• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Tow vehicle for 37V13

Shanty

So I have been doing a lot of reading here about what truck everyone is using to pull with. So my question is, we are looking at the 37v13 and I am not wanting a dually if I can get by with a single wheel 1 ton. I understand the dually is better/best when you have large units but I would also need to use this truck for other duties as well and a single wheel would fit that bill better for me. Thoughts? Thanks!

darrell

Going strictly on ratings, I think you will be very hard pressed to get a SRW with enough payload and RAWR to support a fully loaded 37v13, but it is possible there is something out there. Perhaps look (and it kills me to say this lol) at a Ford gasser SRW as an option to see if you can get one spec'd out to meet the requirements. Gas will save you some payload. If you are towing mostly flat lands without wind and just need the space but will not be hauling a heavy toy, you might be fine in a SRW.

Shanty

Yeah, I already ruled out gas engines. I was looking at the Chevy’s and thought it would be ok. Specs on the unit grosses at 16,950 and truck is 21,300 capacity. the truck GCWR is 29,700 and trailer pin weight is 3,200. So is that good? These number come directly off the websites so there is that.

darrell

The 3200# pin weight is likely based on dry weight. If so, the actual pin weight is probably close to 4000#. I would be pulling with a dually, but it is because I really like the extra stability it provides. It is my driver, but I don't drive it daily. I am in a medium sized city in the midwest, and it doesn't give me any issues getting around or parking. I generally park a little further back and back into the spot, but I need the exercise anyway lol.

Don't use the numbers off the website unless you are putting your actual VIN to see real specs. Every truck will be different. Look at the payload sticker on the door frame and it will tell you what your payload rating is. Take the weight of the hitch, any extra passengers and gear, and anything you or the dealer add to the truck since it was built, and the pin weight of the trailer off that number. If you are still positive, you are probably good, if you are negative you are overloaded.

I really don't think you will find many SRW that will take a 4000# and people and gear honestly. I would not want to go much higher than that in my own truck and it is a dually. At the end of the day, it is your call, though.

With all trucks, don't go off manufacture site, but look at the stickers on the door for the correct numbers. GM has been putting a silver/grey sticker with actual numbers (so no math involved, they did it for ya). If you're concerned about the daily ride of a DRW, you could always add Sulastic Shackles, to help it ride smooth when unloaded. We put them on ours, and it's closer to a half ton ride than a one ton dually ride.