• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

How much physical abuse can a solar panel take?

nicklee

I am thinking about mounting a large solar panel on the front of my travel trailer and wonder if I would need to protect it while under travel? Many older travel trailers that had windows on the front had a cover that you would lower/lock while under travel to protect it and then raise it once parked so you could see out. My trailer does not have a window up front but I could devise a hinge with brackets and sliders that would allow me to lower and lock it in place under travel, and raise it at camp.

I'm wondering if it could take the abuse of wind, sand, occasional rock, while under way? It would be mounted up high and behind the full size truck with topper so would have a fair amount of protection from road debris. Bugs would be an issue for sure so it would require regular cleaning and maintenance. I'm concerned about how easily it might be damaged? If necessary, I could devise a cover to wrap it while under way but then I lose the charge during that time.

Any thoughts/advice?

nicklee

Thank you. I'm not sure. I was thinking that the panels had to be very strong to install on the roof where hail might fall.

mooree

Choosing a solar system comes down to supply and demand. Calculate RV electricity needs with an automated calculator based on variables and location.

Last edited: