• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

I need help identifying some of my key locks

rfs830

So im trying to make sure I get all new locks for my RV but I'm kind of getting lost. I saw that you all like to use Bauer for lock. I am also looking at latch.it for locks as well but I really like the main Bluetooth lock that Bauer has though. Bauer also helped me to identify some of my locks but I wanted to also check with you all. I have 395DS. I can upload pictures if that will help. I will try to do that tomorrow.

I think the front looks in the generator area and the auto level area are called cam locks? I think the garbage door and garage door locks are called slam locks?

Sorry for all the questions. I want to make sure I get the right locks. I also want to see if there is way I can lock my propane takes as well.

Thanks in advance.

Whitewolf

Front storage(gen location), auto level and both propane doors are 'Cam Locks'. The 'Slam Latch' locks are at the basement(garage, pass thru storage) doors and the garbage door.

Basically if it has a silver wing nut style latch, it's a cam lock. If you pull the handle to open, it's a slam latch.

Bauer is great to work with. I bought new cam locks for the propane doors(one for each side) and replaced the front storage and leveler door locks. Also the entrance door lock. Even though it's a touch pad, you still get a key. I had all these locks keyed alike with the same number that I picked. I also sent all 4 basement slam latches to Bauer for them to rekey to the same number.

Now I carry 1 key for all the locks.

rfs830

Thank you for the info. I have one key for all the locks at the moment but from what Im told others also have this same key. Can you link me the lock you used for your propane door? I will need to messure the cam locks to order them soon. First will be the main door though.

Thanks again for the help.

Terri&KevinGates

I believe the reason the propane doors don’t have locks is because National Fire Protection and DOT regulations prohibit it. You can lock the cylinders to the trailer but not the access to them.

Whitewolf

The most common number manufacturers use is 357. The higher number you choose the better the security. I would suggest calling and discussing a number for your locks.

This is the cam lock I used. https://bauerproducts.com/product/sci-cam-lock/ I believe I ordered the .875 size The best thing to do is to remove one and measure the length of threaded area.

The auto level door uses a 'Barb Cam Lock'. https://bauerproducts.com/product/sci-barb-cam-lock/

I believe the reason the propane doors don’t have locks is because National Fire Protection and DOT regulations prohibit it. You can lock the cylinders to the trailer but not the access to them.
That makes sense. That is probably why manufacturers don't put locks on propane doors. I may have to rethink what I did.

rfs830

thanks for that info. I will have to research how to lock the tanks.

rfs830

The most common number manufacturers use is 357. The higher number you choose the better the security. I would suggest calling and discussing a number for your locks.

This is the cam lock I used. https://bauerproducts.com/product/sci-cam-lock/ I believe I ordered the .875 size The best thing to do is to remove one and measure the length of threaded area.

The auto level door uses a 'Barb Cam Lock'. https://bauerproducts.com/product/sci-barb-cam-lock/

That makes sense. That is probably why manufacturers don't put locks on propane doors. I may have to rethink what I did.
Thanks for the info. the key have now is not a 357 but I still think I want to get all new locks down the road. At the moment I may just do the main door for now to make it easy for the family and then do the other locks here soon.