crunch the cab corner :(

That all said, we don't seem to have enough users here to get much traction on your post. Thank you @darrenlife for relaying what you've done. Neil - I suggest you toss this out on Facebook if you're a user. Especially the Alliance RV Owners Group page.

Upvote 0

sjankevicius

I have a 310 and a short bed Ford with the B&W slider. There have been a couple of times that I didn't slide it back because I thought I could back it up without it and had to reposition and slide the hitch back so I wouldn't touch the back window. Not sure how the geometry lines up on the Ram but I figured it was cheap insurance.

Upvote 0
We have a 2015 Ram 2500 crew cab with 6' bed, currently pull a 2017 KZ Durango 1500 255RKT (waiting on our Avenue 30RLS) and use an Anderson Hitch. have had no issues with turn radius, or coming in contact with the cab, we plan on keeping our Anderson for the new rig as well. THE BIG PLUS of the Anderson is it only weighs 35lbs, so cuts into our payload rating very little, can have it in or out by myself in about 7.23 seconds. You will only need the center ball in your new truck to connect too. Z When you remove the hitch your bed is perfectly clear of all hitch apparatus. That is our 2cents worth, let us know what you decide!

Upvote 0

CDN

Hello Neil and Debbie,

I don't own a Alliance but tow a Landmark with a 350 SRW 6.75ft short box. I use a Reese sidewinder and standard Brinkley head Reese hitch I have use with 3 fifth wheels. I used to tow a 40 Bighorn same truck and the Reese sidewinder. I also towed with a 5.5 ft Reese revolution on the Rockwood Fifth Wheel. All where able to turn 90 Degrees and not hit the cab. A slider takes a lot of room and Sidewinder is approved by the frame manufacturers as well.

All the best and Welcome to the Alliance Family .

Upvote 0
I kind of replied on FB but I need to add a bit more.

We've been using the PullRIte SuperGlide since we got our first 5th wheel in 2010. We've had a SuperGlide 4100 (16,000 lb), a 4400 (20,000/18,000 lb), and now are using a 4500 (24,000 lb) in our 2022 GMC 3500HD. We've been pleased with the hitch and how it works. I changed hitches for weight capacity and with the 2022 GMC, for the integrated puck system.
I can speak to how the puck system integrates and how it tows as I installed the hitch and we've now got about 1,000 miles into the maiden voyage of the Silver Cloud (2022 GMC) and The Shack (2021 Paradigm 365RD). It hooks up good, feels solid, and has been fairly easy to unhook when needed. I did have to adjust the puck tonight & that took about 10 minutes. The hitch was worth getting.

Your results may vary but I'll keep using the SuperGlide.

Upvote 0

mixerman10

I have shortbed Megacab, no puck system. I would definitely get a slider. I hadn't used mine for a couple years because my last trailer had beveled front cap, first time leaving my driveway with 310rl I got the rear window and small dent in cab. Yes it was a very tight turn and I backed up to near 90*. Now I slide it back before I hookup at home.

Upvote 0

darrell

We're "almost" new owners of a Paradigm 385. Almost because the ink is not yet dry on the contract but will be tomorrow. A few months ago we purchased a 2021 RAM 3500 HO DRW Megacab short bed. The bed is equipped with factory pucks. I've been reading about hitches and short bed trucks. I've had an RV dealer tell me that I don't need a slider and that a regular hitch will work just fine. I'm new to towing a 5th wheel and would prefer to purchase one hitch that will last for many years. I like what I see in the B&W Companion and would be interested in anyone's thoughts on the slider vs fixed and cab clearance.
I bought the Pullrite Superglide 2315 for my 390MP with the same truck. Works great. I looked hard at switching to a goose neck box, but I was too concerned about the short bed. I have had no regrets on my choice. I bought an electric hoist and mounted in my garage to help manage getting the hitch in and out of my truck and it has worked great.

Upvote 0

Guidotheguide

Just an FYI. I know this is an older post, but I thought I'd throw this out there. The PullRite SuperGlide is an auto slider, you don't have to get out and slide it each time, it does it all by itself... WooHoo!!!

Upvote 0

Mike in North Wales

The 24k PullRite Superglide has 4 more inches of travel than the rest of the Superglide line, per the people in customer service. They recommend the 24k model for RAMs because the bed is a bit shorter than the rest. The older Megacab RAM beds are even shorter than a standard RAM. I'm not sure if that has changed.

I know the OP was from '21, but more info may help someone else just starting to look.

Edit for clarity- per the people in PullRite customer service, not Alliance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0