• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Soft start on 3 A/C

Do the 3 AC units have soft starts already installed? I originally thought so but when reading specs do not see it mentioned.

Also, if anyone has installed soft starts, did u install on all 3 units?

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nope....you'll need to do that yourself. First one will take you about 25 mins while learning the process...then the next two will take about 10 mins each.

MicroAir is ~$340 each. I went with the Spartan Softstart for $180 on our 340RL. They work great!

I was afraid of that. I installed softstarts on my prevoius 2AC’s on last camper. Thanks for prompt response! My friend Mike (310RL). installed on his too.

BryanValRox

Hi folks, while I understand the concept of the soft starts, are you sure that you actually need them?
Maybe, when hooked to 30 amp service to get them all started? ( Might not even be able to run all three at this level) But as I recall we had all three a/c’s running during PDI at the dealer(sure this was 50 amp).
I have had all three running via our genset in the driveway. In my humble opinion, I would think the odds of them all hitting the electrical system at the same time would be slim.

Not saying that they don’t serve a purpose, they certain do! Just wondering if you have proven out the need to invest the money for them.

Obviously, I don’t have the fully context of your situation, so it would be up to you to validate your need.

My suggestion, get some real world experience with their operation and invest if you need to and save some money if you find your can operate without them.

Feels like this comes down to personal preference!

Best regards!

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Hi folks, while I understand the concept of the soft starts, are you sure that you actually need them? ....(snipped)
If you're staying at 50 amp locations, then most likely not needed.

I have 3 of them on our 340RL, so we can power up all 3 AC's while on 30 amp service, using the Victron 3000w inverter to step up the power needed for this to work. I can also run one AC off our inverter as well, which we do for a few hours to cool the bedroom off while boondocking. With 2000w watts of solar and 810 amp hours (3x270) of lithium batteries, we are very comfortable in very remote locations.

While this image was our prior Heartland Bighorn, you can see how we like to camp. I think we stayed 10 days at this location.

1709768823787.png

Hi folks, while I understand the concept of the soft starts, are you sure that you actually need them?
Maybe, when hooked to 30 amp service to get them all started? ( Might not even be able to run all three at this level) But as I recall we had all three a/c’s running during PDI at the dealer(sure this was 50 amp).
I have had all three running via our genset in the driveway. In my humble opinion, I would think the odds of them all hitting the electrical system at the same time would be slim.

Not saying that they don’t serve a purpose, they certain do! Just wondering if you have proven out the need to invest the money for them.

Obviously, I don’t have the fully context of your situation, so it would be up to you to validate your need.

My suggestion, get some real world experience with their operation and invest if you need to and save some money if you find your can operate without them.

Best regards!
Thanks for response and apologies for my late reply. I think based on your post and the next post I’ll “wait and see!” Thanks.

Ben and Kathy

Best regards!

Thanks for response and apologies for my late reply. I think based on your post and the next post I’ll “wait and see!” Thanks.
When we are dialed in for 30amp service (most state camp grounds in our area) my personal preference is to not have to reset our Victron Multiplus II inverter (power boost capability, draws power from the batteries to handle a surge above what is coming from shore power, but that has a limit) or the 30amp breaker (before the Multiplus II was installed) and then all of the clocks when the microwave and coffee pot are running and the 2nd AC unit kicks in. Snick, darkness, silence. o_O

After a few of those power out incidents we purchased Coleman soft start modules ($220 each at the time, super easy, plug and go install) for the three Coleman Mach Q AC units on our 385 and haven't looked back, no more AC overload events... :)

Not to mention getting rid of the thump when the AC starts, the peace of mind that I am extending the life of each of the three, $900ish + labor to replace, AC units, reducing electricity consumption, oh and being able to run with multiple AC while on the generator (and the coffee pot, and the microwave, etc.)