• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Paradigm 310RL Exterior Ladder - Kayak Mounting thoughts.....

The rear exterior ladder is rated for 250#. My Kayak weighs 70#. Was thinking of making a cradle to set stern into, then ratchet strap to ladder (using swim noddles for rubbing). The kayak is 11', and would stick up above the RV by about 8", not much wind resistance I would think. Appreciate thoughts on this.

If positive, I'd order another ladder for the other side for the 2nd Kayak. Anybody know the manufacturer and model number? I cannot find a sticker on ladder. Thanks.

BryanValRox

Out of all the Alliance owners, is there not one owner that at least has a comment on this? :cool:
Hi there folks, as a fellow 310RL Ally, I will bite here and give you a few things to think about.
1. I would suggest you reach out directly to Alliance Service/Parts to see if they could provide you the ladder manufacturer.
2. Without knowing more about your intent, have you thought about wrestling with an 11foot 70 pound Kayak and trying to get in raised into a given position all while trying to get it strapped into your mount?
3. Sounds like to me that you would also need another ladder to stand on to install your straps to secure your Kayak to the ladder. Obvious straps would be needed along the entire length.
4. Straps alone would not provide me enough comfort, I would think that some sort of secure base mount would be needed to be attach that would provide a hard support for the bottom end of the Kayak giving you solid vertical support.
5. While the ladder is rated for 250lbs, I would guess that is a static rating. Think about 70 plus pounds strapped to this ladder going down the road and the vertical forces that it would be exposed to. Think rough roads, pot holes etc, I would think the forces that you would expose the ladder and it mounting structure would be exponential and could spike well above the rating in certain circumstance. This could lead to a flat out failure or ladder from coach separation.

While my intention is not to be “Debbie Downer”(SNL, if your scratching your head on this reference), I would not feel comfortable with this.

Best regards!

Bryan, amazing reply. I would need a base I would fabricate for sure. I think that your most important point was "While the ladder is rated for 250lbs, I would guess that is a static rating. Think about 70 plus pounds strapped to this ladder going down the road and the vertical forces that it would be exposed to. Think rough roads, pot holes etc, I would think the forces that you would expose the ladder and it mounting structure would be exponential and could spike well above the rating in certain circumstance. This could lead to a flat out failure or ladder from coach separation."

Coach separation scares, so I will abandon that thought. We currently carry on top of the 1TON pull vehicle using Thule kayak racks. We are in our early seventies, so we go thru the bed to slide them in place, as we cannot lift from the sides. I've looked at many purchase options, but nothing exciting stands out.

While we are at RV Park, we just load them up in bed (short bed) of truck. Since we graduated to a 5th wheel, the kayaks have to be loaded more forward, so now I have to come up with a front tie down system to overcome the parachute effect. I already installed a front hitch to come up with something. Thanks for your reply, it helped.

BryanValRox

You are very welcome, just wanted to give you a few things to think about.
I did have one additional thought, the 310RL has a rear receiver hitch. Assuming you stayed within its ratings, could using this be a possibility to meet your needs? Not sure what might be offered commercially or if local fabrication would be needed.
I personally(and this is just my opinion) am not crazy about the ideal of what is sounding more and more like a forced soultion to carry them on the rear.

If you currently have a proven solution carrying them on your truck, that might be the safe bet.

Have a great week end!

Last edited:

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
We went through the same process when we bought our first 5th wheel about 8 years ago. We decided on inflatable Kayak's by "Advanced Elements". We've had these for 8 years and you'd think they are still brand new. Plus...they are lab approved. :cool:

1705189757445.png

BryanValRox

We went through the same process when we bought our first 5th wheel about 8 years ago. We decided on inflatable Kayak's by "Advanced Elements". We've had these for 8 years and you'd think they are still brand new. Plus...they are lab approved. :cool:

View attachment 1631
Hey Jim, love the picture! Rover looks like he/she is content to be Kayaking with Mom and Dad!
Once again the value of this forum is proven from within its membership! You have presented a very simple solution for CiscoRaccoon to consider! Great suggestion!

Sweet. We have 2 animals that also Kayak with us, cats! We love our Vanhunk kayaks as so stable, rudder and paddle system, and seats sit high above the water. Not quite ready to give up. Thanks for the thought though!

Attachments

• IMG_5675.jpeg
    IMG_5675.jpeg
    545.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5670.jpeg
    IMG_5670.jpeg
    542.5 KB · Views: 5