• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Sanitize water system

We are getting a smells in the water system. I've tried the bleach at 1/4 cup per 16 gallons of water without much luck. I put approximately 1.5 cups into the system and let it set for a few days before draining and refilling with fresh water. 1.5 cups bleach to 98 gallons of water does seem right. Anyone experiencing the fresh water smells and how to clean the system?

Whitewolf

I believe your ratio is correct. After filling the tank with the solution, did you turn on each faucet until you smelled bleach? Another thought is maybe it's time to change the anode rod?

I did run each faucet until I thought I smelled bleach but it was so light that is hard to tell. I changed the anode rod with a magnesium one. Is there a different anode rod material that I should be using?

Whitewolf

Hmmm....not that I know of. Thinking about that, if the rod was bad, I think only the hot would smell. When I was checking your ratio, the article I was reading said it may take several attempts at sanitizing. Sorry, that's all I got.