• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Loud Noise like something dropped

Fishfnatic

When I was going through walk through I heard loud sound like something broke when auto leveling. Today at new campsite set up and 2 hours later heard similar sound. Tech at dealer said trailer frame can make noise. Could the hydraulic jack lose its position or could frame torque? We are on level concrete slab?🤬

BryanValRox

Good evening, there is a well documented complaint of “Jack Popping” which sounds like what you might be experiencing . There is a fix which involves removing some of the jack oil and replacing it with an additive or “Fork” oil.
I apologize for not have the details on the recommend oil/additive , but have seen this concern document here before and recall some folks calling Lippert for the recommended solution.

Last edited:

Fishfnatic

Good evening, there is a well documented complaint of “Jack Popping” which sounds like what you might be experiencing . There is a fix which involves removing some of the jack oil and replacing it with an additive or “Fork” oil.
I apologize for not have the details on the recommend oil/additive , but have seen this concern document here before and recall some forks calling Lippert for the recommended solution.
I hate getting on here and just complaining. I sound like a cry baby but it was a big decision to go with alliance. Seems like nothing but problems. I expected some problems but not like this.

BryanValRox

I fully understand and as owners we should not have to endure basic quality issues.
Regarding your noise complaint, use the search feature of this forum and enter key word popping, it will bring back numerous post for your review.
Regards

Bozo

I hate getting on here and just complaining. I sound like a cry baby but it was a big decision to go with alliance. Seems like nothing but problems. I expected some problems but not like this.
Many times, I think I should have kept my old 5’er. My jacks creak as well. Haven’t got around to putting additive in yet, but it does work.

The jack popping noise happens usually during the night when the temperature drops. I don’t believe that is the sound you are experiencing while leveling. I don’t have any suggestions as to what your noise may be caused by.

RockDr896

Having a better than average understanding of hydraulics, since I have designed and manufactured some of my own construction equipment. I am at a loss as to how a popping sound, could be blamed on the fluid or jack cylinders. I would inspect the bolts on the cylinder mounts and see if there are any markings around them, which my indicate a bolt is slipping and may need tightening. Something metal is moving in my opinion.

Bozo

The creaking/popping is a well known issue and the factory recommendation is additive. I didn’t hear mine at all during the winter, but as it gets warmer I hear it frequently again. Which reminds me, I need to get batteries back in it and add the additive, then it’s off to the dealer for some more warranty work.

RockDr896

Well, I learned something new. Apparently it is called Stiction and it is not something I have ever seen in heavy equipment. So I guess it is an argument for maybe cycling your cylinders often, or keeping them clean as well? Sounds like the stiffness of the seal might be in play too. Mine haven't done it yet, but now I know.

1708462974522.png

Bozo

While out messing with the camper today another source of noise is the bands around the lp tanks. Jacks were doing their normal thing. Maybe I’ll get around to adding additive before the weekend.

Fishfnatic

While out messing with the camper today another source of noise is the bands around the lp tanks. Jacks were doing their normal thing. Maybe I’ll get around to adding additive before the weekend.
I just heard sound again like something dropped but nothing did. Second time since Thursday. 3 times in two weeks. Can not figure out what it is. Looked everywhere in and out of camper and cannot find anything. It is like a clunk and something hitting floor but not. I’m thinking it is maybe jack settling? Camper does not move or feel like it drops. Very puzzling.

Fishfnatic

I just heard sound again like something dropped but nothing did. Second time since Thursday. 3 times in two weeks. Can not figure out what it is. Looked everywhere in and out of camper and cannot find anything. It is like a clunk and something hitting floor but not. I’m thinking it is maybe jack settling? Camper does not move or feel like it drops. Very puzzling.
Edit. Jumped too soon. Wife found plant decoration she hung with alien tape.

Bozo

The other thing you have to get used to….expansion and contraction. I have been in my valor a lot lately and the temp swings and sun really get the thing making noise. Also I have paid particular attention to the entry door lately as the friction hinges are getting too sticky, so much so, that I am going to eliminate them. But, the latch will occasionall drag when in direct sunlight/high heat situations. We just had 76 deg day yesterday and overnight was 10 so there is lots of creakyness. And the latch doesn’t drag in the cold.

Fishfnatic

My door has been messed up since we bought and waiting on warranty approval but it works better with striker plate off . Will hardly close with striker plate on.

Bozo

My door has been messed up since we bought and waiting on warranty approval but it works better with striker plate off . Will hardly close with striker plate on.
Yes, that striker plate has a bulge that I plan to flatten to fix the dragging. Waiting on that till I swap the hinges. It would be nice if manufactures would make a door and latch that didn’t require slamming the doors. This is not unique to one manufacturer.

CAT has some great oil additive we drained some and added it and no noise hope it helps with seal long term but that will take a while to decide. thermal expansion due to heat in ductwork is an interesting noise, creaks when getting warm and then creaks when cooling off. i would imagen same in a brick and mortar but better insulation owell i downloaded a map of where to park so its always 70 degrees thru the year and cant wait to try it

Bozo

CAT has some great oil additive we drained some and added it and no noise hope it helps with seal long term but that will take a while to decide. thermal expansion due to heat in ductwork is an interesting noise, creaks when getting warm and then creaks when cooling off. i would imagen same in a brick and mortar but better insulation owell i downloaded a map of where to park so its always 70 degrees thru the year and cant wait to try it
Do you happen to have a link to the cat hyd. additive?

Bozo

Yes, you ought to hear my house pop when extremely cold, you’d swear trusses were breaking.