• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

paradigm solar wiring issues ?

scottv11

I have a new 22 295MK and I am wondering if anyone has had solar wiring issues ? My unit has 2 320watt panels that are working just fine but the wires from the roof to the solar controller (in storage bay) have no continuity. The solar could never have worked. Has anyone else seen this issue and if so was was the resulting fix ?

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Can you elaborate a bit more? Exactly what/where did you have issues? Are you saying your solar has never worked from factory?

scottv11

Yes the unit is new and I have yet to use it. Checking it over found solar not working. 0 volts at controller. Went up on the roof and the 1st thing I found was whoever installed the 2nd panel miswired it. They were attached pos to neg so they cancelled each other out. Fixed that so now I have 38VDC on the roof going into the solar wires. Still no voltage at controller. removed roof plate all there was good but the wires going into the coach showed open. I twisted them together and pulled the wires off the controller they also showed open . so the wires from the roof to the controller are open somewhere.

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
You might want to go back and put them back the way there were, especially in a 2 panel solar array. Wiring POS to NEG is a standard series configuration. A series connection is when you wire the modules together by connecting the positive lead on one module to the negative lead on another module. The male connector will snap directly into the female connector. Here's a simple diagram illustrating this. This increases the voltage of the circuit. For example, if your modules are rated for 18 volts at maximum power (Vmp), then two of them connected in series will measure 36 Vmp

Screenshot 2023-02-25 171434.jpg

scottv11

Unfortunately they were not in series they were wired to each other pos to neg then pos to negative producing 0 volts then connected to coach wires I could have wires them series or parallel these panels are 40 volts each anyway my Renogy controller could handle them either way just need to get the juice to the controller.

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
......Panels are to be hooked up in Parallel.
Respectfully, I would argue the opposite. With a 2 panel array I would suggest a series connection, so the voltage is increased, so the early morning hours, the panels provide enough voltage to the MPPT controller to actually turn it on. Giving the MPPT controller higher voltage will still allow it to do its job of converting the power from panels to correct power level to battery bank. Having said that, I will have a combo on our 340RL with two arrays, each with a 2S3P configuration, each feeding a Victron 150/100 charge controller.

RockDr896

A subtly or smack on the head I missed when reading the post. I have a 3 panel setup. Keep me straight! I think I will lurk more ....and delete my post.

scottv11

Issue is fixed. 1st problem was the miswired panels i did end up with them in parallel . The second issue was behind the control panel both wires have junctions behind there. A combination of the wrong sized wire nut and not stripping enough insulation caused the wire nut to bite on the insulation not the conductors

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Issue is fixed. 1st problem was the miswired panels i did end up with them in parallel . The second issue was behind the control panel both wires have junctions behind there. A combination of the wrong sized wire nut and not stripping enough insulation caused the wire nut to bite on the insulation not the conductors
Nice job finding the problem. Sometimes those can be really hard to figure out.

bhidalgo

An understanding of DC circuits goes a long way. https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/te...chpt-5/what-are-series-and-parallel-circuits/
Haven’t been married to an electrical engineer for 35 yrs without learning a few things.
DC circuits can be a bugger...back in '81 Navy Electronics training was an eye-opener for me. Especially when they started talking about electrons and Hole Flow ( a real thing ) in the same sentence.
LOL I've been married almost 38 and I still haven't learned everything she thinks she knows. She ignores me too. LOL

LuckyDog23

An understanding of DC circuits goes a long way. https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/te...chpt-5/what-are-series-and-parallel-circuits/

DC circuits can be a bugger...back in '81 Navy Electronics training was an eye-opener for me. Especially when they started talking about electrons and Hole Flow ( a real thing ) in the same sentence.
LOL I've been married almost 38 and I still haven't learned everything she thinks she knows. She ignores me too. LOL
Haha yeah I remember hole flow. I actually went through all the SAMS books up through CMOS. My hubby learned a fair amount in the Air Force. Back in the TTL days. Remember NOR gates and OR gates? After learning about MOSFETS and all that stuff I started nursing school and had to learn a whole new bunch of tech - like IV pumps and EKGs etc. and more darn chemistry. SP D and F orbitals! . And things like counter current theory in kidneys. That’s a fun rabbit hole to dive in on a rainy afternoon!

I’d sure hate to see someone inadvertently connect panels and fry themself.

bhidalgo

Haha yeah I remember hole flow. I actually went through all the SAMS books up through CMOS. My hubby learned a fair amount in the Air Force. Back in the TTL days. Remember NOR gates and OR gates? After learning about MOSFETS and all that stuff I started nursing school and had to learn a whole new bunch of tech - like IV pumps and EKGs etc. and more darn chemistry. SP D and F orbitals! . And things like counter current theory in kidneys. That’s a fun rabbit hole to dive in on a rainy afternoon!

I’d sure hate to see someone inadvertently connect panels and fry themself.
Yes old school electronics and microprocessor training - sometimes it gets us all out of a jam.
Agreed on the panel hook up’s. I’m planning to hook my three in parallel. First time messing with panels so hopefully I don’t jack it up and shock the dickens out of myself in the process.

LuckyDog23

You’d likely fling yourself off the roof in the process so even if you’re not electrocuted you’d break something! My husband has expressed concern working that far off the ground. I suggested renting scaffolding. I’ll skip the response.