• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Inverter size 2000w vs 3000w for a Delta 281bh

andy_anderson

We have a Delta 281Bh with the 200w solar on the roof and "inverter prep". So our next two upgrades are going to be a switch to Lithium batteries and an inverter. We're really hoping to just be able to use our coffee maker and watch a few hours of television on inverted power.

Renogy makes a 2000w "power saver" inverter now,and a 3000w with out the "power saver" feature.

Almost all our chargeable item needs (phones, tablets, watches, flashlights) are met by the 12v system.
Heaviest draw might be a hit from the microwave.
Air Conditioner needs would be met with generator power.
my understanding of the inverter prep loop that is run into the front pass through is that once wired in, it will power ALL of the AC/gfci outlets.

Batteries are upgrading from the terrible dealer installed 64ah LA battery to 200ah or 300ah lithium (initially). We have a portable generator that can run during the day to top off the system and supplement the solar, and we'd only be inverting to run the television and an apple tv or streaming device. Looking forward to hearing all your thoughts. were not extreme boondockers, and only make one or two trips a year without hookups so the likely hood of investing in significantly more solar is slim.

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Normally, I am ALL in on helping someone build the perfect Solar and Inverter setup. However, with your situation, I am going to recommend NOT installing a inverter as this is ONLY used in your RV and is a large price, once purchased and installed (est...$4,000+). I think you'll be way better off with a "Solar Inverter" (ie..battery pack) from someone like Jackery or Bluetti. I have linked each in previous sentence. With either one of these, you can plug your RV directly into the device and have full power to the RV. Now...don't get crazy and try to run microwave, hairdryer and coffee maker all at the same time, but each will be able to run seperatly. This should easiley get you through the one to two trips a year that you will boondock...PLUS...you can use it anywhere. Back at home...kids soccer game...at the beach...next RV after the Delta 281BH...loan it to another camping buddy for the weekend.

If it does get low during the 1-2 boondocking trips, you could use your existing generator and top it back up. ;)

I would also recommend only 1x100amp hr battery for now, if you go this route. No need to have a lot of battery power in the RV, for those 1-2 days a year.

Now...that seems like I am not a fan of installed solar...however I am VERY much a fan of Solar. My Facebook Group is "Solar Powered RV's and Boondocking" and we have just about 63,000 members...so I really really like solar. I just think this is a better solution for your needs.

Last edited: