• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Installed Progressive Dynamics PD1620A and LIFEPO Battery

billbaio

Just purchased a Paradigm 390 MP which has a Progressive Dynamics PD 1620 A Inverter/ Charger. The battery that came in the unit is a 27 AH lead acid cell. I am intending on replacing it with a LIFEPO 100 AH battery with cold and hot sensing. Will this power converter sense this battery or is there a setting on this unit that needs to be changed?

darrell

On my 2021 390MP there was a toggle on the PD that you had to switch. It was exposed on the main panel, you did not have to get to the converter charger itself. If yours is new, ymmv.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Just purchased a Paradigm 390 MP which has a Progressive Dynamics PD 1620 A Inverter/ Charger. The battery that came in the unit is a 27 AH lead acid cell. I am intending on replacing it with a LIFEPO 100 AH battery with cold and hot sensing. Will this power converter sense this battery or is there a setting on this unit that needs to be changed?
Here's what I find in the Manual for the 1600 series regarding Lithium:

- Page 5: To protect both the inverter and the battery bank the PD1600 series inverter has been designed with integral under voltage and over voltage protection. These voltage limits are designed to operate with a lead-acid battery bank without damaging the batteries. The inverter may also be used with a 12V lithium ion battery pack (LiFePO4) with a properly configured BMS. See Specifications on page 15 for voltage limits.

- Page 10: PD1600 series inverters are compatible with BOTH lithium and lead acid batteries.

Here's a link to the manual in the Owner Empowerment area of our corporate website.

Focker

On my 2021 390MP there was a toggle on the PD that you had to switch. It was exposed on the main panel, you did not have to get to the converter charger itself. If yours is new, ymmv.
Same with the Valors, there is a little switch that is easily changed right in the panel.

Attachments

• PD4500-Lithium-Switch.png
    PD4500-Lithium-Switch.png
    962.1 KB · Views: 11

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
@billbaio - I'm pretty sure that while the 1620A is Lithium compatible per the manual, the device is actually an Inverter-only and not an Inverter/Charger.

As @darrell and @Focker have mentioned, the battery charging in our build is done via the Converter that is typically part of the breaker/fuse panel. The Charging Mode switch does need to be moved to Li. Here's a tip doc on that.