• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

HELP! - 12V Only when plugged into Shore Power

TheRayQuelines

Update:
Tried to edit earlier but had connectivity issues.
May be a false alarm. Believe there is a power issue with the campground shore power.
Not sure why I still had lights on the surge- they are no longer illuminated.

2021 372 RK
Did a quick search unable to locate a similar thread,

Awoke at 4AM to sound of the no power alarm on the refrigerator.
Upon investigation it seems nothing is working off of 50A Shore Power.
Only 12V components?
Interior lights are OK, No AC/Fans- No fireplace.
Fridge is working off propane.
Furnace does fire and blow air.
Oven ignitors will not spark.
Can not reset the GFI circuit in the bathroom.
No outlets seem to have power
Fireplace does not work.
I have unplugged from shore power removed surge protector (all lights were fine).
Switched all breakers off then on.

Last edited:

BryanValRox

Hi folks sorry you are experiencing issues! Wonder perhaps if your coach is equipped with a genset or possibly an invertor? Is it possible that a transfer switch is involved somewhere in the circuit? Is there anyway you can validate that you have power to the “Distribution Panel with a Volt Meter. Could you check for the same at the GFI that won’t reset? I might be stating the obvious to some, but certainly it is important to understand the root cause of the tripped GFI. My opinion is the root cause of your problem lies with the tripped and non resettable GFI. Any sign’s of moisture around any of the GFI protected outlets? If it were me I would validate the panel feed first and work the issue from that testing. If working with voltage is outside of your comfort zone, certainly it would best to engage an electrician.

Hope this helps or at least gives you some additional checks to make!

Bryan

BryanValRox

Outlets would be 120volts, so they would normally be fed from , shore power, Genset or inverter. 12volts would of course feed the invertor(if you have one) and in turn the invertor would output 120v. I believe your rig‘s panel would also have an integral “Convertor” which would help manage the shore power input and take the shore power and convert some of its input to 12v to charge the coach battery.

Last edited:

TheRayQuelines

Outlets would be 120volts, so they would normally be fed from , shore power, Genset or inverter. 12volts would of course feed the invertor(if you have one) and in turn the invertor would output 120v. I believe your rig‘s panel would also have an integral “Convertor” which would help manage the shore power input and take the shore power and convert some of its input to 12v to charge the coach battery.
Thanks for your input! Hoping power is restored soon. Its a bit chilly this AM and not trying to burn through too much propane.

Mazboy

do what we all do....start with the 120voltage at shore power and start there. try with and without the surge protector. try another shore power.
go from there. good luck. you can then check voltage at convertor to see if 120 voltage is coming into the rv.

bhidalgo

Glad the issue was park related and not a problem with the rig. If I said I had never troubleshot a phantom power problem with my rig I’d be lying. Two times in the 2 years we’ve owned our rig - on a hot Summer day in Florida both times - I’ve done an Oh 💩! Did arrival pre-setup power pole check with surge protector, then turned power off at pole. Unhooked truck and leveled RV, hooked up water, then went inside and AC won’t turn on. Hmm, breakers good, inverter on, hmmm. Oh wait - 💩 - go turn the power back on outside!! Hang head and go back to power pole. Then, head back into rig after flipping 50 amp breaker back to On - hanging head - in shame. Wife laughs - I laugh - I turn on AC - then I have a beer. Happy ending. So, we all do questionable stuff here and then laugh about it afterwards when we realize what happened. Have a great time out there and be safe. Bill