• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Slider Hitch in Short Box

Donzi98

Hi All, We have a new 2023 Alliance Avenue and am pulling it with a 2018 2500 Ram diesel. I know I am pushing the weight limits of the truck but that is another discussion. I bought an 18K Patriot B&W Slider hitch. It does look like I can pull with the hitch in the maneuvering position. I have 2 questions: Should I adjust the hitch so the coupler is higher? And, has anyone bought a 5th wheel tailgate such as a Stromburg-Carlson? If you have, do you recommend one?

Thank you in advance for any advice and Help.

David Farrington

Grassjohn

Hi,
The maneuvering position (slid backwards) is strictly for maneuvering, as it transfers weight behind the rear wheels, lightening the front end of the truck.

You want the height of the hitch to have 6 inches or so of clearance between the truck bed rails and the camper, while trying to keep the trailer level. (It’s a challenge especially with taller truck beds, like the 4x4 Ram 2500)

A good camper dealer should have explained do’s and don’ts of the hitch and properly adjusted the hitch and/or camper as part of the sale.

The fifth wheel tailgate is a personal choice - I keep my fifth wheel hitch under a folding hard cover and stock locking tailgate.

Donzi98

Hi Grassjohn,

Thank you for the info. I also have a tri-fold hardcover installed. I was asking my questions due to a bonehead move on my part. We were pulling forward at slow speed and left a rock road surface to make a tight turn. I ended up impacting the trailer and the truck. I believe that it was due more to the difference in height between the road and the yard ( not much but enough!) My fault. So anyway, I am now double-checking clearances. I am going to check the box and trailer clearances including the hitch height. At this time I cannot use the maneuvering position on my hitch due to the standard tailgate. With the aftermarket hitch, I think I could.

Have you ever priced a power back window for a Ram? Nuts.

Thanks again, Dave

Grassjohn

As usual with me, I have straight A’s from the school of hard knocks. Both cab corners on my Ram 3500 short bed are dented, but the window is intact and not leaking. I’ll stop traffic now to slide my hitch; another lesson learned.

Alliance did me a solid favor by checking the front cap for damage and replacing the decal at the 2021 Rally.

I am eyeballing the 20k Reese Sidewinder as a better solution, but it’s hard to justify because it’s not compatible with my current model of Mopar (Curt manufactured) hitch, so I’d have to buy both.