• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Progressive Industries 50 Amp Hardwired RV Electrical Management System Surge Protector With Integrated Display (1 MIN), EMS-LCHW50

Ed&Syl

Has anyone used the Progressive Industries EMS? Am considering buying one of those - less than $300 on Amazon. Definitely want to protect my Paradigm and electrical system. Would appreciate any insight.

Todd80

I've always used Southwire surge guard products, but looks like Progressive Industries makes good surge protectors too. Surge protection is a must for RV's.

Whitewolf

If you're talking about the EMS-HW50C, I have that unit in our Montana HC. It saved our bacon once at a campground that had a low voltage problem on one of the 50a legs. It started shutting the HC down at 108v if I remember right. Liked it so much I'm taking all my tools with me to install a new one in the 340 when we pick it up in the first week of March. Some people mount the remote display in the basement(which is where I first had it installed). Later I moved it to a wall in the coach. Important to note - there is a 136 sec delay when you plug in to shore power. The unit is checking power coming in. If it doesn't like something, you'll get an error code and it won't let power thru to the coach.

Are these types of RV surge protectors recommended for any/all instances of hooking up to AC power or just at those traveling and plugging up at campgrounds? Our property is part of the local grid and came with an RV pad that has septic, water, and a small breaker panel that feeds off the main panel about 50 yards up the drive. This smaller panel has a 50 and 30 amp sockets and a few regular 110 V sockets. We do have a generac system wired into the main panel.

Whitewolf

I'm going to say yes to a surge protector, no matter the situation. It's a pretty cheap investment in the protection of your RV and the appliances in it. Here at our house, we loose power and have brown outs anytime of the year. Low voltage can happen anywhere. Even though you're stationary, I'd suggest a hard wired one. Out of site, out of mind.

I'm going to say yes to a surge protector, no matter the situation. It's a pretty cheap investment in the protection of your RV and the appliances in it. Here at our house, we loose power and have brown outs anytime of the year. Low voltage can happen anywhere. Even though you're stationary, I'd suggest a hard wired one. Out of site, out of mind.
Sounds good. I'll start looking. Thanks.

After looking at several online sources on these it seems installing one of these hardwired models doesn't seem too difficult. From what I saw the owners were installing the unit between the transfer switch and the RV breaker panel. Am I correct in that? Has anyone here installed one in a Paradigm model?

HelotesAg

I went back and forth on portable or hardwired. We ended up with the Portable Power WatchDog and I chose the portable version because I bought it before we received the trailer and I wanted to have it for the first time I plugged it in at my barn. Also, since I didn't have the trailer yet, I didn't know how difficult it would be to find and tap into the existing electrical wiring. Finally, I picked the WatchDog over others because it has a Bluetooth app that alerts me via my phone if there is an issue (none yet, knock on wood!). Like Whitewolf says above, I use it everywhere I plug in regardless.

Whitewolf

Sorry, but I'm not exactly what you mean by 'transfer switch'. The best place to wire these in, is somewhere between the power plug on the RV and the power converter, which is the first thing the power touches.

Putting it here is what saves your bacon if there's a problem, It's the same as using a portable one. With portable, it's pedestal-portable-rv. With hard wired, it's pedestal-to and thru the plug-hard wired-rv. With the portable one my problems were 1. It's heavy. At some campgrounds the weight of the surge protector would want to pull the plug out of the pedestal. 2. It's a big investment, you'll want to cable lock it to the pedestal. And 3. The cords leading into and from the surge protector is long. Some pedestals we ran into were low to the ground, meaning the surge protecter was laying on the ground. Not exactly ideal.

I have not installed one on a Paradigm. Yet. I do have a new one in the pile of stuff we are taking with us for me to install after we pick up our 340. I'm going to say the best place is behind the basement panel that's on the entry door side of the rv. The other side (behind the Nautilus panel) is full of nautilus things. Not exactly an ideal place to put high voltage things.

Installation is simpler than it sounds. You interrupt(cut) the power line, trim back and bare the wires the specified amount(being careful to NOT cut the wires when removing the shield) and wire it up as per directions.

Focker

Sorry, but I'm not exactly what you mean by 'transfer switch'. The best place to wire these in, is somewhere between the power plug on the RV and the power converter, which is the first thing the power touches.
Generally if there is a generator built into an RV the power flow goes from the pedestal to a transfer switch, then next it goes to a converter.

I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in here. I believe the instructions tell you to have a Licensed Electrician install the hardwired device. ( I think to cover their backside if they want to dismiss the claim) Also I think the southwire unit says not to mount flat on the floor. I have had the Progressive unit in our last unit and have been very pleased. Thinking of going to southwire in our new unit.

dsilvami

I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in here. I believe the instructions tell you to have a Licensed Electrician install the hardwired device. ( I think to cover their backside if they want to dismiss the claim) Also I think the southwire unit says not to mount flat on the floor. I have had the Progressive unit in our last unit and have been very pleased. Thinking of going to southwire in our new unit.
Super easy to install!

Tom S

I had the 50 Amp Watch dog plug in and really like the Bluetooth connectivity. I still use the Watch dog to check the electrical at the post when we pull into a site. I install the hardwire 50 amp Progressives unit because i did not have a good place to mount the Watch dog hard wire where i would be able to see the front of the unit. Progressive has a remote wire display which is easy to locate and the unit can be mounted out of site. That said i like the Watch dog unit better. For the install of the Progressives unit needed to call to clarify instruction in the manual that were no longer up to date. There was also a jumper to eliminate a 2 minute connection delay that would not stay in place. However both units will do the job they are designed for.

I have had the progressive hard wired and the hughes watchdog hardwire in the current camper. I like the bluetooth on the watchdog. Also if you get a surge on both units they will both protect you the same. The difference is that at that point the progressive becomes a 300 dollar paper weight. The hughes you send off and get a replacement plug in surge board for 29.00 (or already have a spare taped to the top of the unit) and you are good to go again.

I have a hard wired Progressive in our current TT and it has definitely saved us a few times. Again, mostly low voltage situations due to high current loads on hot days. The Progressive units have Lifetime Warranties...no cost to get repaired.

RWTT

After looking at several online sources on these it seems installing one of these hardwired models doesn't seem too difficult. From what I saw the owners were installing the unit between the transfer switch and the RV breaker panel. Am I correct in that? Has anyone here installed one in a Paradigm model?
im not sure you got an answer to your question about the mountin/wiring, but I wired mine between the shore power and the transfer switch.