• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

RV winter storage in cold weather states

MikeLindaTarach

New to having a 5th wheel. The battery was exposed a lot more to the elements in my travel trailer so I removed it every winter. Wondering if you're in a cold weather state (OH, MI, etc) what do you do with your batteries over the winter? Pull them or disconnect the negative cable and leave them in the front storage?
Thanks!

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Todays batteries are not like the ones from years ago. If you have Lithium, you can simply charge to ~85% and then disconnect the main negative cable....that is it. If you have solar, disconnect the incoming line from your controller and cap it off. If you feel the need to take them inside (which you don't need to) then do so. I have 3x270 amp hour Battle born batteries and I just winterized them 5 days ago by doing what I said above. In my part of Central Oregon we can get down to single digit temps for a week or so at a time, while staying below 32 the entire time.

MikeLindaTarach

Todays batteries are not like the ones from years ago. If you have Lithium, you can simply charge to ~85% and then disconnect the main negative cable....that is it. If you have solar, disconnect the incoming line from your controller and cap it off. If you feel the need to take them inside (which you don't need to) then do so. I have 3x270 amp hour Battle born batteries and I just winterized them 5 days ago by doing what I said above. In my part of Central Oregon we can get down to single digit temps for a week or so at a time, while staying below 32 the entire time.
Hi Jim - no solar and 2 regular batteries. At the moment, batteries are fully charged and negative cable disconnected.

CornCrib

Jim:
Can you speak to the Battleborn BMS? Should I not trust that it will function as designed and not allow a charge below low temp? I was planning to leave it be, thinking: BMS kicks in to shut off charging when below designed temp, then charging resumes once temp exceeds low temp threshold. Is my thinking wrong?

I was hoping to leave my internet, security cam and VRM running at all times to monitor status of rig. (current draw is about 2.5% battery capacity per day).

Also considering adding heated pads on the battery with temp monitoring connected to the Cerbo, to kick the pads on and off as needed.

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Jim:
Can you speak to the Battleborn BMS? Should I not trust that it will function as designed and not allow a charge below low temp? I was planning to leave it be, thinking: BMS kicks in to shut off charging when below designed temp, then charging resumes once temp exceeds low temp threshold. Is my thinking wrong?

I was hoping to leave my internet, security cam and VRM running at all times to monitor status of rig. (current draw is about 2.5% battery capacity per day).

Also considering adding heated pads on the battery with temp monitoring connected to the Cerbo, to kick the pads on and off as needed.

The BB BMS does exactly what it should in low temps. I think you're asking, because I still disconnected the power...right? I do this every Winter, to avoid unnessacary charge cycles. Our RV is parked in our pole barn for the Winter and I see no need to power up the batteries every couple of days to simply put in aa few amps.

In your case you are still using the RV in low temps. I woud have no problem trusting the BMS to shut off the charge to the batteries when temps fall below 32. The batteries will still provide power...WAY below 32 degrees. I added a video I did on this exact topic...hope it helps.

CornCrib

Thanks Jim... very helpful. I had not taken into consideration that you have yours stored, covered. While stored, mine will be in full sun, with solar charge available ... within the temp thresholds. I'm gonna let it ride as I stated above, and see how it does.

Here in central Indiana, we can go a few days where it never gets above freezing ... but not more than a week or so. At at about a 30AH draw per day, and a 540AH battery bank, I figure I should be able to leave my hotspot, Blink cameras and VRM system on continuously, so I can monitor from home (unit is stored about 20 miles away). If not, it will be a learning opportunity. I just wanted to make sure I'm not risking damaging my batteries.

My camper is currently at the dealer getting some last of warranty work done. It's been nice to monitor when they are bringing it in and out of the bay to work on.

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
My camper is currently at the dealer getting some last of warranty work done. It's been nice to monitor when they are bringing it in and out of the bay to work on.

You might ask if they can add heating pads (one made for Lithium batteries) to you battery bank. Then you'll have no issues.

CornCrib

You might ask if they can add heating pads (one made for Lithium batteries) to you battery bank. Then you'll have no issues.
I picked some up at Amazon. Haven't installed them yet, but my plan is to connect them to the Cerbo and have them kick off and on at set temps. This will be a good project for Florida in January, and a good way to learn some of the additional capabilities of the Cerbo. I think my plan above will work until then. I really don't plan on ever camping in below freezing temps ... at least not for very long (maybe a night or two if caught off guard). This will be needed for storage near home only, while the rest of the camper is winterized.

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I picked some up at Amazon. Haven't installed them yet, but my plan is to connect them to the Cerbo and have them kick off and on at set temps. This will be a good project for Florida in January, and a good way to learn some of the additional capabilities of the Cerbo. I think my plan above will work until then. I really don't plan on ever camping in below freezing temps ... at least not for very long (maybe a night or two if caught off guard). This will be needed for storage near home only, while the rest of the camper is winterized.
That sounds like a great plan! Would like to see your Cerbo intergration. Mine is already full of extras, but more is always better...right?

1700175836035.png

Mazboy

if your trailer is stored i'd just take the batteries and put them in a warm garage or basement.

CornCrib

I bought a heated GC3 during Battleborn's Black Friday sale. In my now 3 unit config, I plan on putting the heated one in the middle and a heat pad (Amazon linked above) on the outside of battery 1 and 2. Hoping this sandwich will work sufficiently to keep the batteries above low temp in very cold weather.